PayPal Limited Account Access

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi

I'm not sure most of you know what I'm talking about or interested to talk on what I'm talking about, but on Friday PayPal froze my account for NO valid reason, they just wanted to get some information on some transactions in my account.

Today I got my account restored, but I think I'm going to link out my bank account from PayPal and also try to keep as much as money as I need there and nothing more, because I don't trust those idiots there who instead of protecting the customer - just hurt him

In addition, I read a lot of horrifying stories on the Internet (just google "PayPal froze my account" and see for yourself) and I'd like to ask you - did you have any experience with PayPal in the past? What do you think about this company?

I know it's not an issue related to cats (and I will post soon more photos of Strawbi, my cutie is pregnant now) but this forum is the place for it and I will be more than happy to hear your opinions

Thanks,

Arie

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a problem with paypal and have been using it for years, I had a minor problem when I first moved to Canada and hadn't deactivated my UK account, but a quick email got that sorted.
What information exactly did they want? Also did you send a spoof email you got to their abuse email, if they think you clicked on a link from a spoof email they do hold your account until they can verify it is you using the account

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have only been with paypal for 3 months and so far no problems. i know there is a lot of spoof emails going about so maybe it has something to do with that ?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a PayPal account for 6 or 7 years and never had any problems with it. I've gotten a lot of spoof e-mails threatening to freeze my account, but they come to my yahoo address, and I don't use that address for my PayPal account, so I know they're spoof. So far, I'm very happy with the service I've gotten from PayPal.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been using PayPal for several years, and am completely satisfied.

A year or so ago, there was some questionable activity that prompted them to put a hold on my account, until I went in, verified my identity, changed password, etc, etc. But it was clearly legitimate, fully explained when I logged in -- they didn't offer a link, and reiterated their usual instruction never to follow a link, but to type the URL into a new browser window. It took a few minutes to read and follow the instructions on the PayPal site, and to get the confirmation phone call, but then that was that and it's been fine ever since.

I do occasionally get a spoof email, which is easily identifiable, because they do tell you to follow a link, and they do not address you by name -- two absolute giveaways, because they are exactly opposite of what PayPal does. When that happens, I go onto the site by the proper route, check my account to make sure nothing unauthorized has happened, and then forward the spoof email to [email protected] and wait for instructions.

I wish all online dealings were as clean and trouble-free.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never clicked on links

They wanted to know why I got some payouts to my account

As you say this issue got sorted and I do get your opinions about it but read what other people have to say - they say that PayPal took away from them a lot of funds

Arie

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

there was some questionable activity that prompted them to put a hold on my account, until I went in, verified my identity, changed password, etc, etc.
I am so likewise!!

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had bad experiences with Paypal. They froze my very first account because they said I owed them $1000!!!!! Someone had put money into my account, realized that it was the wrong account or whatever, and then withdrew it instead of cancelling. Paypal didn't take it out of my bank account but I still had a negative balance of $1000. I tried calling them, emailing them, nothing worked to get it resolved. I did end up opening another Paypal (it's limited), but only because Ebay almost always requires it now.

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pipersjo

I have had bad experiences with Paypal. They froze my very first account because they said I owed them $1000!!!!! Someone had put money into my account, realized that it was the wrong account or whatever, and then withdrew it instead of cancelling. Paypal didn't take it out of my bank account but I still had a negative balance of $1000. I tried calling them, emailing them, nothing worked to get it resolved. I did end up opening another Paypal (it's limited), but only because Ebay almost always requires it now.
There are lots of stories like you just told us and thanks for sharing. Unfortunately PayPal is great for the buyer buyer and not for the seller and in a case someone blames you for something you're screwed .... nite

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
never ever click links in emails. they are usualy phishing emails. trying to getyour info. always log into payl direct never click a link..

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

never ever click links in emails. they are usualy phishing emails. trying to getyour info. always log into payl direct never click a link..
It's important to emphasize the risks involved when you use PayPal - those aren't only getting summed up in the fake/spoof-email issues! PayPal can sometimes freeze your account for no specific reason !

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They froxe my account when I lived in Bosnia, as it is apparently a non-authorised country, though I took my account with me when I went there. I had to provide various bits of information, identity etc before I got it working again, and even then only on a limited basis until I came here. Now I only have it linked to my bank account, never with any actual cash in it that I can't access.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've been using PayPal for about four years, and thus far haven't had any problems with it. It's really useful for making international payments.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've been using Paypal for years and years, and never had an issue. We were, however, notified by Ebay that someone had hacked into our account there and attempted to put up a TON of auctions (which is unusual activity for our account, especially considering the "items" being sold). It was flagged, none of the auctions were put up, but we had to jump through some hoops including changing out password for both Ebay and Paypal. Frankly, I appreciated that they did freeze our account for suspicious activity because in our case it WAS fraudulent. I would rather have them freeze it on suspicion than to have to try to prove fraud.

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have used paypal over the yrs, and never had a issue like that happen to me.

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the same problem with my account! When pushed for a reason why they froze it, it was because I had paid for 3 mobile phones in one month using paypal.

I understand the need for security but it was very inconvenient as I needed those phones delivered to me asap as they were christmas gifts. It took paypal 1 week to lift the restriction....causing my phones arrived after christmas!!! (when I bought the phones off ebay, the sellers had agreed to send them out for next day delivery!!! so I wasnt pleased).