Automatic Litter Boxes

shadda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am going to be adopting 2 kittens soon. I took care of my previous cat for 17 years and scooped the litter everyday. Seeing as I will be living alone with these new cats, i was wondering if there was an automatic litter box someone would recommend for when the cats get a bit older. Pro's and Con's of people's experiance with this type of litter box would be appreciated. Thanks!

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really like the littermaid automatic litter box I bought at walmart for $90.00. It is really easy!

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use to have a littermaid... I hated it... It would get stuck all the time if the cats peed a large amount. The clumps fell to pieces all the time, which meant I had to scoop it regularly also. The litter would fall all over the floor where the scooper thing met the little disposable trays... and the trays were so flimsy that I'd wind up spilling cat litter every where. The little rake thing would also get caked in used cat litter so I was constantly cleaning it so it could work properly...

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had mine since September and so far I really like the littermaid...but I have never had just a regular litter box to compare them too!

I just scrap the stuff off the bottom if there is anything then run the littermaid, then dump the pan...and I have a little broom and dust pan handy to sweep up any loose cat litter that fall out.

Then around once a month I dump all the litter and clean it real good.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be interested in the litter robot except for the price tag. That and Kahn has fairly large clumps.

The self-cleaner I have is a litter maid. You do get some stuff sticking to the rake, but I've found if you keep the litter filled to just below the line, but above the minimum line.. you don't get as much jamming. Also, some litters work much better than others. Any litter has to be a clumping litter though. I've learned to cut down on the expense of the liners by lining them with grocery store bags.. one box of liners will now last us over a year... I just change it every time I pass by before it gets really full and I've had no real issues with it. I do have litter on the floor, but.. you know, I have litter on the floor naer all the litter boxes so I don't really see that as a problem. It does tend to stack up, though, by falling through that crevice.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are saying the Litter Robot looks small, you are mistaken. It's HUGE.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a Littermaid and ended up hating it! My cat likes to pee in the corners and it would get in the track where the rake runs. It was difficult to fully clean, the rake would get caked litter on it, and the thing wouldn't scoop everything into the container. Since I couldn't get it entirely clean, it smelled all the time like urine. When we moved, it got tossed out.

Stephanie

troublesome2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pee-cleaner

If you are saying the Litter Robot looks small, you are mistaken. It's HUGE.
yes, it looks small in the pictures but for the price im guessing its not

julianne353

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got my first automatic one this Christmas and it was a hassle. I don't remember the name of it but it was dark gray and moved in a circular motion and didn't work at all. I just exchanged it for a LIttermaid and it's been working a lot better. I still have to scoop it when the cats pee a lot but it's IMO it's better than a regular one.

missy ro-ro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hated the Littermaid, and after struggling with it for about 6 months I went back to the old fashioned litterboxes. There is a constant expense of buying the little waste receptacles, and when you have a box of waste sitting there filling up, the odor is just horrible. I was cleaning that auto box more than I ever cleaned the old one!

Now I'm trying to toilet train my two cats. You might want to consider that if you are getting kittens, I've heard it's easier to do when they are young.

Good luck!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

I'd be interested in the litter robot except for the price tag. That and Kahn has fairly large clumps.

The self-cleaner I have is a litter maid. You do get some stuff sticking to the rake, but I've found if you keep the litter filled to just below the line, but above the minimum line.. you don't get as much jamming. Also, some litters work much better than others. Any litter has to be a clumping litter though. I've learned to cut down on the expense of the liners by lining them with grocery store bags.. one box of liners will now last us over a year... I just change it every time I pass by before it gets really full and I've had no real issues with it. I do have litter on the floor, but.. you know, I have litter on the floor naer all the litter boxes so I don't really see that as a problem. It does tend to stack up, though, by falling through that crevice.
I also have a Litter Maid and have had similar experiences. I really like mine but it isn't fool-proof. I also line mine with grocery bags which I pull out and dump about every other day. I keep a cheap rug under mine that I can throw in the wash from time to time. The higher quality the cat litter the better the box works. Also, I find that the costs even out as my litter tends to last much longer and I use less of it.