Nutro web site says NO WHEAT GLUTEN in dry food

sanboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the NUTRO web site says there is NO WHEAT GLUTEN in the dry foods

so NUTRO DRY should be safe no matter what ..

wouldnt you think ?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you use the Natural choice 100000% yes it has no wheat .... if you use max and have no allergy issues then YES

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

If you use the Natural choice 100000% yes it has no wheat .... if you use max and have no allergy issues then YES
Yes. Sammy is allergic to everything. The ONLY thing he can eat --and I have tried every single kind of cereal/dry food-- is Nutro Roasted Chicken. He does very well with it. Even other "natural" or "organic" brands are not - he elevates every single time. It's taken almost a year after we adopted him in May '06 to nail it down. Nutro is GREAT.

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting this. I am feeding mine the nutro natural indoor formula.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sanboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i was starting to get scared when i heard about the dry food issues . .but with NUTRO saying there is NO WHEAT GLUTEN .. i think its a non issue ..

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I thought Nutro DID have wheat gluten in it... I feed Nutro Natural Choice Indoor Weight Management. Either way, Im not satisfied.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

I guess I thought Nutro DID have wheat gluten in it... I feed Nutro Natural Choice Indoor Weight Management. Either way, Im not satisfied.
YOURS has NO WHEAT .... but the indoor wt mgmt I find isnt quite as liked by the catsas the reg natual choice wt mgmt...

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the indoor senior dry cat food. Now I know I already fed them some potentially affected cat food and I'm not very happy about that, so should I get rid of the Nutro all together? If I do, I'll be getting rid of a big bag of that and two of those big containers of Pro Plan since I mix the two together.
I will though since I won't risk my cats health anymore. I just am at a loss as to what to feed them anymore.

cyberseal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't get rid of anything...if your cats get sick, you've thrown the evidence away.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, but should I stop feeding them the Nutro then?
Oh poop, I just looked at the ingredients of Por Plan(the only thing Isis will eat) and it has wheat gluten in it.
I think I need to switch food.ASAP. And I just bought a big bag of Pro Plan a few days ago and divided it down into smaller plastic containers because Neffie was tearing at the bag to get into the food.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Summer is on Purina UR for frequent bladder infections. I noticed it has WHEAT gluten. I just bought some Nutro Max (which also helps UTIs). Should I just feed the nutro to be safe? I was feeding natural balance venison and green pea, but my vet said if I didn't want to buy the perscription stuff (Chevy gets a very upset tummy from science diet c/d and I told them this) then I'll have to give her cosequin AND methigel TWICE daily. The hell???? What should I give them?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sofiecusion

Summer is on Purina UR for frequent bladder infections. I noticed it has WHEAT gluten. I just bought some Nutro Max (which also helps UTIs). Should I just feed the nutro to be safe? I was feeding natural balance venison and green pea, but my vet said if I didn't want to buy the perscription stuff (Chevy gets a very upset tummy from science diet c/d and I told them this) then I'll have to give her cosequin AND methigel TWICE daily. The hell???? What should I give them?
If I was in your situation, I would stop the UR to be safe...because of the wheat gluten, and just feed the MAX until you talk to your vet monday....Maybe ask about Waltham's Urinary SO. It does not have wheat gluten. It's another Urinary RX diet.

http://www.walthamusa.com/Learning Center/SO30.html

http://www.walthamusa.com/Learning%2.../SO30-dry.html

Methigel can be a pain if they won't just lick it up. I guess you've tried?

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. She was on it for her last UTI twice a day along with the antibiotic. chevy gets excited whenever I pop the tube open, but Summer hates it and she jerks around a lot getting the sticky stuff all over herself! Then she hides all day from me so I can't clean her up right away. GRRR.

They're both eating the nutro max cat right now. Summer was on it while at the rescue I got her from. I bought one bag before then read up on my cat nutrition and got her the natural balance. Since then she's had several UTIs. My vet suggested trying non-RX foods for urinary too. I got some free kitten nutro when we got Chevy, so he should be fine on the adult formula.

Thanks for the advice!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Max should be fine ... Yes it contains wheat but not just wheat gluten , also it is NOT MADE at MENU ... It is MADE in a NUTRO plant... if you are really concerned talk with your vet about Natural choice ... the % are in the Uti safe range and no wheat

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Waltham SO (same as Royal canine SO) works great for cats with urinary problems. That is what I feed mine.