FDA bans wheat gluten from Chinese company

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is important to note that not all wheat gluten is banned, just the products from this one specific company in China.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes that is what the news article states

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. It's equally important to note that wheat gluten itself is not a bad thing. It's the additives that went into this stuff from China.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Javern

yes that is what the news article states
Yes, sorry, my point was that your original thread title had me thinking that the FDA was banning wheat gluten completely from all food products. Thank you for editing the title.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Yes. It's equally important to note that wheat gluten itself is not a bad thing. It's the additives that went into this stuff from China.
exactly

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad the FDA is taking action on this issue. I noticed that the company spokesperson said that the wheat gluten had been sold to other companies in China. I'm wondering if the banned company was the only one that sold to Menu Foods or if there will be more bans in the future?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
* takes off advior hat*

WHAT took so long.... it is way past time for action to have taken place

mini rant over

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds all fine and good, but the products, how this was processed, etc. was already not allowed in the US. There are already strict guidelines for how any food product is handled. The problem was that this was imported via Canada, and we allow imports from Canada apparently without the same vigilance as we do from other countries. That loophole needs to be closed, because likely if that wheat gluten had been imported directly from China to the US, it never would have gotten into the food chain.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

That sounds all fine and good, but the products, how this was processed, etc. was already not allowed in the US. There are already strict guidelines for how any food product is handled. The problem was that this was imported via Canada, and we allow imports from Canada apparently without the same vigilance as we do from other countries. That loophole needs to be closed, because likely if that wheat gluten had been imported directly from China to the US, it never would have gotten into the food chain.
Are you sure that isn't just conjecture, because it doesn't jive with this FDA alert about imports from China or the Netherlands: http://www.fda.gov/ora/fiars/ora_import_ia9926.html
Menu Foods is a Canadian company, true, but Purina has recalled Alpo food produced in a Nebraska plant beause it had bought wheat gluten from the same supplier Menu Foods had: http://www.purina.com/Company/Press/...spx#purinafaqs

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My understanding is that the Canadian company bought the wheat gluten product from a US firm that had imported the product from China.

I may be out of line here, but I think all these "banned food" threads should be closed and one thread only put up and maintained by the mods/admin group. There is (IMO) way too much mis-information, misconstrued information and general panic from all these threads. I don't know about the others, but I find myself getting very confused with all the he says, she says and they said stuff.

That's my opinion anyway - it just causes me to mistrust and almost ignore any of the information and that could be just as bad as the panic.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I may be out of line here, but I think all these "banned food" threads should be closed and one thread only put up and maintained by the mods/admin group. There is (IMO) way too much mis-information, misconstrued information and general panic from all these threads. I don't know about the others, but I find myself getting very confused with all the he says, she says and they said stuff.

That's my opinion anyway - it just causes me to mistrust and almost ignore any of the information and that could be just as bad as the panic.
That's why the "links" sticky was started, so that people could make their own judgments. However, since so many people ignore stickies, I'm hesitant about closing various threads, because they might just contain information that will save somebody's pets.