cat litter

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there any type of cat litter that is dangerous? Do you have a favorite brand? i heard clumping cat litter is not safe but it works SOOO much better than regular clay because the pee actually comes out when i do my daily cleaning. I do change all the litter but not as frequently as just scooping so with the clumping it does not smell as fast because there is no or little pee that stays in the box after being scooped. So what do you think about clumping litter and other brands?

angie8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Clumping litter isn't really dangerous unless it's ingested in large amounts (& I don't know too many kitties who would eat large amounts of litter
). Also, in the interest of safety, I wouldn't recommend using it with very young or tiny kittens as it wouldn't take much to create an obstruction in their tiny little GI systems.

As far as brands, my favorite is Scoop Away........I've tried just about every other kind out there at one point or another and always come back to Scoop Away--can't beat it's clumping ability and odor control. I rarely ever have to empty and refill a litter box.........the litter stays clean enough with regular scooping that I can just top it off as needed.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angie8

As far as brands, my favorite is Scoop Away
Sure it clumps well, but YUCK
I've never smelled a more perfumed litter then that one. It's dusty too, the dust and perfume seem to cling to everything, the cats, my hands, clothes, my nose.
I used it once and every time after scooping the smell would be stuck in my nose for hours.

I usually use Tidy cat multi-cat scoopable, it doesn't clump as well as some but the scent isn't overwhelming to the point that it makes me sick or sets off DH's asthma.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 6 cats, and one super huge box (I scoop several times a day and completely change litter twice a week).
I was using a combo of Tidy Cats Multi-Cats clumping and Tidy Cat Anti-bacterial clumping.
I loved it, but it wasn't great on odor control.

Now I'm using Litter Purrfect, natural clay clumping with lemongrass and baking soda, no smell, clumps hard, I really like it and more importantly, the cats like it.

Perfumed litter makes me sneeze my head off and the cats really don't like the scented litters either, but the lemongrass scent in the Litter Purrfect is not a perfume and it is very, very subtle.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I have 6 cats, and one super huge box (I scoop several times a day and completely change litter twice a week)
I'm sort of imaging you using something the size of a kid's sandbox, like the plastic turtle ones. That would spark interesting comments from guests!

Originally Posted by Arlyn

Now I'm using Litter Purrfect, natural clay clumping with lemongrass and baking soda, no smell, clumps hard, I really like it and more importantly, the cats like it.
I don't believe I've seen that brand. I have wondered before if adding natural safe things to the litter to cover smells would work.

tjwharton24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where would i get that? Do i need to go to Petsmart,Petco and or Target I know walmart deff doesn't have it.

Also some advice, My Azella is about to give birth here in the net week. When the kittens are old enough for mom to litter train. What would be a good litter to use?

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use walmarts Special kitty clumping crystal for multiple cats. No perfumed smell, clumps well and not much dust My cats have no problem with it. Price is excellent too. Comes in a 28# plastic bag for $6.69.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I'm sort of imaging you using something the size of a kid's sandbox, like the plastic turtle ones. That would spark interesting comments from guests!
Actually, MIL uses several kiddie pools for her boxes, last I checked, she had some 20 odd resident cats and always has some fosters.
She runs her own non-profit cat sanctuary out of her home.

For mine, just try and picture a 150 gallon or so tall aquarium and that'd be pretty close.
It takes a full 40 pounds of litter when we change it out completely.

Litter Purrfect I found at Costco, I'll have to do some looking to see if it is just a Costco brand.

ok, all I could find was a blurb on lisaviolet's site, but there is an e-mail and snail mail address for Litter Purrfect there.
http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/litterpurrfect.html