Moving to new home?

jijo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we have bought a new home which is ready to move in
. But my bigeest fear moving in is if and how cat can adjust to new home. I have a BIG fear of cat getting lost in new surrounding. The cat I have is with us for nearly 8+ years in the same house. he generally stays at home (sleeping most of the imt
) and go out for 2-3 hours most. The new home is surrounded by constructions, and some farms near by with lots of open space.

Do cat gets adjusted to new home and surrounding? Is there any ways to ensue cat get adjusted to new home and surroundings

please advice

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we moved into our home 5 years ago we had 4 cats. All 4 cats adjusted very well and quickly with no problems.

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have moved several times with outdoor cats and the trick is to not let them out the first few weeks after the move. At least two weeks but I prefer close to a month to be sure. They have to be completely at home in the house before it's time to become familiar with the outside. They really have to consider the house their territory and safe place before being let out.
This might be tough weeks with cats that are used to being outside and you have to be hartless and keep the doors closed.
No matter how much he meows or schratch the door or sit in the windows.
Not if he harass you during night, refuse to eat or if the weather is wonderful.
I use to pick a day when I had plenty of time to let them out for the first time and I went out with them every day for a few days or at least a weekend.
I have always had a cat door and when I have moved I have kept it open only for going in and closed for going out so they only could go out with me. When I felt they knew the area and what was our area I opend the cat door completely. It has always worked.
Good luck.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Malena

I have moved several times with outdoor cats and the trick is to not let them out the first few weeks after the move. At least two weeks but I prefer close to a month to be sure. They have to be completely at home in the house before it's time to become familiar with the outside. They really have to consider the house their territory and safe place before being let out.
This is what I recommend as well. When we moved last May I kept all the cats indoors for a month. I then let one out at a time on the weekend for a while. I stayed out with him so I could keep on eye on him. I also did that for several evenings after work to make sure he and I were comfortable. I then let the second cat out on the next weekend and then followed up with evenings and so on.

I only had one cat that was sort of difficult when we moved. All the other cats were pretty much themselves after a week or so but Button took a long time to adjust. She mostly hung out in my daughters room and barely left long enough to get food and use the litter box.

She is now fully adjusted to the move and she goes outside. The only problem I have is she is afraid of the screen door. When we first moved in the spring on the screen door was bad so the screen door slammed when you left it to close on its own and that scared her and she is still scared of the door. She runs in and out like the door is going to chop her in half

Five of my eight cats are indoor/outdoor and only one roams to any degree. The rest pretty much just stay in the yard and hang out on the deck.