Protective of the litterbox?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mojo is an odd girl.

She seems to be very protective of her litterbox. It goes beyond just hopping in while/right after I'm scooping. The past couple of nights when I'm scooping, as soon as I'm done she will lay down in it until I put the top back on. (YUK Kitty! I know I just cleaned it, but still...)

The one time she witnessed me dumping the old litter from one of the litterboxes, she peed where it should have been, and she was just plain MAD that I had the nerve to mess with her box! (She's healthy, and that is the only time she has peed outside the box.)

Obviously I have to scoop, and she lets me...mostly. But I also have to change the litter, which she REALLY doesn't like.

Any ideas of how to break her of the attachment to her litterboxes? Anyone else have a cat with this odd fixation, and how do you deal with it?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd just put her in the next room when I cleaned up... easier than fighting over it.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry Heidi, this is where Mojo and her twin Koko differ. It looks like she needs to be locked out of the room during litter changing time. That's a new one on me!!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that what is nice about summer, heyu can watch the birds how i clean the box. or she will keep trying to get in how i am cleaning in. scoops, push her back, scoop push her back

the times i change it out all the litter she is in there for 20 min, and sounds like she is changing eveything around, lol

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are very protective of their litter box. It has their scent and it's a "safe" place for them. When you change the box you are getting rid of their scent and territory.

When I do a complete litter change it's a mad rush between my 2 to see who gets there to use it first
Neither of them get mad but both will sit in a spot where they can see what I'm doing and watch me.