Is Feliway the permanent solution?

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, we moved, and we're still having problems with Puppy meowing at night. Quick history:

Puppy has an anxiety disorder (he hallucinates and meows at walls when he has an attack). A really good diet has lessened the frequency of the problem, but he does weird behavior once a nigh. The vet suggested the off chance that it was mice in the walls. We have since moved to our new home (4 times the size and pest-inspected), and he's started up again.

We had Feliway during the first month to keep him calm, and he slept in our room at night, door closed. He had no problems, so we figured to stop the Feliway since he seemed settled. Back to the meowing...

Cat in room, door closed: meows to go out around 2
Cat out of room, door closed: meows to come in around 6
Door open: wanders around the house aimlessly, meowing at everything all night long.

So, trying again...any ideas before we turn to Feliway as a permanent solution to the problem? It's better than Paxil, but I'd really like to find another solution than drugging him up all the time. We are getting a second cat in a month, but we'd like to have Puppy settled better before we introduce more stress. The vet thinks his disorder is stress-induced.

...suggestions....

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think Feliway could be a long-term solution. I keep a diffuser on hand, but since Buspar, don't have it plugged in 24/7

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gosh it almost sounds like your kitty is really bored. could you try some extra playtime at night before you go to bed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We've tried extra playtime before. It makes little difference if any. For a while, he was getting 4 hours of hard play every day (jumping 2 feet into the air, racing back and forth through the house, wrestling, etc...).

For reference, he has, on several occasions, gone for at least 2 days without sleeping. We were home to watch him. His "cat crazies" come in two forms. His normal crazies are like most cats, where he chases things and jumps off furniture at lightening speed. Then there's the real crazies, where he's running away from something and is so frightened that he runs INTO furniture and walls. After the former, he pretends like nothing happened. After the later, he's usually hiding under the bed.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what about having a playmate - that might help

maybe your cat isn't 'ok' with being the only cat. maybe having another cat would help your cat through the crazies. . .like luxor used to never trust stoli's intuition and would get scared of things when stoli wasn't. now he just looks to see if stoli is ok with something and if he is, luxor is.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feliway isn't a drug though really. It just synthesizes the "I'm safe and at home" pheromones that cats give off anyway. So really it's the cat equivalent of a nice warm blanket and a cup of hot cocoa when it's raining outside.

I.e cats mark their core "I'm really safe here" territory with their facial pheromones (they'll mark you too when they rub their heads on you). Feliway boosts that up and makes the cat feel even safer and more relaxed. You could almost see it as you humans doing your share of territory marking to make it clear to the cat that he's safe and protected in your house. If it's working to help your cat I'd just use it all the time.

kittylea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

what about having a playmate - that might help

maybe your cat isn't 'ok' with being the only cat. maybe having another cat would help your cat through the crazies. . .like luxor used to never trust stoli's intuition and would get scared of things when stoli wasn't. now he just looks to see if stoli is ok with something and if he is, luxor is.
Another kitty could really work for you. My Sakura had a lot of anxieties before her sisiter came to us. She meows alot less now because shes not alone so much now. Infact now shes the brave, fearless kitty of the two. So keep this option in mind. If your open to having 2 cats this may be your solution.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

Feliway isn't a drug though really. It just synthesizes the "I'm safe and at home" pheromones that cats give off anyway. So really it's the cat equivalent of a nice warm blanket and a cup of hot cocoa when it's raining outside.

I.e cats mark their core "I'm really safe here" territory with their facial pheromones (they'll mark you too when they rub their heads on you). Feliway boosts that up and makes the cat feel even safer and more relaxed. You could almost see it as you humans doing your share of territory marking to make it clear to the cat that he's safe and protected in your house. If it's working to help your cat I'd just use it all the time.
That is a perfect explanation!
I use mine all the time. It just really keeps my special needs cats calm and secure. Which is what I want.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It could be that the lack of sleep is one of the primary problems. Since most cats need to sleep up to 16 or 18 hours a day, if yours is getting no sleep for a day or two... that could easily cause hallucinations and strange behavior.

Of course, the vet would know best, but it sounds to me like with this cat the psychological disorder may require medication and Feliway won't be enough.