Ordering prescription cat food on line

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here order their prescription cat food on line? After Bailey's surgery and diagnosis of IBD, he was started on Royal Canin/IVD rabbit & green peas canned. I'm having a terrible time getting it. My regular vet will only order in quantity (5 cases at a time) because if they order less, they have to pay a huge shipping bill and PetSmart has quit selling prescription food unless your pet sees the vet in their Banfield clinic.

I ordered a case from Rx Pet Food, but it took 5 days to get here and I ran out a day early so had to go back to Iowa State to pick up a few cans to get us through. Their price per case is actually about $10 less than what I paid at PetSmart, but of course the shipping added nearly $15 to that price.

I always have trouble the first time or two I order on line and end up cutting it close, but I've never run out of food before!

I'm not really unhappy with Rx Pet Food, but just wondered if anyone else used another company they were really happy with.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Debbie
Have you tried Vetcentric.com or Waggintails.com? I know I ordered from Vetcentric a long time ago when Cleo was first diagnosed with CRF. I think I ordered Walthams renal food from them. I don't remember them being overly expensive, but, it was quite a while ago that I ordered from them. Cleo didn't like the Waltham's renal food, so I ended up giving away most of the case, lol! I believe that your vet will need to call in a prescription to them. From their website, it looks like they carry IVD. I believe at the bottom of this page is a contact address. Here's a link to their "about" page. http://www.vetcentric.com/about/aboutUs.cfm

Hope this helps!

Pookie & the girls

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Pookie! I did check out Vetcentric but when it came time to order, I couldn't get in to make sure they had the food that Bailey needs. I'll check out Waggintails.com though as I hadn't heard of that one. My vet had to fax a prescription in to Rx Pet Food so they already had it on file.

angie8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I must be living under a rock!
I didn't even know I could buy Rx pet food online!!?? This would be a huge time saver for me since I buy 2 different Rx foods. I will have to look into this.........

Anyway, Debbie, now that I've gotten over the shock that I didn't know this
, I was going to say that I've been buying both of my Rx foods at Petsmart and none of my cats are seen by their vets......I had them call my vet's office to confirm the prescriptions, conditions treated, vet's name, etc. and then they put my information in their system and issued me an id card with the cat's name & the type of food on it--I just present that card when I go to pay for the food. I don't know why they'd do things differently where you are--if you haven't, you might want to ask them.

I started doing this because Petsmart is much more convenient to get to just to stock up on food, since I'm already in there buying litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's the link that I was talking about Angie. http://www.rxpetfood.com/ I'm not sure I would have known you could order prescription foods on line either, but I went round and round with the receptionist at my vet's office trying to talk her into ordering just 1 case of food for me. She finally told me about Vetcentric and so I just did an on-line search and found Rx Pet Food. I must be too stupid for words, but I tried again tonight to get into the list of foods that Vetcentric has available and to look at their prices, but I still can't figure out how!!!

I have an old, outdated prescription card for PetSmart and my vet did the same thing as yours, but now Banfield is telling me that they won't allow it any longer. What a pain! It was so easy just to run to the store here in town when I needed food rather than wait for a week to get it. Honestly, now that I know Bailey will eat it, I might see if my vet clinic will go ahead and order 5 cases and I'll just get it there as I need it. I go through it fairly quickly because I've got Chloe switched over to it too, and they eat nearly 2 cans a day.

angie8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just had them issue me a new card a few weeks ago to include Chandler's condition, since all they had was Gabby & Nala on w/d. Now I'm wondering if they're going to nix me if I try to buy that food again. It would not surprise me in the least for Banfield to up & change policies that way...but how silly for them to do this as it is income for them--there is no risk, that I can think of as long as they have another vet's approval--but then again, this may be a way to try & force people to change vets..........but don't even get me started on them. I'm not sure the vets in there could diagnose their way out of a paper bag

My vet's office is pretty easy about ordering just about anything. Funny, when Chandler had his surgery, and I was going through all the food trials here, my vet was trying to discontinue carrying the Waltham Urinary s/o and start more cats on the Purina u/r---they were only going to order RC for the stubborn kitties who wouldn't eat U/R. I think they ended up with so many kitties refusing the U/R that now they're keeping at least a few bags in stock now
. Cats always get the last word, don't they?? Even at the vet's office.

I need to go in Petsmart today to get litter so I'll see what they say about the Rx food and let you know.

Also, I also visited that link to vetcentric last night and cannot, for the life of me, figure out where to see the list of foods & prices, either. Kind of a bizarre set up they have there.

Originally Posted by DebsKats

Here's the link that I was talking about Angie. http://www.rxpetfood.com/ I'm not sure I would have known you could order prescription foods on line either, but I went round and round with the receptionist at my vet's office trying to talk her into ordering just 1 case of food for me. She finally told me about Vetcentric and so I just did an on-line search and found Rx Pet Food. I must be too stupid for words, but I tried again tonight to get into the list of foods that Vetcentric has available and to look at their prices, but I still can't figure out how!!!

I have an old, outdated prescription card for PetSmart and my vet did the same thing as yours, but now Banfield is telling me that they won't allow it any longer. What a pain! It was so easy just to run to the store here in town when I needed food rather than wait for a week to get it. Honestly, now that I know Bailey will eat it, I might see if my vet clinic will go ahead and order 5 cases and I'll just get it there as I need it. I go through it fairly quickly because I've got Chloe switched over to it too, and they eat nearly 2 cans a day.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that I heard (maybe thru my Yahoo CRF group) that Vetcentric works with your vet to set the prices that they charge for the foods that they sell. Sounds fishy to me, but for some reason, that is what sticks in my mind. When I bought the case of Waltham's renal food, I remember thinking that the price was reasonable for a prescription food. I will try posting a query on my CRF support group and see what I come up with on Vetcentric and get back with you two!

Pookie & the girls