how to switch to wet?

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I will yet (I have to acclimate my dad to buying new food slowly) but if I start to give the cats wet how would I do it without giving them diarrhea? Once a can of wet came in their dry food package so I gave it to them and one of them got wicked diarrhea. So how do you do it?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm any new food could do that. I don't recall having much of a problem when I first introduced wet food...but it's been a long time ago. What kind of food was it exactly?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it was nasty food that came in their bag of nasty purina, it was called like chicken medley and casserole I think it was Fancy feast but I'm not sure. I would probably feed Natural Balance or Felidae for wet and I'm switching to Felidae for dry. But that wet food gave Willie (I think) horrible diarrhea all over the house (in my brothers room,my room, the living room) and dragged his bum across my floor. that's what I worry about.

linda_of_pgff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

The good quality canned foods you mention, should not produce a problem, at least not a prolonged bout of diarrhea. I would not be too surprised, though, if a cat on the diet you describe, had a bit of stomach problem in the shorter term, when you change foods -- just because, there has to be SOME way for the junk in his system to exit! (Sorry!)

It may help if you think about what diarrhea or mild episodes of stomach upset mean -- that the digestive tract is irritated. It's inflamed, or tender, or somehow, well, upset. Some things you can consider that can help that are soothing things like, herbal Marshmallow, or using Bach Rescue Remedy Flower Essence in his water, making the change in food in a calm, quiet manner. If the worst happens, and a cat gets diarrhea, confine him to an area where it's most easy to clean up the mess, and clean him off if you can without making him upset.

If your vet okays it, you can also fast a cat for a short period, to let its digestive system get a 'rest' -- so, if a cat decides NOT to eat anything for a day or so, unless there are other reasons why fasting is a bad thing, don't be too worried. This means your cat's digestion doesn't need to be working, so it can devote energy better to healing itself.

Offer a bit of unflavored Pedialyte (infant electrolyte replacer) if a cat has diarrhea, since that dehydrates the animal. Electrolytes help them to re-hydrate, faster.

In the long run, the Felidae is a much better diet so keep in mind why you're going through the short term misery together!!

Best,
Linda

claired

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm having a problem with my cat not eating wet food. He's been eating Hill's prescription m/d dry but since that's been recalled, the vet told us to give the canned version a try. He just doesn't think wet food is actually food. Is there any way to make it more appealing?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maxy24

it was nasty food that came in their bag of nasty purina, it was called like chicken medley and casserole I think it was Fancy feast but I'm not sure. I would probably feed Natural Balance or Felidae for wet and I'm switching to Felidae for dry. But that wet food gave Willie (I think) horrible diarrhea all over the house (in my brothers room,my room, the living room) and dragged his bum across my floor. that's what I worry about.
I agree, I think you will have better results with the good quality food. If he is overly enthusiastic about eating it, don't let him overdo it, just offer some small amounts at first...that should help, but I don't anticipate any significant problem with the better food.

Originally Posted by ClaireD

I'm having a problem with my cat not eating wet food. He's been eating Hill's prescription m/d dry but since that's been recalled, the vet told us to give the canned version a try. He just doesn't think wet food is actually food. Is there any way to make it more appealing?
The link that Julia gave is very good. There are some recent threads here about this too...you might pick up more tips there. See 'reluctant to eat wet food'....near the top of the list, here:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sea...earchid=615580

and there should be more on that list too.