Egg Drop Contest

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok my kids are doing a project due Monday.. EGG DROP... I have to make 3 different onse. They are dropping it off the roof of the school.

How can I do this without the egg breaking I will post the results Monday also.

We can package it how every they want to.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw this on the news recently of a local school also doing this, and the ones that "survived" were wrapped heavily in foam and bubble wrap, and then were placed inside a small styrofoam container where it fit snuggly around the egg...good luck..

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also wonder if you couldn't place the egg in a box of some sort, and fill it all around the egg evenly with the loose stuffing that is used for say stuffed animals, but make it really snug fitting so it may take a good full bag of the stuffing...Just trying to help out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now the egg is wrapped in 2 rolls of TO we are going to see if it will work

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you use some sort of parachute so that it'll slow down as it falls and reduce the impact shock? I'd totally pack it with lots of foam and bubble wrap so that it fits snugly in a box (making sure that it's got enough foam on the bottom to compress a bit on impact and still be cushioning) and top it off with a parachute.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we have 1 done we wrapped the egg in 2 rolls of TP the filled a box with have of popcorn then placed the now huge egg in it filled rest with popcorn We tossed it off the roof 2x and it did not break. Fingers crossed it works.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about a tupperwear container with cotton balls to protect it? Good luck and let us know how it went.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the key is to wrap it in many layers, box it, and then put the whole thing in another box, also with layers of padding inside...

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh i did this one about 13 years ago when i was a little grade fiver :p i used bubble wrap and straws. Although i dont remember why lol

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did this too... and forgot the designs that didn't break

I do remember you want something very shock absorbent, a material that won't transfer the force on the egg or let it move too much inside the box. I remember stuffing didn't work and neither did someone's idea of using fluffy wood chip bedding. I think bubble wrap did work.

I do sort of remember a classmate having a very weird design. The egg was sort of supported by a bungee set up of rubber bands from all sides. The first time they didn't get the rubber band taunt enough.
Of course ours had to survive a fall off a roof and a grain silo. Not many survived the silo, that fall would actually bust some of the boxes themselves open.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I think the key is to wrap it in many layers, box it, and then put the whole thing in another box, also with layers of padding inside...
we might try this one

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember doing this project in 6th grade for science class. I also remember mine broke! lol However, the key is to protect it with many layers such as bubble wrap and then stick that in a can or tight fitting container so that it stabilizes the impact. I also think a parachute would help to slow down the speed. Good Luck!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put it in a little kitty back pack and let the cat jump off the roof with it. Of course, this all depends on how high the roof is. One story, it may work! (This idea was inspired by the barn cats who, at this moment, are having a party on my mother-in-law's porch roof! How they get up, I'm not sure, but they jump straight to the ground. I am NOT, in ANY way, suggesting throwing a cat off a roof! Just had to explain myself.)

Ok, ignore this post...I think my cold medicine has affected my brain.

But, you got to admit...the mental image is cute! "Super Kitty"!!!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We did this when I was in school (I think almost every school does) and one successful attempt had the egg suspended in Jello in tupperware.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

We did this when I was in school (I think almost every school does) and one successful attempt had the egg suspended in Jello in tupperware.
We where going to try this but figured it would fail LOl I might then.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok we finished the other 2.

2nd one was an egg placed in a peanut butter jar with PB all around it wrapped the jar in TP and filled the box with TB and sealed it.

3rd one is a tupperware container filled with jello frozen placed egg in middle filled little by little to over the top with jello fridge over night then placed in a box of bubbles. Wish my kids luck. This will be cool.