Why do they do this???

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I visit a specific garden center about this time every spring as they sell many trees and shrubs bareroot. (no soil around roots-it's less expensive) I make the 90 mile (one way) trek this morning to see that they did not have about 40% of the plants in stock!!!
The bareroot room employee said they didn't get all they stock in yet-maybe within a week. Grrr I'm not going to make another trek there-plus they didn't even have their seed potatoes either (double grrr.) Why when I called last week didn't the person I spoke with mention this!

On the other hand I did buy a peach tree (Relience) a dwarf cranberry bush viburnam, a dwarf lilac(Blue wonder), 5 shrub roses, grass seed, more seeds, nitrile garden gloves, caladium bulbs, a houseplant and two cool containers for outdoors!!

And on my way home stopped to visit another potential client!!

All in all not a too bad day.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww what a headache!
I hate it when wholesalers/centers do that. As a florist i can somewhat relate. Haha i'm going to have tons of questions for you when i get my own shop! / Did you call ahead before you made the drive to see if they had it in stock? I'm glad you at least had a good consult with your potential client! That's always good!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No..... I going to remember that for next yr (not that I really needed any of the items I bought to begin with-$254.32 eek!!)
This client I was going to do some work last yr but we never connected and it really wasn't out of the way going home .
Did you get you sellers permit yet-your state might let you apply online!! Mine was only $20 and its good for 2 years!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

No..... I going to remember that for next yr (not that I really needed any of the items I bought to begin with-$254.32 eek!!)
This client I was going to do some work last yr but we never connected and it really wasn't out of the way going home .
Did you get you sellers permit yet-your state might let you apply online!! Mine was only $20 and its good for 2 years!!
No, not yet - i had so much going on with being sick recently and now my 6 foster kittens. I need to get on that though! Colin's dad recently told me you can apply online too- thanks for mentioning that! I will see if i can do that
I'm wondering if i can just use my SS# as my tax id number. I'll have to see. Since i don't have a shop now that could work since i'm just working out of the house on the side. It'll probably be a few years before i'm able to get my shop so i guess it's something to think about. / So what all are you looking into doing for your new client's yard? Landscaping seems soo neat! My area of expertise is definitely fresh cut flowers/design....but i'm trying to learn as much as i can about gardening/ potted plants as well. I will sell potted plants/smaller scale ones when i get my shop- but i doubt i'll look into having a shop/greenhouse like some of the other ones around here- it seems like it would be too much to start out with.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad the day turned around for you. It really stinks that you drove all that way and didn't get all you needed. I have a question for you if you don't mind. Here goes.

I have been seeing the cutest little trees around for sale lately. They are azalea trees, and they have a braided trunk. Have you seen any of those? Do you know if they are good for people that are not generally good with plants? I thought maybe a tree would be harder for me to kill. I love plants, but usually have bad luck with them. I nursed 5 mini rose bushes along for 3 years, but an unexpected freeze killed them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There most likely are "real" trees but either azaleas grafted on to some sort of root stock (look for a roundish lump were the stem connects with the plant part) or grown azaleas with some pruning done to create this look. They might not get a whole lot bigger than what size they are now. They would require the same care as an azalea however (acid fertilzer/pt shade). Your climate is good for azaleas though (mine is not!!) Can these be kept in a container vs planting in the ground??
I saw forsythia "trees" at one nursery yesterday-these are usually multi stemmed shrubs-more a novelty than anything else.