I'm crazy! I so want to use this in a recipe!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, at my new grocery store, I have access to Emu eggs! As I was walking through the egg isle I looked up and saw this wonderful watermelon green egg just sitting there. It was inspiring. Now, has anyone ever had these? Do they taste the same as chicken eggs?

I know I'm nuts!

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had emu eggs! I didn't really notice much difference in taste (but I had them as part of an omelette, so it's possible the flavour was distorted by the other yummy things in it), but they are bigger than regular chicken eggs. I recommend them!
(Ostrich eggs are also good, but enormous!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

I've had emu eggs! I didn't really notice much difference in taste (but I had them as part of an omelette, so it's possible the flavour was distorted by the other yummy things in it), but they are bigger than regular chicken eggs. I recommend them!
(Ostrich eggs are also good, but enormous!)
They have Ostrich eggs too!

I'm searching the net for some good stuff...

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never tried them Heather...........I guess if they're bigger than a chicken egg, you could use them as 2 instead of 1

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Never tried them Heather...........I guess if they're bigger than a chicken egg, you could use them as 2 instead of 1
More like one instead of 10! I've been looking it up and everything I can find on it serves 4 to 6 people.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

More like one instead of 10! I've been looking it up and everything I can find on it serves 4 to 6 people.
How many cats?

I think you should get one and try to "blow" out the egg so you can keep the shell intact. (And hide from the boys.)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

How many cats?

I think you should get one and try to "blow" out the egg so you can keep the shell intact. (And hide from the boys.)
I was going to try that... the shell is an amazing color.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

So do you buy them in packs of twos then
We can get osterich meat in our supermartket, but its never interested me really
No, you just buy one single egg. Strange isn't it?

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had them but just discovered the internation foods isle at one of our stores and since my brothers girlfriend is from the netherlands I want to pick up some of the stuff for her! I think she would really get a kick out of it! I think I would try an Emu egg though! It couldn't really be too entirely different. They are both egg laying feathered birds!

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Let us know how it goes! I consider myself an adventurous eater, and yet I've never tried any eggs other than the usual chicken.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whuckleberry

Let us know how it goes! I consider myself an adventurous eater, and yet I've never tried any eggs other than the usual chicken.
I will!

I'm still searching for something perfect for it though... I'll let eveyone know when I find it.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have friends that made a scrambled ostrich egg for us and a bunch of friends. They put garlic, spinich and a sprinkle of feta cheese in it. It was yummy

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet 8-bit would LOVE to hunt that egg for Easter!
/ Let us know how it turns out! It sounds like it would be neat to try!

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a "blown" ostrich egg that I hand painted on the front. I had found one several years ago that was painted and then used as a night light - the hole in the bottom of the egg is where the little night light went. I gave it to my Mother for Christmas and she accidently knocked it over and broke it.
She was so upset that I searched all over trying to find either another night light or an egg that I could paint (which I did find) After I painted it , (it came out really well, if I do say so myself) I discovered that the bottom hole was too small and wouldn't fit over the light.
She loved it anyway and I still have it on a little stand in my china cabinet. I can't imagine the "hot air" it took to empty that huge egg!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

They have a "wilder" taste than chicken eggs. Making them into an omelette, with other flavors, is a good idea. Mmm, California omelette... with gingerbread pancakes...
Now that sounds good...

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We had geese when I was a kid and I noticed a difference between goose eggs and chicken eggs. They had a stronger taste--not bad, just stronger. I would imagine emu eggs would probably have a different taste as well.