Well this is a new one..

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had someone inquiring about a kitten and wanted to know if i had a picture of them next to a coke can? Anyone else heard of that? Thats a new one to me. and seemed a bit..weird. But maybe theres a purpose. I dont know about

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing I can think of is to get an idea of the kittens size. It's visual and they can get a better idea than just from weight.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

The only thing I can think of is to get an idea of the kittens size. It's visual and they can get a better idea than just from weight.
That was my only thought too.
But then I thought to myself, who hasn't seen kittens at various ages?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess that makes sense. She did say she wanted a "small" persian. which was a red flag, but..she did supply the forms i asked for and i will be calling the vet in the Am ect. i have supplied lots of photos of various ages for the kits..they are certainly bigger than a coke can, heck i donteven have a soda can around, lol

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would also assume it would be for size. I would ask her about it.

Thats an odd thing to be asked.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When people are selling small dogs, such as Chihuahuas, they seem to always take pictures of their puppies next to a coke can or soup can. It is to compare size.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds to me like this person is into the teacup size persians! Red flag to me. I'd really check this person out and I would NOT sell them any breeding cats!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to worry the only kitty i have left is Benny, and hes neutered. I will be throughly checking. teacup did come to my mind, i just didnt wanna assume maybe there was a diffrent purpose. for it, Guess not everyone seems to assume like i ,*LOL* and Benny...is..alot bigger than a coke can, lol

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am with everyone else . . .as they want to check the size. but most "normal" persians are a lot bigger then a coke can. Some questions that potential buyers come up with scare me!!

Valerie

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah me too. Ah well what can ya do but answer as politely as possible.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard of that before, but in this case, it was to judge the kittens color. The family really wanted a dark orange kitty....not buff. They had gone to adopt a kitty from a shelter only to get there & see it was a buff kitten, not dark orange.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my gosh, i've never heard of toy/teacup persians. do they really have those? that's pretty insane. ugh.

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes I have seen teacup persians . . . at least I have seen 1 breeder who is trying to breed for the teacup size. (what she advertised on her website was the size of a soda can) Personally...I would not do that and would not buy that. But to each their own . .

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

oh my gosh, i've never heard of toy/teacup persians. do they really have those? that's pretty insane. ugh.
Seems like you can buy a teacup anything today....

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah its pretty sad. Its a designer gimic really. And I won't do it. IMO persians are on the smaller side to start with. and breeding them down purposely...is silly and just a gimic for more money. I did have two, kittens in my litters that are Smaller, but we havent labeled them as Teacup, and wouldnt purposely.try for them.

saynamore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

Yeah its pretty sad. Its a designer gimic really. And I won't do it. IMO persians are on the smaller side to start with. and breeding them down purposely...is silly and just a gimic for more money. I did have two, kittens in my litters that are Smaller, but we havent labeled them as Teacup, and wouldnt purposely.try for them.
Here in the uk we like our Persians BIG!!!!! not tiny. I once had a litter with a little dwarf kitten, which was highly unusual and can only be put down to a freak of genetics. He was perfect in every way but ended up losing his battle for life at 11 weeks old, so obviously something was not right. Hold on a sec, I'll just get a photo of Salem for you.........Chrissy

saynamore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right, this is a photo of Saynamore Salem's Lot, rip little man. He would definitely only have been the size of a coke can in this pic

Chrissy