Not Eating/Drinking Yet - When do I get worried?

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brought Vincent home Thursday evening around 9:00pm. Its not about 36 hours later and as of yet he has not eaten anything and he appears to not have drank any of his water either (although that is harder to tell).

He has been curious and come out to explore the whole house at this point. He found and used the litter box so that's good.

I am trying to figure out if he's still freaked and not eating or he doesn't like his food? I am going to go out later today and buy a few more cans of different varieties of wet food to try with him.

At what point do I get concerned? Brendan says - "when he gets hungry enough he'll eat" but I always worry.

Any advice or suggestions to get this guy comfy and eating would be appreciated! Thanks!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you maybe tempt him with some fresh boiled chicken or tuna juice over his food? I'm sure he is just scared and will eat soon. Please keep a close eye on him and let us know

Can't wait for pictures!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PaulaS

Could you maybe tempt him with some fresh boiled chicken or tuna juice over his food? I'm sure he is just scared and will eat soon. Please keep a close eye on him and let us know

Can't wait for pictures!
Paula - The first pictures are in this thread:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120938

Enjoy!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats willl not eat when they get hungry enough...in fact, the longer they go without eating, the more chance they will have no appetite to do so. They just aren't wired the way we are, and can quickly get into trouble without eating (read Hissy's excellen article on Hepatic Lipidosis).

If you are sure there has been not even water in, I'd say a call to the vet asap this morning is in order.

For tempting...try a homemade chicken broth, baby food (meat only, check for any onions or garlic).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Without drinking water, they can dehydrate quickly. How old is he? I would call the vet. A cat can survive longer without food then without water! Try some boiled shredded chicken breast.

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he did lick some of the gravy from the salmon feast i just gave him - gobbled a little of the food but not much. The vet is closed until Monday. If I get in dire straits I will call the vet but right now I will continue to encourage more eating even if just in small amounts until I call can them Monday. (Unless of course his appetite grows by then).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you call an er vet ???

do you know how to syringe feed??

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone who was so concerned yesterday. I called his foster mom (who has fostered for years - she has 10 cats of her own and about 6 or 7 fosters). I got all of his food preferences and she assured me that letting him get through this weekend would be fine and if he wasn't eating by Mon. to call the vet.

DH and I went to Petsmart, bought all the correct foods and he started to chow down last night. I am now 100% positive he is eating drinking and using the box.

Thanks again! Just wanted to give the positive update,