Recall may affect humans

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FDA cant verify if the wheat gluten in pet recall did not get into the human chain.... that came from a morning show( either good morning americia or the other one
)

well that answers the feed vs human grade .... it must have been human which made the FDA start looking

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fit did make into human foods, did they say what side effects it would have on humans?

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

FDA cant verify if the wheat gluten in pet recall did not get into the human chain.... that came from a morning show( either good morning americia or the other one
)

well that answers the feed vs human grade .... it must have been human which made the FDA start looking
I was thinking the exact same thing!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am more than ticked off about this. Yesterday right before i left work we got yet ANOTHER update to the recall. I was sooooooo upset
I had just given all of the kitties and dogs treats before i was getting ready to leave (we spoil them rotten at our shelter
) Not even 5 minutes after i gave the entire cat room their treats, Kathy our secretary came out with the new list and said it had just been recalled. I was sooo upset- i hope to goodness i didn't hurt those babies
We have had to throw out over 2/3 of our dontated foods because it is on the recall list. I have also had to throw out a ton of my things i've personally bought for my foster animals and my own. Last night i went up to Petsmart to check on our kitties there from our shelter. While i was there i was upset to see that many things on the recall were still on the shelves- so i immedately told the manager about the latest recall - and he pulled everything that was on the latest list (we are all friends up there- thank goodness our local Petsmart is trying to stay on top of everything!) When i was at work yesterday, the lady who runs the shelter and I were talking with the other animal control officers. Talking about how even though it's a "conspiracy" theory at the moment- it could be something terrorism related...because if you think about it- wheat gluetin is in sooo many things. How easy would it be for China to sneak something in our pets foods so we worry about them and are too busy worrying about their diets to notice our own. I'm not saying that's what it is- but i thought it was an interesting spin on it that they had brought up. What do ya'll think? Also- not even two weeks ago i had severe food poisioning that was soo bad it caused colitis and put me into the hosptial....kinda makes me wonder
but who knows! At the moment, i'm just trying to wrack my brains along with the rest of our shelter staff to figure out WHAT we can give our animals now. We rely on donations- so something like this is just a nightmare.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nikki, at the shelter here, our biggest worry is people donating these treats & foods a few months down the road. We will not be feeding any of the affected foods for a year down the road, just to be extra cautious. That means that we have the throw away donations & the shelter is so tight on money right now....

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Nikki, at the shelter here, our biggest worry is people donating these treats & foods a few months down the road. We will not be feeding any of the affected foods for a year down the road, just to be extra cautious. That means that we have the throw away donations & the shelter is so tight on money right now....
I know
I'm just praying none of our prescious little shelter babies get sick from me giving them treats yesterday
I didn't know- and now i feel aweful that i got the updated recall not even 5 minutes after i gave those to them
/ We have had to go through the entire shelter just about every single day to dump out our donated foods/treats/etc. Money is sooo tight here too - it's frusterating. Thankfully, we haven't had anyone "recently" try to dump off bad food on us that we know of. Most people that donate to our shelter are really sweet and get them good quality foods. We're not even worrying about the codes/dates- if the product is on the recall list /brand- we dump it out-it's not worth risking it. The thing that stinks is we've had to throw out almost every can of soft food. I don't know how ya'll do it at your shelter- but at ours, we have MASSIVE trash cans that we pour the dry food into - it's all mixed in together- so we really don't know what's in the bottom of the trash cans/etc what's in there. So we had to dump out ALL of those trash cans full of good food just to be safe
We are all beyond stressed out. We had locked everything up so that no visitors can give treats/etc just to be safe as well.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to get in touch tomorrow with the shelter I volunteer at (probably before shopping) to see what they need so I can find some "Safe" foods for them!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I'm going to get in touch tomorrow with the shelter I volunteer at (probably before shopping) to see what they need so I can find some "Safe" foods for them!!
You are soo sweet! I'm sure your shelter loves you!!
We have volunteers like you around our shelter too- i can't tell you how much we all love them! They're soo wonderful!