Hills recalls dry food

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am watching ABC news and they just announced that Hills is recalling its dry food.

I am trying to find this online now.

"Hills Pet Nutrition, Inc. Voluntarily Recalls Single Product, Prescription Diet™ m/d™ Feline Dry Food, Only Product Containing Wheat Gluten"
http://www.hillspet.com/menu_foods/M...2007_en_US.htm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ha we all posted the link at the exact same time. GMTA

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mia mouse

Ha we all posted the link at the exact same time. GMTA
LOL
I don't know about you, but I would have been quicker but the Hills site seems a little overwhelmed at the moment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The news is now saying there is another maker of dry food but it is not identified yet. They are trying to verify if the gluten has been used in the food yet.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! My Jasmine has had that
We tried her on it a few weeks back (with no luck to help remedy a weight issue) and then switched her back to Purina Indoor Cat Formula. Thanks for posting this info. I'm going to be watching her closely for any signs.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, I freaked this morning when I heard Hills recalling...because I have Emily on Hills kitten formula dry, but it was only that one kind..

pyewackette

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got an e-mail from one of my friends who is in the pet rescue business--it seems there's now disturbing news about dry pet food as well...in her e-mail it mentions about Science Diet dry food...then I did some searches around and PETA want to demand the recall of IAMS dry food as well....has anyone heard anything else about this? Also the news says now that it wasn't rat poison in the moist food because of that wheat gluten but a chemical called Melamine--a substance chemical for plastics. What is going on? How can we really get the real facts about anything?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
This thread has the latest links: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho....php?p=1688972

Basically the FDA couldn't find the rat poison but did find the melamine which is used for plastics and fertilizer.

The Science Diet M/D also used wheat gluten from the same shipment as the Menu products so it is currently being recalled.

Everything else is speculation and PETA is not the most reliable of information as they have been after IAMS for awhile now.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The FDA sent a warning to Iams and Eukanuba about an ingrediant NOT related to the recall that is not tested and approved for pet use... the link is on here somewhere

junglebutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Who has details on this? I heard just a teaser thing on the news and they did mention Hills. hills makes science diet and thats what I feed to My fosters and Momma Lucy. What is going on with this does anyone know??

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG my Tavia eats hills science diet but she doesn't eat the md stuff and she has not acted differently so I am simply going to pull her food I have not heard yet if whiskas or purina is safe or not. I can't feed her just any thing because she has a very sensitive stomach. I had some whiskas kitten food that I use for a stray that comes around so I am feeding that to her for now. Can anyone tell me if the purina or the whiskas is safe or not?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

OMG my Tavia eats hills science diet but she doesn't eat the md stuff and she has not acted differently so I am simply going to pull her food I have not heard yet if whiskas or purina is safe or not. I can't feed her just any thing because she has a very sensitive stomach. I had some whiskas kitten food that I use for a stray that comes around so I am feeding that to her for now. Can anyone tell me if the purina or the whiskas is safe or not?
Purina doesn't use Menu foods for their manufacturing. The only thing they recalled was a dog version of the chunk/gravy food.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Purina doesn't use Menu foods for their manufacturing. The only thing they recalled was a dog version of the chunk/gravy food.
Do you know about the whiskas I am using it just until I get to the store to get her some purina.