Do u think the non-wheat gluten foods are ok?

harlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everything I've been reading has said that the contamination is in the wheat gluten. Ergo, would that mean that you can go ahead and buy the foods that do NOT list wheat gluten among the incredients and assume it's ok?

I'm so terrified to feed them ANYTHING right now! But they need to eat!

I got these friskies pouches of real fish and gave that to them, and my girl kitty threw up about an hour after eating!!!! I panicked!!! She seems fine now that she threw up, she's not appearing to have any other symptoms...so I'm hoping maybe she just ate too fast. She really did chow it down pretty fast, so that's probably all it is.

But I'm so afraid! I've never been this afraid for them in their entire life! What are we going to do?

I've bought a bunch of meow mix wet food that has no wheat gluten listed in the ingredients and the iams weight control food for my other cat, which also doesn't list wheat gluten. I'm praying that if I stay away from all foods that list wheat gluten in the ingredients that they will be ok. What do you guys think? I'm seriously scared and I don't know what else to do......

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering the same thing. We've been buying foods not on the recall list and most have no wheat gluton. I just found out the Friskies we've been feeding ALL this time has the gluton in it. I now don't know if I should continue to feed it or not. None of my kits, knock on wood, has got anything wrong with them from the Friskies.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a lot of us have the same concerns about wheat gluten. Personally, I've tried to stay away from grains as much as possible in the belief that cats are natural carnivores and don't need grains in their diet. If I weren't already avoiding wheat gluten I surely would now. I'm also avoiding foods made by Menu Foods even if there is no wheat gluten in the product. I have concerns about Menu Foods quality control procedures.

If you've been feeding food with wheat gluten and your cats show no signs of illness they are probably fine. Just watch for any changes in eating or drinking behavior, lethargy, vomiting etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jean, what brand are you feeding your cats? It seems like all of the dry foods have some type of grains in it, like rice or brown rice or something like that. Is rice or brown rice ok? Or is that not really necessary too? Oats I think were in one of them as well? There was one like spa-food made by blue diamond that looked like it would be healthy, but there are a ton of different grains listed on the bag.

I agree that cats are naturally carnivores and should be eating MEAT instead of grains, so I can't understand these idiot cat food makers putting stuff in the cat food that they don't eat! Give me a break!

I noticed that with most of the wet foods containing chicken had the wheat gluten while the wet food containing shrimp, fish, tuna, etc. don't have the wheat gluten. So I have been picking the seafood stuff that doesn't list wheat gluten.

So, Jean, what do you feed your cats? And where do you buy it? I'm still trying to find a safe thing, both wet and dry food, because I'm really scared about this.

Kitty threw up a while ago and she seems to be fine. She's sitting next to me on the couch cleaning herself right now. I think she's ok.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine eat grain free food and have for a while now, but I would imagine that the throwing up has more to do with changing to a food she is not used to than anything else.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Mine eat grain free food and have for a while now, but I would imagine that the throwing up has more to do with changing to a food she is not used to than anything else.
DItto .. food changes should be slow and easy if possible..

i am avoiding all wheat and wheat gluten but realize I only have one that can eat wheat... and for the time being like Jean I am avoiding all MENU foods ...

right now one cat eats dry only and the other raw only... the dog is on raw with some cooked veggies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You guys, I'm really freaking now! She just threw up again!!
I'm so scared!! I know she didn't eat any of the foods on the list, but I'm SO afraid something is wrong with her! It's 11:30pm on a Sunday, what am I going to do? I'm really, really scared!!!

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Harlee

Jean, what brand are you feeding your cats? It seems like all of the dry foods have some type of grains in it, like rice or brown rice or something like that. Is rice or brown rice ok? Or is that not really necessary too? Oats I think were in one of them as well? There was one like spa-food made by blue diamond that looked like it would be healthy, but there are a ton of different grains listed on the bag.

I agree that cats are naturally carnivores and should be eating MEAT instead of grains, so I can't understand these idiot cat food makers putting stuff in the cat food that they don't eat! Give me a break!

I noticed that with most of the wet foods containing chicken had the wheat gluten while the wet food containing shrimp, fish, tuna, etc. don't have the wheat gluten. So I have been picking the seafood stuff that doesn't list wheat gluten.

So, Jean, what do you feed your cats? And where do you buy it? I'm still trying to find a safe thing, both wet and dry food, because I'm really scared about this.

Kitty threw up a while ago and she seems to be fine. She's sitting next to me on the couch cleaning herself right now. I think she's ok.
Currently they are eating almost entirely Natural Balance, the Turkey and Giblets, Ultra (chicken, duck and salmon) and the Venison and Pea. There is no wheat or oats in Natural Balance. There is some brown rice in the Turkey and Ultra. There are other flavors but they haven't been available here for over a month. They also like the Avoderm chicken but it is rather heavy on the fish so I don't give it to Kolohe or Eric because both have had problems with crystals recently. Wellness, Innova and EVO are others I've used. Recently they decided they don't like EVO and are a little reluctant about the Innova. None of those brands have grains except for brown rice. I only use wet food on a daily basis although I have a small bag of dry Venison and Pea on hand. It's easier for me to avoid wheat gluten because none of my cats likes the cuts and gravy type food. They will only eat the loaf or pate type food.

I buy the Natural Balance and Wellness at Pets Discount, a local chain of pet supply stores. The Avoderm, Innova and EVO I buy at Kennel Club. None of the major pet store chains are in Hawaii. Fortunately prices seems to be competitive. Natural Balance is $1.09/can, Wellness is $1.49 and Avoderm, EVO and Innova range from $1.09 to $1.20.

Wellness, Avoderm, Innova and EVO are all made by Menu Foods. As I said, I have some concerns about Menu Foods quality control procedures even if wheat gluten is not involved. I feel better about Innova and EVO because of the actions Natura is taking in light of the recall. Here's a link to a video statement from one of the company's owners.
http://www.naturapetcare.com/

I just read your last post about Kitty vomiting again. Is she drinking water? Can you tell if she is well hydrated after vomiting? Pull up on the scruff of her neck. If it goes back down immediately she is hydrated. These things always seem to happen late on a Sunday night. Is there an emergency vet you can call to get advice? I hope Kitty is OK. Good health vibes coming to her.

b842001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The food companys negligence is not only harming innocent pets but also causing alot of chaos. Even though my cat has not
had any of the recalled foods I became very worried after he threw up over the weekend even though I believe now it was because I gave in to him when I came home later at night and he
was hungry and had also had eaten before I left. I think I overfed him because he has been fine since and this was 2 days ago.But they are causing all caring pet owners grief and something needs to be done We need to demand answers.

kazanlak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

as an aside, i seem to recall reading that the plant-based stomach contents of cat's natural prey does have some important nutritional value for the cat. so grains in cat food would seem to have some benefit for the cat...

however this whole poison wheat gluten thing is really got me nervous about buying cat food.....maybe i ought to just go bag some pigeons for them instead..

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to my local Petco this weekend, and since they didn't carry Innova, and had sold out of Natural Balance, she did recommend Wellness - no wheat products, by-products, no preservatives, no artificial colors. Both Mollie and Sophie are eating dry and wet - very unusual for them to immediately eat a new brand of food.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jean44

Currently they are eating almost entirely Natural Balance, the Turkey and Giblets, Ultra (chicken, duck and salmon) and the Venison and Pea. There is no wheat or oats in Natural Balance. There is some brown rice in the Turkey and Ultra. There are other flavors but they haven't been available here for over a month. They also like the Avoderm chicken but it is rather heavy on the fish so I don't give it to Kolohe or Eric because both have had problems with crystals recently. Wellness, Innova and EVO are others I've used. Recently they decided they don't like EVO and are a little reluctant about the Innova. None of those brands have grains except for brown rice. I only use wet food on a daily basis although I have a small bag of dry Venison and Pea on hand. It's easier for me to avoid wheat gluten because none of my cats likes the cuts and gravy type food. They will only eat the loaf or pate type food.

I buy the Natural Balance and Wellness at Pets Discount, a local chain of pet supply stores. The Avoderm, Innova and EVO I buy at Kennel Club. None of the major pet store chains are in Hawaii. Fortunately prices seems to be competitive. Natural Balance is $1.09/can, Wellness is $1.49 and Avoderm, EVO and Innova range from $1.09 to $1.20.

Wellness, Avoderm, Innova and EVO are all made by Menu Foods. As I said, I have some concerns about Menu Foods quality control procedures even if wheat gluten is not involved. I feel better about Innova and EVO because of the actions Natura is taking in light of the recall. Here's a link to a video statement from one of the company's owners.
http://www.naturapetcare.com/

I just read your last post about Kitty vomiting again. Is she drinking water? Can you tell if she is well hydrated after vomiting? Pull up on the scruff of her neck. If it goes back down immediately she is hydrated. These things always seem to happen late on a Sunday night. Is there an emergency vet you can call to get advice? I hope Kitty is OK. Good health vibes coming to her.
OMG! I didn't know that Wellness was made by Menu - if I had known that I would NEVER have purchased the Wellness food at all! I wonder if I can return it? Anyone else concerned about feeding Wellness to their kids?

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Wellness to my babies (along with other brands). I too was horrified when I found out about the connection with Menu.

I spoke to a Wellness rep (she's also a TCS member, "Welcat", you can PM her if you'd like) who reassured me about the food. They seem to go above and beyond other food makers in assuring strict quality control.

A small percentage of their food is made at a Menu plant which is *not* the one implicated in the recall. I was still wary, but I'm in a bit of a desperate situation with one of my cats who has multiple health issues and needs to be syringe fed with high calorie, grain-free food. After initially discontinuing Wellness, I started using it again.

Still, like everyone else, this recall has shaken me. I'm doing research now on homemade
meals.

PS -Harlee, I saw your post about Kitty vomiting again - please let us know how she's doing today.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

OMG! I didn't know that Wellness was made by Menu - if I had known that I would NEVER have purchased the Wellness food at all! I wonder if I can return it? Anyone else concerned about feeding Wellness to their kids?
I won't feed Wellness because of the garlic.

fluffee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I see Delmont is now doing a recall, but it seems to be on dog treats? I feed my 4 9 lives, but I'm watching what I feed them and with no wheat gluen in them. I have found wheat flour in a few but they are showing no signs and eating it all.

Cats throw up after eating if they eat too fast sometimes. I found I have to keep my littlest one(the pigget of the group) from pushing the others away and eating too much( and throwing that up 10minutes after dinner)

For now, I'm still doing the Nutro dry with the 9 lives wet with NO wheat gluen in them.

Fluffee

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You guys, I'm really freaking now! She just threw up again!!
I'm so scared!! I know she didn't eat any of the foods on the list, but I'm SO afraid something is wrong with her! It's 11:30pm on a Sunday, what am I going to do? I'm really, really scared!!!
How is she today?

I went to my local Petco this weekend, and since they didn't carry Innova, and had sold out of Natural Balance, she did recommend Wellness - no wheat products, by-products, no preservatives, no artificial colors. Both Mollie and Sophie are eating dry and wet - very unusual for them to immediately eat a new brand of food.
Your Petco carries Wellness? I need to move closer to a better Petco.

Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I think the IAMs diet food has been on a recall list. you might want to look into that.
IIRC, the Iams diet food was the one that was being picked on by PETA, nothing more to it that I know of. I haven't heard PETA say much of anything sensible...so I don't put much stock in that. I only know of one dry cat food that's been recalled...Hills M/D.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sadly, there is really very little canned food that is NOT made at a Menu plant. There are a handful, but that's it. There's a thread here somewhere with a list of the few that are not Menu made brands.

I'm personally still feeding the Wellness, one - because I got my cats off dry food and don't have a whole lot of choices, and two - because it's free of wheat gluten, or any grains for that matter...well the flavors we use, anyway.

I'm definitely being selective and reading ingredients more thoroughly than I used to...but I haven't been able to cut Menu out entirely.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

How is she today?

Your Petco carries Wellness? I need to move closer to a better Petco.

IIRC, the Iams diet food was the one that was being picked on by PETA, nothing more to it that I know of. I haven't heard PETA say much of anything sensible...so I don't put much stock in that. I only know of one dry cat food that's been recalled...Hills M/D.
I apologize! I have a Petco and a Pet Quarters about 1/2 mile apart. It is Pet Quarters that sells Wellness, not Petco. Sorry - but at least you won't have to move!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I apologize! I have a Petco and a Pet Quarters about 1/2 mile apart. It is Pet Quarters that sells Wellness, not Petco. Sorry - but at least you won't have to move!
Well I already thought my Petco was lacking, as some have Solid Gold food and mine doesn't...so when you said that about Wellness...I was thinking of packing up. LOL ...thanks for the correction. I hate moving.