Don't worry... but we are gonig to the vet today!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr Claw is going back to the vet today. His coat is in bad shape, so we are going to work up another game plan. I'm going to see if she can totally shave him down.

Can I have vibes that this visit isn't too expensive? I love my vet, but I think that I've paid off half of her student loans!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, I hear ya on the $$$! Good luck. Poor Dr Claw, I really hope this works for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

aww, wont they do a buy two visits get one free - think you are owed a few
Hope Dr Claw gets some good news
I'd love it if she did that! Like a coffee card for vet visits!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

Sending lots of quick, easy, and cheap vibes to you! BTW have you tried a hydrocortizone shampoo on him? Worked wonders for Kitters!
No! But I shall ask for some at the vet today!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good luck....and about the cortizone shampoo - what's that all about. . .luxor's coat is not all that great around his neck from itching. . . .

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Have you been yet?? What time is the appointment?
$190.00 later we are back! We are still in the rule out process of what this could be. So far we know it's not: mites, fleas, dermatitis, auto-immune, fungus or food. What we are perusing now: environmental. I made an appointment with a dermatologist for July, and he's on Revolution and a vitamin supplement right now. We are doing a second round of blood testing, so I should know the results of that in the morning.

Thanks for the vibes guys!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

$190.00 later we are back!
Erp!

We'll have do do a little better with our vibes, people!

Sorry about that, Heather!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

$190.00 later we are back! We are still in the rule out process of what this could be. So far we know it's not: mites, fleas, dermatitis, auto-immune, fungus or food. What we are perusing now: environmental. I made an appointment with a dermatologist for July, and he's on Revolution and a vitamin supplement right now. We are doing a second round of blood testing, so I should know the results of that in the morning.

Thanks for the vibes guys!
out of curiosity, what are you feeding that handsome little guy? it might be a food allergy. it took us forever to figure that out with my wolf mix, ginger. once we switched her- her skin cleared up and got soooo much better! i hope ya'll are able to figure out what it is with the little fella
he's soo cute! has mange been ruled out yet? (not to scare you -it's actually pretty treatable- i dip animals at our shelter for it all the time) that could be something to ask about- but my guess would be that it's already been ruled out along with ringworm and other conditions. good luck heather! i'm sure ya'll will figure it all out soon! till then- i would purchase some malabase shampoo at your vets office- it's about $15 a bottle- and it's in a red and white bottle- bathe him in it- it is VERY soothing for animals with skin conditions and things of that nature- i dip in that all the time when i have a furbaby with a skin condition- it helps everything from allergies, to severe skin conditions- that will keep him from being itchy/dry and will help soothe him
Also - after you bathe him- only towel dry him, do not use a blow dryer (unless you have a "cool" button) the heat from a hair dryer could aggervate him worse. definitely do the malabase bath though! it will help!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

out of curiosity, what are you feeding that handsome little guy? it might be a food allergy. it took us forever to figure that out with my wolf mix, ginger. once we switched her- her skin cleared up and got soooo much better! i hope ya'll are able to figure out what it is with the little fella
he's soo cute! has mange been ruled out yet? (not to scare you -it's actually pretty treatable- i dip animals at our shelter for it all the time) that could be something to ask about- but my guess would be that it's already been ruled out along with ringworm and other conditions. good luck heather! i'm sure ya'll will figure it all out soon! till then- i would purchase some malabase shampoo at your vets office- it's about $15 a bottle- and it's in a red and white bottle- bathe him in it- it is VERY soothing for animals with skin conditions and things of that nature- i dip in that all the time when i have a furbaby with a skin condition- it helps everything from allergies, to severe skin conditions- that will keep him from being itchy/dry and will help soothe him
Also - after you bathe him- only towel dry him, do not use a blow dryer (unless you have a "cool" button) the heat from a hair dryer could aggervate him worse. definitely do the malabase bath though! it will help!
Thanks sweetie! We are going to Revolution him, so I can't give him a bath until that is through, so we'll look into that next month.

I never knew this process was going to be so difficult or so expensive! He's a special boy, so he's going to get the best care I can find for him. Right now, he's sulking in the bed room. In a few hours I think he'll be out and about giving me a lecture on how bad of a Meowmy I am.
Such is life with my kitties!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I'm sorry it was so expensive!!!! It makes me so mad that his previous people didn't do anything before it got this bad!!!! GRRR!!!! :angry:

Did you ask about shaving him and doing the hydrocortisone bath? I'd be surprised if it's environmental given that he's got a different home now. You'd think if it was something external, it would have improved with a change of food/house/litter and that he seems a lot happier now with you guys and his kitty brothers, so I'd say it's NOT stress.

Poor boy