Dunkin' Donuts Coffee vs. Starbucks vs. McD vs. local coffee shops. Which is better?

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have heard that Dunkin' Donuts coffee is one of the top ranking coffee in the nation. I don't know if that is true since there isn't one around where I live, CA
. So, I can't try it out. According to some taste ratings, McDonalds coffee is also better than Starbucks. For those of you have had or is having a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee, how does it taste compare to others? I would like to know before I order their beans online.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't had any Dunkin coffee since the early 80s and it sucked back then.
McD's coffee always tastes bitter, like they just add fresh ground on top of already brewed grinds.
Starbuck's coffee is over roasted, nearly burnt.
When Starbuck's was a small coffee shop in Pike Place Seattle, they had excellent roasts.
After they went corporate, money mattered more than a good brew.

Small roast shops have the best coffees (I'm talking places that roast onsite).
Second to those, I'll take Nordstrom's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Haven't had any Dunkin coffee since the early 80s and it sucked back then.
McD's coffee always tastes bitter, like they just add fresh ground on top of already brewed grinds.
Starbuck's coffee is over roasted, nearly burnt.
When Starbuck's was a small coffee shop in Pike Place Seattle, they had excellent roasts.
After they went corporate, money mattered more than a good brew.

Small roast shops have the best coffees (I'm talking places that roast onsite).
Second to those, I'll take Nordstrom's.
Nordstrom's? The little coffee shop that they always have on the side near the entrance?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup but you have to make sure they are using their own roasts as some use Starbuck's.

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I should give that a try sometime when I am at Nordstrom.

How you take your coffee? Black?

Oh, I have to say I like the Starbuck's Christmas blend during the holiday season. That one was a great blend.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, plain black coffee (unless it's a latte) and I'm a stickler, it really has to be fresh.

Oh and if your Nordy's stand uses Tully's Or Seatle's Best, those are good roasts too.

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree. It has to be fresh.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here at home I keep what I call "utility coffee" usually medium roast Folger's, but I also have whole bean for esspresso and a third for pure enjoyment.

The utility coffee I use when I just need caffiene and I keep it on the counter and use tap water to brew.
My good coffees though I store in the freezer in air tight containers and only use spring water to brew them.

Of my home coffees, my current favorite is from the Christopher Bean Coffee Company.
I use their Jamaican Blue Mountain for my evening (enjoyment) coffee.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mmmmm...I used to love Dunkin's, but I think that they cut the amount of coffee that they sue and now it is weak. (IMO) Starbucks - good - but way too much $$$$!
I haven't tried McD's but I think that they advertise that they use Green Mountain, which is my favorite brand. I love G.M. Especially Newman's Own Organic Special blend - I try and only drink organic and Newman contributes his profits to charity!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you like really strong, bitter coffee, order Starbucks.

McD's is middle of the road. Anytime I've had it it tasted watery.

D&D is my drug of choice. Not too bitter, not too mellow. They did change their brew about a decade ago, for the better, as far as I am concerned.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO Dunkin Donuts is the BEST coffee...we don't have one near me, but every corner in NY where I used to live, the first thing I do when I get to NY is go to Dunkin Donuts!!...I crave this coffee!!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dunkin Donuts & Starbucks give me heartburn & I drink tons of coffee. If it isn't my coffee (Chock full of Nuts) I prefer WAWA or diner's coffee

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no comparison- Starbucks is best!!!!!
And if you have certain medical conditions - it's really great because they'll pretty much fix your coffee however you want it. The atmosphere is great, i like the music they play, and the selection is wonderful! The only thing i dislike is the price. But as far as taste goes- Starbucks is my favorite

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where the heck are the other Canadians on here?!?

TIM HORTONS!
Best. Coffee. Ever.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This won't be of help to you, but we don't have a Starbucks or a DD here. Never had McD's coffee. I've always liked local coffee shops. They're so cozy and the drinks are good.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

TIM HORTONS!
Best. Coffee. Ever.
Oh jeez, I didn't even think of Timmys and we have two here! If you're a stickler about what kind of coffee you drink, come up to Canada for Tims!!

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Oh jeez, I didn't even think of Timmys and we have two here! If you're a stickler about what kind of coffee you drink, come up to Canada for Tims!!
How about FedEx it over?

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love starbucks also, but it gets too expensive. I order coffee to make at home from Gevalia..um is the best coffee I have ever had for home..

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

TIM HORTONS!
Best. Coffee. Ever.
Exactly what I was thinking while I was reading this whole topic. Even though I have worked at 3 different Tim Hortons, its still my favourite coffee and $1.39 for a large is a really reasonable price.