Cat peeing on specific items only

loving_mia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A little background: I have a very sweet, very timid cat named Mia. She has been with us for about 5 years. She was an older kitten when she came to us and we wonder if maybe she had a bad experience before that because she has always been afraid of everything. She does not like other people, children, loud noises, or anything like that and pretty much hides unless the house is quiet and then she will come out and spend time with my husband and I.

The situation: After several years of trying to be parents we have finally been able to bring home our adopted son. He is 17 months old and very active and loud. Mia is not happy. She hides in our bedroom most of the day and we keep the door closed so that the baby can't go in and bother her. She didn't act out for the first two months the baby was here, but the last few weeks she has started urinating on some of his belongings. She does this at night when we are not around. She went on my baby carrier, on the baby's carseat when we brought it inside one day, etc.

What can I do? I am very careful to never let her feel trapped by the baby - she always has a safe place to go since we have a gate set up that the baby can't get past. I have tried to pay extra attention to her when the baby is not around in case that might help, but it hasn't.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh... that must be so hard for you. I don't really know anything, but it occurs to me that you might try putting your son's scent on Mia -- rubbing her with a piece of his clothing now and then, for example. And maybe vice versa, as well -- so they each smell like the other.

And y'know, I don't think it's too early to start teaching your son how to be a good friend to cats. I began with my nephew by explaining that you have to be very gentle with cats, because they get scared so easily. This hit home with him, because of course little boys get scared, too!

Little by little, he learned how to pet a cat, to let the cat come to him, to talk quietly when cats are around, never to hold onto a cat that wants to leave... and now he's just wonderful with all our cats!

But of course, that will take time... and Mia is scared now. I'm sure others will have some better ideas for you, but the scent transfer might help, and perhaps a Feliway Comfort Zone diffuser would reduce Mia's general anxiety level. Good luck!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me that she feels put aside since the baby has come into your home. Cats do not take kindly to a new presence in the home, especially if they feel pushed aside or not the center of affection as well. I would try to make her part of your new life with your son. In a safe way of course, slowly invite Mia into that world, let her watch your affection and care of him while you talk to her. I always suggest strongly talking to our pets is very important. Our ability to communicate with animals is to easily dismissed. Always keep an eye on the introductions, and talk t6o her and your son about each other before hand, explain the sensitivity and love there. I hope it goes as well as I feel it will!

By the way, my fuzzy butt is a Maia as well!

arolson87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten did the same thing when I moved in with my male roommate last summer. He had never urinated on anything but his litter box, and a few weeks after I moved in, he started urinating on a lot of my roommates stuff, including his bed!! I asked my vet and he informed me that my kitten felt threatened by another male presence in the apartment, and wanted to show his dominance and jealousy (crazy as it sounds) to the other male. A few months later though he got used to my roommate being around and stopped urinating on his stuff and became friendly. I think its just the initial phase of having another seemingly dominant creature in the house. Maybe give your kitty some time to get used to the baby and vice versa! Hope this helps!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arolson87

My kitten did the same thing when I moved in with my male roommate last summer. He had never urinated on anything but his litter box, and a few weeks after I moved in, he started urinating on a lot of my roommates stuff, including his bed!! I asked my vet and he informed me that my kitten felt threatened by another male presence in the apartment, and wanted to show his dominance and jealousy (crazy as it sounds) to the other male. A few months later though he got used to my roommate being around and stopped urinating on his stuff and became friendly. I think its just the initial phase of having another seemingly dominant creature in the house. Maybe give your kitty some time to get used to the baby and vice versa! Hope this helps!
T

I think this post is right on target. Your new child has a whole new set of smells, and Mia was there first. By urinating on some of his things she is asserting her dominance and making him hers.

My Ginger kitten urinated on my bed once when she was new to my household, and subsequent research showed that she was making me hers by blending our smells.

I would take a baby blanket that your child has been wrapped in, slept on, drooled on, and use it underneath her food dishes. This way she will associate his smell with good things (food) and the marking behavior should go away once she feels that your son "belongs."