One name just isn't enough

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I have silly senses of humor. Several of his ancestors were Native American so we decided that in addition to our cats actual names that they should have Native American names too. Friday became Stares With Yellow Eyes, Kit is Screams Like Eagle (she's high pitched and incessant) and Hemmy is Sits On Fat Butt, no explanation needed.

Anyone else have such unusual names for their cats or am I all alone in the weird category on this one?!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats all have middle names: Cleo Sue, Maggie May and Lola Jean. It's confusing for them though....they can't tell if they're being loved on or scolded...since I use their middle names for both!

purefusion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While not Native American, we have multiple names for our cats as well. Jaden almost always is called "Jaden Girl", though she has a real middle name of "Beardster". And Petal is Pretty Petal, Petal Girl, Petal Fuzz and Fuzzy. Miggy, whose "real" name is Miyagi is called Miggy-moo, Buddy Boo and my husband's favorite, "Miggy-moo migster-puppy" or Migster. I told my DH that Mig will get horribly confused calling him so many names, but he's doing great with it. When we call him just Miggy, his ears perk up and his tail goes up, a very good sign that he understands. I think these multiple names make the cats feel special and loved.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since we typically rescued in pairs, those pairs are always given an additional name. I guess you could consider it a last name.

Sage and Dakota are the "Igamus", or "Mu's" for short. Don't know if the spelling is right but it's Lakota Sioux for "cat" (there isn't a written language in that tribe). Our nephew teaches at a native American school in South Dakota and we asked him for the word for cat.

Muddy and Koko (also brothers Jake and Elwood who were adopted out) are collectively "The Kitten-Ninos". We travel regularly to Mexico with the parents of Jake and Elwood and not knowing the spanish name for kittens, we made up a name. Ours are actually the "Nino's East" and the siblings are the "Nino's West" due to our geographic proximity to each other. The rest of the cats in the household are called "The Gatos" in relation to the Nino's.

Pinky (and his OTB brother Ruby) are the "Brunkles". They came from the same feral colony as our little orphaned girl Scarlett (aka "Sniece") and since they look so much alike are are most likely related, we couldn't decide whether they were brothers or uncles (brunkle) to our Scarlett, therefore making her either a sister or niece (sniece). We're probably wrong, but it gives us a good chuckle at times.

Which brings us to Stumpy, the first cat we pulled from the feral colony. He's simply "Uncle Stumpy". Yes, we found him with half of his tail chopped off and the name itself brings a chuckle.

Eightball (and his OTB brother Tigger) are simply the "Nut Jobs". Basically describes their personality.

Oscar and Spanky are "The Little Rascals". We found them with a black cat that we called Darla for a while but we adopted her out as Billie Holiday. Oscar was going to be Buckwheat but the name didn't fit as he's a red tabby.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

My husband and I have silly senses of humor. Several of his ancestors were Native American so we decided that in addition to our cats actual names that they should have Native American names too. Friday became Stares With Yellow Eyes, Kit is Screams Like Eagle (she's high pitched and incessant) and Hemmy is Sits On Fat Butt, no explanation needed.

Anyone else have such unusual names for their cats or am I all alone in the weird category on this one?!
Well, here I go:

8-Bit Wolfgang
Scratch Fury Destroyer of Worlds
Dr. D Claw