Decorating With Pets

atigger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It may be slightly crazy sounding... but decorating a new living room with my Kitty in mind is something I've been mulling over. Matching the color of a couch with Kitty's hair seems to be a pretty good idea that I found on this pets in apartments page given that her hair gets everywhere. But I'd like to take it a step further even... Call me crazy!
If anyone has thought of doing this before or has any cute or clever ideas I'd be super interested to hear. Thanks!

dd

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aTigger

It may be slightly crazy sounding... but decorating a new living room with my Kitty in mind is something I've been mulling over. Matching the color of a couch with Kitty's hair seems to be a pretty good idea that I found on this pets in apartments page given that her hair gets everywhere. But I'd like to take it a step further even... Call me crazy!
If anyone has thought of doing this before or has any cute or clever ideas I'd be super interested to hear. Thanks!

dd
I bought a couch with removable and washable covers just because of the boys:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...mber=S39829782

This allows me to wash off any pet hair and any dander from it at a moments notice.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My entire house is decorated with my pets in mind, and I'll go even further to say that when we bought this house, it was with the needs of our babies in mind.

I have too many different colors of critters, so I could never settle on a furniture cover that would hide all of the fur. The last sofa I went darker than normal, as the black hair from my dog and 3 of the cats tended to make lighter color fabrics look dingy. But I have blankets that match the theme of the living room covering the sofa, love seat and chair.

Cat trees are either neutral colors, or made from carpet remnants that match the room. I've gone down the path of bamboo and rattan on some furniture cause it matches the sisal on the scratch posts (which are strategically placed next to the furniture they might be tempted to scratch).

Since I make my cat beds, they also at least match the general color themes in my house.

I'm about to paint my sun porch and as I'm deciding color, I look at the 3 cat condos in that room. One is dark brown, one tan and the other cream. You canl bet that the room will end up painted in a color that will compliment the trees.

I'm in the process of remodeling my kitchen. The window sills are wide enough for cats and low enough for the dogs to look out. Blinds are cordless so they can't hurt themselves, and the bar counter we added is now affectionately called the "cat walk". The floor was chosen to specifically hide not only hair, but muddy footprints from the dogs (it's working).

A bathroom is also under remodel and the tile was chosen to hide pet messes (litter box in there also). We added a near silent venting fan to suck out the smell of the litter box.

Utility room remodel: added the silent venting fan (another litter box area), a large counter for another feeding platform and specifically had an electrical outlet strategically placed so that I could plug in their water fountain. Added a huge window over the counter so that cats could look out as they nibbled.

Another bathroom has a great vanity counter that makes the perfect feeding platform for the cats. When we get around to gutting that room (it still has the original 1972 harvest gold and brown marble), that counter will be replaced, but still remain for their needs.

Drapes: machine washable or I don't buy them.

Then there are the general things I do through-out my house to protect my cats from hurting either themselves or my belongings.

I don't own an open book case or cabinet. Every small item that could get knocked over or broke is safely housed in a china cabinet, curio cabinet, or glass doored case (books, CD's, TV cabinet). Even my computer is in an armoir.

Kitchen and bathroom cabinets have interior latches or strong magnets on the ones that hold chemicals. All garbage cans have lids.

So yeah, I guess I decorate with the cats & dogs in mind.......

angie8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My whole house is pretty much done with the cats in mind, as well. With 8 of them, I have no choice. Every purchase I make, whether it be furniture, rugs, drapes, whatever........is made considering how well will it hold up to the cats.

I'm curently wanting to buy a reading chair for my study. Since the cats spend lots of time in here, I'm having to carefully consider what fabric I choose for the chair. It's not always easy trying to mesh my taste in furniture & home decor with what is "cat-friendly", but I've managed to do it for the most part. Alot of it is trial & error, unfortunately.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Give your pet his or her own plush, washable bed in your room, the living room and the study. They wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t need to get on your furniture if they have a bed in ever room of your apartment!"

These people have not met my cat or my dogs. I could have a bed for everyroom and they would still be on my furniture.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

"Give your pet his or her own plush, washable bed in your room, the living room and the study. They wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t need to get on your furniture if they have a bed in ever room of your apartment!"

These people have not met my cat or my dogs. I could have a bed for everyroom and they would still be on my furniture.
They may not need to get on the furniture, but that doesn't mean that they won't ...

My "decorating" basically consists of me answering a few simple questions: Will Spike break it? Will I be devastated when Spike breaks it? Will Spike eat it? Will it hurt Spike or make him sick when he eats it? If the answer to all these questions is "yes," it doesn't go in the house. I have been known to wander my apartment yelling "This is why we can't have nice things!!!"

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

My kiddles will jump over the pet bed to get on the furnature. The only place I've had success is where the cat tree is the better option (taller, better scratching surface) than the furnature.

Yes, I think I bought my house with kitties in mind...I have lots of windows, big window sills and big radiators... all very kitty friendly

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I even buy clothes with the cats in mind, I will try something on and decide that the cats will bite this / cover that with fur etc so I definitely think about it when decorating / buying furniture also