Arm and Hammer Litter? Any good?

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, the litter we have used for Lucky, and Hunter, is Arm and Hammer. Are there any better litters? Because, this litter clumps like I like, but still stinks to high cookies!! lol, help would be adored. Thank you for reading!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I actually liked A@ H litter, but I hate clumping litter! I thought it kept the smell down pretty well. I switched to Cat's Pride (non-clumping) litter. It comes in large bags (Wal-Mart, grocery store, ets.); at Wal-Mart it's only $4.16 a bag (20 lbs?). I like the texture of it; it's small chips, not the sandy stuff. Solid waste kind of dries up in it, making it easier to scoop. I find, even with 9 cats, there isn't much of a smell (admittedly, the litter boxes are not indoors, but in the garage, so this may help--but I think I was using it when I had 5 boxes in my laundry room. However, the garage is attached to the house, and there's a cat door, so I think, if the smell was bad, I'd still get a whiff). I discovered it when I used their Kat Kits, disposable pre-filled litter boxes (about $2.55 each at Giant--up to almost $5.00 at PetSmart, Acme, etc.). These are great--admittedly, not very deep, so litter does scatter--but you just cut the labels open, and place the box--and trash the whole thing when it's messy. (Yes, you can recycle the box.) Anyway, it's the stuff they are pre-filled with. Cheap ole me often washes out the pans, and refills them with the same litter! You can use the pan 3 or 4 times before it cracks. I wash them out, and keep a supply on hand for the days I'm in a hurry, and have the change the litter, and don't have time to wash out a real box, put a lined in it, etc. I can't afford to buy 9 or 10 boxes a week, so I use a combination of these and normal litter boxes. The cats seem to like them.

I loved it when the Kat Kits came with .75 coupons inside--I sometimes had to scratch around in the clean litter to find them--which provoked some strange looks from the cats...but, darn it, .75 is .75, and Giant doubles them up to $1.50! I even found a barely touched one I missed in a slightly used litter box; fished it out, rinsed it off, dried it, and redeemed it!

MargeCat

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE A&H litter, haven't used anything else. It did stink when Ferris was not yet neutered, but months after the neutering, I can only smell stinkies after a kitty poop drop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep, both cats indoors are spayed and neutered.
You can always tell when they have pooped with this litter lol.

junglebutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use arm and hammer multi-cats and It works great for my cats there is no smell. I have 3 cats and one is tempermental about her box. I like it because it clumps pretty well like tidy cats but it is way less dusty. The only downfall is taht it sticks to the bottom of the boxes. Tidy cats needs to work on getting their dust down because it is the best litter I have ever used It clumps pee up rock solid and it doesnt fall apart at all and it covers the smell wonderfully. If anyone affiliated with tiday cats is reading this FIX THE DUST and we will have perfect litter!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by junglebutterfly

Tidy cats needs to work on getting their dust down because it is the best litter I have ever used It clumps pee up rock solid and it doesnt fall apart at all and it covers the smell wonderfully. If anyone affiliated with tiday cats is reading this FIX THE DUST and we will have perfect litter!
I loved Tidy Cats and I was going to switch to A&H, but ended up moving to corn litter b/c the dust from all the clay was just too much for my little guy...dig, dig, sneeze, dig, dig sneeze

It did work great except for the dust...

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we use it here with the crew and it works pretty good it does stick to the bottom of the boxes sometimes but otherwise no complaints.

black&tan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We use Ever Clean unscented. I LOVED Ever Clean Unscented with ActivBloc. Never a smell, ever. They recently reformulated all their litter and I am not crazy with the results. There is still no smell but they added charcoal to it and I despise the charcoal. I have two large hooded IRIS pans in my laundry room and under that I have a scrap piece of carpet to catch any litter that might track. I noticed a difference with the charcoal dust on the carpet.

Now I have a young girl who thinks the litter is really the beach and she likes to roll in it. She walk out with litter on her fur. lol I have hard floors most all of the first floor so it isn't a big problem but for someone with carpet the charcoal may be an issue.

I have tried a number of "Natural" litters and I still this Ever Clean is hands down the best odor control. I have 5 girls sharing these pans so I have tested it for heavy traffic, lol.
I also have 4 other pans in other parts of the house but the ones above get the heavy traffic.

ps....for clumping nay sayers, I recently found a feline only Vet who recommends Ever Clean.http://www.catdoctors.com/about.html
pps...for new kittens I always use regular clay litter just to be safe....and it smells. ROFLOL