Cat seems a bit constipated maybe??

kazanlak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My six month old female cat is showing some signs of being constipated i think.
Mostly that she doesn't seem to be uh...."producing" much at all when she goes when compared to her brother, and it seems much drier also. She DOES go once or twice daily (i clean the boxes out twice a day and can keep track fairly well) and doesn't seem to be in any real physical discomfort that i can see.
She seems to have thrown up last night and it was mostly yellowish liquid with a lot of fur in it, so that, plus some hacking she has been doing that i mentioned in an earlier thread , makes me suspect she is having a problem with fur that she's ingested.
she has access to water all the time but sometimes it seems like she "forgets" to drink so maybe she gets a bit dehydrated from time to time?
i've been brushing her a lot over the last couple days and have been giving her that hairball treatment gel as well to trey and help with ingested fur. She doesn't have a bad coat by any means but it does seem like her brother's fur is in better overall condition. is there some sort of dietary supplement that i can feed her to help with her digestion?

she seems like a very healthy cat but she does have an air of frailty that makes me quick to worry when everything doesn't seem "right" with her.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's have a problem with hairballs, the hairball goop should help. You can also try adding a little fiber, like plain canned pumpkin, to her diet. What kind of food does she eat? Has she seen a vet recently?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kazanlak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she's been on Iams dry kitten chow for several months, as well as getting about half a can of that meow mix market select stuff in the mornings. her brother eats the same thing
she was at the vet at the beginning of march to get spayed.

canned pumpkin huh? hmm i'll give that a try.

i wonder if the hairball goop is actually helping, she's been getting it a couple days and the other day was the first time she ever threw up any hair. maybe the stuff is loosening the hair in her stomach enough for her to start coughing it up.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was also going to suggest plain canned pumpkin (NOT the pumpkin pie filling). Both of my kitties LOVE it and it really does help soften stools. Also, I would add some additional canned food, or soak the dry kibbles in a bit of low-fat/low-salt chicken broth to give her some added liquid. Do you have a fountain for her to drink from or just bowls of water?

Stephanie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kazanlak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

I was also going to suggest plain canned pumpkin (NOT the pumpkin pie filling). Both of my kitties LOVE it and it really does help soften stools. Also, I would add some additional canned food, or soak the dry kibbles in a bit of low-fat/low-salt chicken broth to give her some added liquid. Do you have a fountain for her to drink from or just bowls of water?

Stephanie
i just have bowls for water. what do you mean by "fountain" ?
what does it do? attract the cat's attention and entice them to drink?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A water fountain provides running water for your kitties. It's supposed to attract kitties. Some cats like it, some don't. We have a Drinkwell fountain and I have one cat that really likes it and one that could care less if it was there.

Stephanie