cat on patio safe?

orangetabgurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i know this sounds or might sound strange but my cat loves to sit on the patio and watch stuff, he is an inside cat ( I am in a one bedroom) and he always has been but lately he has been whining at the screen patio door, so when I am home I let him sit on the patio. recently, like a cat does he jumps up on the ledge..I live in a condo the second story..Too far for him to jump, and he has never tried it, but he isn't microchipped and he doesn't have a collar. A part of me is afraid he will just jump, but it seems too high, yet cats have known to do werider things. Should I not let him go out there? I keep a close eye on him and only let him on when I'm home, I WOULD NEVER LET HIM go out when I wasn't...and he has been doing this for a month no problems...(granted none of the birds come to the bird feeder anymore) and I don't let him go out at nite either.. Any feelings? cuz I am not going to let him go out, I live near mountains with coyotes etc..so he would be allowed to go out on his own...I tried walking him on leash (cat harness getup) but he flops like a dead fish LOL

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there any way that you could have the patio enclosed with screening or something? I would worry that he would fall off the patio.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The flopping-like-a-dead-fish thing on a harness is actually a normal first stage... if you're serious about harness training I can help you out!

But, I wouldn't allow him out where he can fall. You being out there with him doesn't prevent him falling, because he can fall a lot faster than you can move to catch him. Depending on what kind of two floors you're talking, he could be very seriously injured even if he does land on his feet.

Can you keep him from getting on the ledge? What kind of fence/wall/etc does the patio have and how tall is it?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by orangetabgurl

i know this sounds or might sound strange but my cat loves to sit on the patio and watch stuff, he is an inside cat ( I am in a one bedroom) and he always has been but lately he has been whining at the screen patio door, so when I am home I let him sit on the patio. recently, like a cat does he jumps up on the ledge..I live in a condo the second story..Too far for him to jump, and he has never tried it, but he isn't microchipped and he doesn't have a collar. A part of me is afraid he will just jump, but it seems too high, yet cats have known to do werider things. Should I not let him go out there? I keep a close eye on him and only let him on when I'm home, I WOULD NEVER LET HIM go out when I wasn't...and he has been doing this for a month no problems...(granted none of the birds come to the bird feeder anymore) and I don't let him go out at nite either.. Any feelings? cuz I am not going to let him go out, I live near mountains with coyotes etc..so he would be allowed to go out on his own...I tried walking him on leash (cat harness getup) but he flops like a dead fish LOL
I am just afraid that one day he is going to see something that he gets so excited about that he will forget and will jump.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lakeriedog

Is there any way that you could have the patio enclosed with screening or something? I would worry that he would fall off the patio.
I agree - we had a member who recently reported - I forget the name - that their cat did jump and fell into a bush, kitty was OK, but obviously very stressed by it all, and of course, it could have been a lot worse too

So I think an enclosure is the only way you will feel 100% sure that nothing can happen

crt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree that it might be best not to let him out there. I had a cat who absolutely loved going out on the balcony and I couldn't resist his pleas. But he insisted on jumping up on the railing and strutting his stuff one too many times, lost his balance or footing and fell down onto the tile patio below me. It was a pretty big fall. Luckily, he wasn't hurt, but it sure scared the heck out of both of us. I won't let either of my kitties out there anymore.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never let my cats out when I had a balcony because I was too afraid of them jumping. Is there anyway you can put something up to keep him off the railings? My thought was something on the outside ledge that kind of leans or curvs in so that even if he does get up there he can't go over the edge.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I'd train him for harness and leash and tie him out - but not far enough for him to get over the edge and hang himself. One day a bird will fly by too close and your cat will be over the ledge!