or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Maya...I know you like to be brushed....but
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Maya...I know you like to be brushed....but

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
She takes it to the extreme and just lays down on the floor for you and turns over if you brush her. She will often try to groom herself if left alone with the brush. She will just hold still and just wants you to keep brushing her. If you stop and walk away from her with the brush in your hand, she gets upset and will run up behind you and just smack you in the back of your leg with her paw. I swear it's the funniest thing I've ever seen a cat get so upset over. Does anyone else have a cat that does this????
post #2 of 14
Betsy Sue loves to be combed, she lays on her back and purrs away as I comb her tummy.

I have to stand her up and hold her to do her back or she'll flop over showing her tummy
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess15 View Post
She takes it to the extreme and just lays down on the floor for you and turns over if you brush her. She will often try to groom herself if left alone with the brush. She will just hold still and just wants you to keep brushing her. If you stop and walk away from her with the brush in your hand, she gets upset and will run up behind you and just smack you in the back of your leg with her paw. I swear it's the funniest thing I've ever seen a cat get so upset over. Does anyone else have a cat that does this????
The only reason that Persi is so good when he gets combed is that I keep a bottle of Pounce within plain view of him. He knows that when the grooming is done, that he is going to get some Pounce, the only time during the day that he gets a treat. Sometimes during the middle of the grooming he protests; when this this happens, I shake the bottle of Pounce in front of his face and then he settles down!
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess15 View Post
She takes it to the extreme and just lays down on the floor for you and turns over if you brush her. She will often try to groom herself if left alone with the brush. She will just hold still and just wants you to keep brushing her. If you stop and walk away from her with the brush in your hand, she gets upset and will run up behind you and just smack you in the back of your leg with her paw. I swear it's the funniest thing I've ever seen a cat get so upset over. Does anyone else have a cat that does this????
No That is a new one. Viola likes to brushed with her Zoom Groom but she doesn't try to do it herself.

We need some video of this.
post #5 of 14
Quote:
If you stop and walk away from her with the brush in your hand, she gets upset and will run up behind you and just smack you in the back of your leg with her paw.
That's hysterical! I don't have that problem, though Friday will pull the brush to him with a paw; but, Hemmy will chase me and bite my ankle if I don't feed him when he's ready.
post #6 of 14
The girls don't mind be combed, but they aren't all that thrilled about it either.
Elliott on the other hand loves it...although he's never tried to comb himself

He does seem to have a fur fetish though...when I'm done combing him I have to bury his fur at the bottom of the bathroom trash can or he tries to eat it.
He never tires to eat the girls fur, he only seems to be interested in his own...he's an odd little man
post #7 of 14
My Callie LOVES to be brushed! I brush my girls right before they settle into their beds for bedtime. Callie nudges my hand and turns her body where the brush is as if to say, "Over here....get that spot, Mom!" If I lay the brush down, she'll rub her chin, cheeks, and neck over it. She'll purr like crazy during brush-time and she's even been known to drool a bit while being brushed.

Hannah tolerates brushing, but she's not ape about it like Callie is.

Stephanie
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat View Post
That's hysterical! I don't have that problem, though Friday will pull the brush to him with a paw; but, Hemmy will chase me and bite my ankle if I don't feed him when he's ready.
It is really funny. I didn't believe my mom the first time she told me until I saw it for myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanietx View Post
My Callie LOVES to be brushed! I brush my girls right before they settle into their beds for bedtime. Callie nudges my hand and turns her body where the brush is as if to say, "Over here....get that spot, Mom!" If I lay the brush down, she'll rub her chin, cheeks, and neck over it. She'll purr like crazy during brush-time and she's even been known to drool a bit while being brushed.

Hannah tolerates brushing, but she's not ape about it like Callie is.

Stephanie
Maya will purr also while being brushed. Oh, she also gets upset if you are brushing another cat instead of her.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ckatz View Post
No That is a new one. Viola likes to brushed with her Zoom Groom but she doesn't try to do it herself.

We need some video of this.
I'm working on getting a video made....lol If I succeed, I'll post it! She only did it to my mom, but she did it to me the first time this week.
post #9 of 14
Both of my cats are complete hogs when it comes to the brush. Neither of them can get enough of it, especially Abby. I brush her numerous times a day and she never gets enough. The homecare lady comes every 2 weeks and she loves cats and because she spends time brushing Abby before she leaves, Abby just loves her! Abby will turn this way and that to make sure you get all of her parts, hehe. She especially loves to get the sides of her face brushed and if you put the brush down she will rub her face against the brush.

Chynna loves to be brushed too, but she loves to be vacuumed more. She's the only cat that I've ever had that follows me around and flops down in front of the vacuum demanding to be vacuumed with the furniture brush tool.

I'm actually glad that both of my cats like to be brushed because their coats look better, plus there is less hair on the furniture than there is when I don't brush them.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess15 View Post
She takes it to the extreme and just lays down on the floor for you and turns over if you brush her.
Yes my medium haired cat does this, unfortunately she prefers more combing on her right side so I'm always trying to get her to roll over and she will for like 10 secs then she's back on the other side. The love the feel of the comb on their face, all I have to do is hold it out and the will run over to put their faces against the teeth.
post #11 of 14
My kitty is longish haired and he had a hairball the other day. Having read this thread I got inspired to have a lovely grooming/bonding time with Al and positively approached the brush. Al was purring and I was stroking him and gently went to brush him. He attacked me!!! When i say attack I am using the word lightly, he was just showing his displeasure! He hated it. I know I was gentle but he sunk his teeth into my hand and kept scratching me with his back claws like he was on a treadmill!!! I was really looking forward to a little giggle when he did something cute but Mummy was not flavour of the month that day!! Is there a secret art to this grooming?
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Althekitty View Post
My kitty is longish haired and he had a hairball the other day. Having read this thread I got inspired to have a lovely grooming/bonding time with Al and positively approached the brush. Al was purring and I was stroking him and gently went to brush him. He attacked me!!! When i say attack I am using the word lightly, he was just showing his displeasure! He hated it. I know I was gentle but he sunk his teeth into my hand and kept scratching me with his back claws like he was on a treadmill!!! I was really looking forward to a little giggle when he did something cute but Mummy was not flavour of the month that day!! Is there a secret art to this grooming?
We have three persians (Luna, Maya and Tedi) and a stray (Lexi). Tedi doesn't really like to be brushed the other two don't care either way and then there's Maya. I don't know what it is about her, but she just likes to be brushed. Her hair is medium length and not as long as the other two persians so she always looks like a fluff ball!
You could try rewarding you cat with treats if they allow you to comb them for a short time. I would try 5 mins every other day. Then reward them inbetween as you are brushing them. Then try increasing the amount of time you spend brushing them. Some cats may never liked to be brushed, but you can train them to adjust to it better.
post #13 of 14
This seems to be a very individual thing. Stan loooooves to be brushed, he's a love bug anyway...he will roll around and purr like crazy. He then wants to play with the comb/brush when you're done.

Bella, on the other hand, would rather bite the comb (or the comb holder) than allow herself to be brushed. She will however, rub herself on any brush-like surface she can find. I guess it's a matter of pride for her. Too bad she's not too proud to sit on my lap whenever I try to use the bathroom...
post #14 of 14
Quote:
We have three persians (Luna, Maya and Tedi) and a stray (Lexi). Tedi doesn't really like to be brushed the other two don't care either way and then there's Maya. I don't know what it is about her, but she just likes to be brushed. Her hair is medium length and not as long as the other two persians so she always looks like a fluff ball!
You could try rewarding you cat with treats if they allow you to comb them for a short time. I would try 5 mins every other day. Then reward them inbetween as you are brushing them. Then try increasing the amount of time you spend brushing them. Some cats may never liked to be brushed, but you can train them to adjust to it better.
__________________
Thanks so much for the advice! Will definatelt give it a go. That sounds like a great way to do it!!! Much appreciated and i will let you know how I get on!!!Bless them, kitties are definately full of character and all so different. Thats why we love them so much.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Maya...I know you like to be brushed....but