I think my kitty knows I am pregnant...

forest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think my kitty knows I am pregnant... He lays on my stomach all the time now... Anyone experience this?

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How sweet that is. No need for an introduction to the new baby, they will already know each other.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awe, that is sweet!

While I was pregnant with my son, I had a foster in my care named Kitty and she'd always lay right next to my stomach or as near as possible.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh, yes!
Both my sister and I were shucking cats off of us the whole time we each were pregnant!
It's not like you don't have enough trouble getting out of a recliner or off the couch (or out of the floor, or off the potty...
) without a couple of 10lb paperweights who don't want to leave!
Not to mention, you oh so need that extra warmth!

And it doesn't end when the baby gets here (especially if you do the "blanket intros"); oh no, you will probably have a nursing/bottle feeding buddy too!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"Shucking cats"?
I find it amazing just how intuitive cats really are!

milos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
in animals are aware when earthquakes and bad weather are coming. it sounds crazy but this often happen. documented events...

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have no doubt that they can hear the heart beat of the baby. Cat's love heartbeats.

It also doesn't surprise me that they'd want to be in on the cuddles when nursing is going on. Probably, a good oportunity to have some quality cuddling time with the cats so they don't feel jealous about your divided attention.

I mean you're stuck sitting down nursing for 1/2 hour every few hours. Why not encourage the cats to have a cat nap next to you during the process. Company, right?

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My granddaughter's cat rubbed and cuddled my daughter's belly from the time she started showing her pregnancy. He would sit on the couch during nursing and give kitty loves to the baby's little feet. He slept under her crib, and now that she is walking, he watches over her. They nap together on the couch, and she will hold his tail sometimes. I would not want to be the one that to be any kind of threat to her, Cotton is a huge cat, and he could do plenty of damage. He has growled at a neighbor for getting too close to her. He loves "his" baby, and plays with her now tht she is big enough to play. They toss toys around. It is sooo cute to see them together.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

I have no doubt that they can hear the heart beat of the baby. Cat's love heartbeats.
I think that sums it up - also the baby's heartbeat is faster, closer to a cats own heartbeat. Hearing it through your tummy probably reminds them of when they were tiny and nursing and hearing their own mother's heartbeat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

forest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah Forest is so cute... If I am on the laptop - sort of lying down he squeezes himself between my laptop and my face. And his littel scrawny pokey legs walking all over until he finds a confortable spot. I then have to lift my head over him to continue doing what I am doing online. I beg my hubby to call him off but noooo he starts cracking up, and cooing at Forest. Even while sleeping in bed he squeezes himself as close as possible to the belly... Geeze he thinks he is the Mommy

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

It also doesn't surprise me that they'd want to be in on the cuddles when nursing is going on. Probably, a good oportunity to have some quality cuddling time with the cats so they don't feel jealous about your divided attention.

I mean you're stuck sitting down nursing for 1/2 hour every few hours. Why not encourage the cats to have a cat nap next to you during the process. Company, right?
That's exactly what I did when breastfeeding. My sweet Siamese Susie was always included and sat in my lap while I breastfed so she never felt pushed out or replaced. She also was very tolerant of our daughter and never once bit or scratched the baby.

Originally Posted by krazy kat2

My granddaughter's cat rubbed and cuddled my daughter's belly from the time she started showing her pregnancy. He would sit on the couch during nursing and give kitty loves to the baby's little feet. He slept under her crib, and now that she is walking, he watches over her. They nap together on the couch, and she will hold his tail sometimes. I would not want to be the one that to be any kind of threat to her, Cotton is a huge cat, and he could do plenty of damage. He has growled at a neighbor for getting too close to her. He loves "his" baby, and plays with her now tht she is big enough to play. They toss toys around. It is sooo cute to see them together.
My sweet Siamese was the same with our daughter. She could be quite nasty to people but she was extremely tolerant of Jennifer. She never ever bit or scratched Jennifer even when she probably deserved it.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes...my cat definitely knows that I am pregnant...because she is soo gentle around my stomach ...she use to always jump on my stomach while I was laying down and now she definitely doesn't jump on me...she goes around my stomach and lays up near my neck

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my RB baby Oreo when I was pregnant with my oldest son....

(Notice the baby monitor already set up. I was was being induced the very next day)

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, never been pregnant and Kitters is my baby so...
But it's so sweet that your kitty does that! May not be so sweet when you are bigger and don't want a big cat on your belly!

forest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forest already loves the baby... I think it's pretty cool that most cats do detect something in the belly... They are all of sudden extra gentle and they want to sit on the belly to nest it - I suppose... It's cute - it makes me laugh

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
very cute!

Maybe when I get pregnant I'll have cats hanging all over me......i love their warmth

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Stewie is usually a real monster. He never liked to be cuddled or be petted. He only spent time sleeping with dan. I was his main target in all his assults and he never ever listened to me. what a snot!

Now that I am 17 weeks pregnant, he is just the sweetest thing to me. he spends all day sleeping with me, he watched tv with me in my bed, on the couch he lays by my legs and lets me pet him. Follows me around the house and has a hard time letting me get out the door for work. He is a very very sweet now. He doesnt climb on my belly but will lay cuddled up beside it....maybe its nice and warm.

forest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am 17 weeks pregnat too
I am due September 10th