bored and making cat art

williac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been slowly working on my next cartoon. As I go, to relieve the boredom I doodle on paper, and my computer. The vector art was created with INKSCAPE

I was given an art set yesterday that contained some watercolor paints. I don't have the right kind of paper. Every time I would touch the wet brush to the paper it would swell up. I can't remember ever using watercolors before. Its not great, but it amused me for awhile.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use normal art paper, such as a fine drawing paper if you're careful with the water colors. You can't do a very diluted wash, but you can do smaller work with less water in the mix without the paper swelling.

I like to doodle with water colors on drawing paper because water color paper is too expensive to just goof around on.

If you have a nice art store around you should go explore through the supplies a bit. Some sell individual markers, or at least they do for the higher end ones. So you could test what brands work best for you without buying a whole set. Greys and browns would be good test colors if you'll be using them a lot.
Unfortunately, I've never had much luck with markers. The best I found for my uses where some Prang brush pens (cheapie markers
) that were washable, thus water soluble and would blend with a wet paint brush.

Your comics are very cute, by the way.
You do need more work with whatever media you decide to use, but creativity is the biggest part of it, and you have plenty of that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

williac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the positive comments. I live 30 minutes from a hobby lobby. I am thinking of trying to do a few watercolor tests on scraps of drywall that I can get from work. Its pretty tough stuff. I would be the first to agree that there is room for improvement in my drawings/cartoons. I figure If I keep trying I can't get any worse

WILLIAC

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by williac

I live 30 minutes from a hobby lobby.
I live about an hour away from the nearest hobby lobby, probably for the best since I really do have enough supplies.
I also order a lot from http://www.dickblick.com/ they usually have a lot of sales.
Originally Posted by williac

I am thinking of trying to do a few watercolor tests on scraps of drywall that I can get from work. Its pretty tough stuff.
Drywall?! that's certainly an interesting idea for surface.

That would probably work well for heavy acrylic or oils, I wonder if I have a piece of it around here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

williac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you know of any construction projects in your area that are at the drywalling stage you could ask them. Most crews throw the off-cut stuff away. How big the pieces they have left depend on the house their hanging it in and their skill level.

WILLIAC