switching food cold turkey?

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so I'm switching the cats to Felidae tonight but I'm pretty much out of the old food. Is that gonna be a big problem? Will they get diarrhea? or vomit? If we but another bag of Purina then I can't switch them for a while and I have been asking Dad to switch for a week (at the time that I had plenty of food for the switch)and today he finally decides we can go, when we are out of the old food
so will it work out ok?

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Every cat is different, but many cats don't do well with a sudden switch. I would be prepared for a little GI upset. Can you maybe buy a small bag of the old food to ease into the new?

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I was thinking. If you can't find a small bag at the pet store, you may have better luck at a grocery store
. I don't think either one of you (actually, amend that to include the cats
) wants to smell diarrhea cat during the switch
. My cats are on Felidae Chicken and Rice (because one has a fish allergy
), and they are doing really well- shiney coats, even, and 3 out of 4 are seniors
. And they eat less of it than their old food, too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK I told dad to get a small bag of Purina and he was not too happy about it but I think he will do it. What size would I need to get them onto the new food successfully?

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least a week
. Start out with mostly the Purina, and gradually (each day) add in a little more Felidae, until at the end of the small bag of Purina, you have them totally switched over to the Felidae
. Good luck! Good of your dad to do this for you (and your kitties!)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
here is my not so helpful advice

say kitty eats a cup a day .... 1/4 cup new food for 2-3 days then 1/2 for a few days and so on

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well dad got the Felidae and had to get the cat and kitten because they don't carry the chicken and rice, but he did not get a new bad of the old stuff. i had to feed it to them last night and this morning and there are no allergic reactions or vomiting. No diarrhea yet but I have not given them a whole meal, both meals were only half the usual size but if we do not have the Purina by tonight I'm gonna have to get them a full meal because they must be hungry and I feel bad that they are not eating a good full meal. neko is hungry right now and is pawing me with outstretched paws and the biting will soon follow (that's what he does when he gets hungry). Now if i feed him a full meal tonight and get the purina tomorrow will it be useless and seem like new food to them or will it still work?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depends on your cats if they arent showing any adverse reactions to the quick change you may not need to slowly change...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Depends on your cats if they aren't showing any adverse reactions to the quick change you may not need to slowly change...
I have to agree. I constantly rotate foods, due to Jamie's pickiness, and in any given week, breakfast is one of three or four dry foods, and dinner a can of four or five different brands, and more flavors than I can keep track of. Up until last Christmas, I was feeding three cats, and am now feeding two cats and a hedgehog, without any intestinal upsets.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also am lucky in that I have no problems switching new foods cold turkey. As someone else said, it really depends on the cat. Sounds like yours aren't going to be a problem. Even with the stinky poo, it will probably get better as their system adjusts to the new food.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Still no diarrhea so I think we're safe. Willie's poo got a little bit looser but not that bad, I'm sure it will firm back up soon. Thanks for your help!

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maxy24

Still no diarrhea so I think we're safe. Willie's poo got a little bit looser but not that bad, I'm sure it will firm back up soon. Thanks for your help!
That's great!

My kitty has had trouble with some switches, but not others, so it just depends. Sounds like yours are easy.