Found. Skinny and tired.

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok normally I wouldn't just bring a cat into my house. I was very careful when I got Squeak. He went to the vet before I even brought him home. But today I did it. I had been seeing this little maybe 6-8 month old female Calico running round my house for aleast a week. She always comes up to me and wants to be pet and enjoys the human companionship. and I always noticed you could feel every bone in her body and she had a red collar on with a bell that was hanging down because she had lost so much weight. Well we had been feeding her the last few days putting out food. Today my roomate looked out there and said she was here so we took some food out there and she ate and ate and ate. we had to take it away from her so she wouldn't make herself sick. and it's like 40 outside so..........I brought her in. Squeak and Angel are not happy with me but I can't let her starve out there. I don't know if I should keep her. I am going to put an add in the paper on monday to make sure someone didn't lose her. But if there is no claim to her.......... My cats are not fond of her an she is not really fond of them but I think it is because they hissed at her she was fine until Squeak started hissing. they won't get close to each other so I locked her in the bathroom for now. Any Suggestions would help!!!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brought a cat in from outdoors not so long ago because he was out and the weather suddenly turned bad - I let him out again come morning because I know that he lives a couple of doors down and is loved and well fed and healthy, I was just giving him a roof for the night!

However if this girl seems to be underfed I would definitely keep her under your wing for the time being - put posters up and notify vet surgeries and shelters that you have her. If she'd thin, it's not necessarily because she had bad owners, it may be that she got out and ran off in a fright and they have been looking for her and she can't fend for herself that well so has gotten thin, or that she has been ill and escaped, so don't assume she's not loved without trying to find out where she belongs. It always worries me that kitties do occasionally go missing and they don't always look in that good condition after a while outdoors, but it doesn't necessarily mean they've been abandoned.

Was there a tag on her collar or anything to identify where she may have come from? We don't have such things here but if she's been vaccinated for Rabies there may be some kind of code or serial number on a tag which your vet would be able to interpret?

She's a little beauty
Hissing and growling is normal, but I wouldn't let her interact with your other cats until she's been vet checked and tested for FIV/FeLV.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually didn't think of that and now I am worried. I can't get her to the vet until atleast wensday. I am already planning to notify the papers and local radio station. Is there any signs of FIV I can look for? Both of my cats have been vacinated agaisnt FIV they should be ok right?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure a cat could be carrying either disease and not show any signs at all.

FIV is much harder to transmit casually, FeLV on the other hand can be transmitted pretty easily. So do keep her isolated and wash your hands, etc...whenever you've been with her.

Here's a good article about FeLV

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/felv.html

And one about FIV

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/fiv.html

There's a "combo" blood test to check for both...it's quick and fairly inexpensive. I think I paid $29 for the test the last time I had a cat checked.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I'm pretty sure a cat could be carrying either disease and not show any signs at all.

FIV is much harder to transmit casually, FeLV on the other hand can be transmitted pretty easily. So do keep her isolated and wash your hands, etc...whenever you've been with her.

Here's a good article about FeLV

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/felv.html

And one about FIV

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/fiv.html

There's a "combo" blood test to check for both...it's quick and fairly inexpensive. I think I paid $29 for the test the last time I had a cat checked.

FIV won't be spread during normal contact, only during fighting where there is saliva going directly into the blood, or cross-contamination of blood through open wounds, or mating. FeLV can be spread through saliva by sharing bowls and mutual grooming. Always best to get new cats tested before letting them interact with your existing cats, as both diseases can be carried by cats who don't show any symptoms.

I am sorry if I alarmed you in any way, my philosophy is always to have quarantine procedures in place just in case.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How wonderful of you to care for this pretty kitty...Just keep her isolated from your other cats, and maybe place a rolled towel at the bottom of the door so your cat's don't try to smell her...

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well I just checked on her and saw the something I am soooooooo happy about!!! She was using the litter box!!!! so if everything is ok she atleast knows that.

helga06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's so beautiful. Oh, you must keep her. She needs someone to pamper her...poor little thing. Hope everything turns out fine for her.

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well we just got home frome the vet. thankfully they let me in today. One of the vets in town is open from 9-12 today for appointments only and they let me bring her in. I asked for only the FIV/FeVL test because I couldn't afford anything else at the moment. and they ended up doind the entire checkup they took her blood and fecal sample and came back to tell me........ EVERYTHING IS GREAT!!!
they said she was definatly under weight and that she just needs some good food and a loving home. I did get the greatest news she is already fixed!
they also said she is about a year to two years which I was suprised about. I thought she was about 6-10 months. Just thought I would let everyone know!!! So Monday I am putting a found add in the paper. Hopefully no one claims her. I know it is mean but I like her she could stay with me. Angel and Squeak are still uneasy. I think with time they will calm down.

emmyface

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Congratulations on the good news from the vet!

Regarding the other cats--when I got my Hamlet baby (seven weeks old and louder than a tornado siren) my Buena Suerte cat kept giving me this look like I had left the door open and something awful had come in. He kept trying to follow her around (after the vet checked him and I let him out of the bathroom) and she'd hiss and swipe at him. Now she gives him half her treats and grooms his face when he's a afraid of thunder. So a 180 is certainly possible with time.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JavannaLynn

Well we just got home frome the vet. thankfully they let me in today. One of the vets in town is open from 9-12 today for appointments only and they let me bring her in. I asked for only the FIV/FeVL test because I couldn't afford anything else at the moment. and they ended up doind the entire checkup they took her blood and fecal sample and came back to tell me........ EVERYTHING IS GREAT!!!
they said she was definatly under weight and that she just needs some good food and a loving home. I did get the greatest news she is already fixed!
they also said she is about a year to two years which I was suprised about. I thought she was about 6-10 months. Just thought I would let everyone know!!! So Monday I am putting a found add in the paper. Hopefully no one claims her. I know it is mean but I like her she could stay with me. Angel and Squeak are still uneasy. I think with time they will calm down.
You are doing a great thing in caring for this kitty, I know you will give her a great home if no one claims her.

Keep us updated on her.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How wonderful to get such good news from the vet..I am sure that put your mind at ease..What a great thing you are doing for this poor baby..