I am so upset I am physically shaking!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I went to the grocery store just now to get a salad for lunch, and as I came around the end of an isle I almost ran smack into a carriage that had a little boy sitting in it. He couldn't had been any older than 5-6, and was playing with a little handheld game.

I looked around, and saw NO ONE that looked like his mother, which immediately freaked me out. So I stood just off to the side, and watched him, waiting to see how long it would be before a parent showed up - but also to protect him, just in case!

About a half-minute later I noticed a woman with a physical resemblence to him (they were of Asian decent, therefore I made the assumption) who was at a sample table about 25 feet away, with her back turned to him. As I watched, this woman, engaged in deep conversation with the sample lady, walked even further away, still with her back turned away from the child (!) to compare information on boxes of frozen fish.

I watched and waited, and waited, and waited, and finally after about 5 minutes, this woman slooowly made her way back to the carriage with the boy in it. At his point, I just could NOT help myself, I was SO angry at her!

I went over, and these are the exact words I said, in a calm and polite manner (although inside I was STEAMING) : "Excuse me, I don't mean to get into your business, but I want you to know that I could have stolen your son and been out of this store and long gone with him before you ever turned around. If you love your son, PLEASE do not leave him alone and walk away from him like that ever again."

She just stared at me with a blank look - I don't even know if she spoke English to tell you the truth. I just walked away at that point, still incredibly upset - I'm STILL shaking!

I'm sorry, but IMO, this is exactly the type of person that has NO BUSINESS being a parent! If I ever see this child's face on an Amber Alert, I seriously won't be surprised!

OK, I feel a LITTLE bit better now that I have vented. Thanks for "listening."

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it's a good thing that you stayed around to keep this child safe...Some people just don't understand how fast something bad could happen to a small child..it's on the news everyday...Stupid woman...

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Calm down honey...I understand how you feel. It amazes me (in an awful way) how parents/grown ups can leave a child unattended like that. It was good that you stayed there close to the little one...its so scarey...and it was really good that you talked to her about it...I hope she did understand every single word you said!

I hope you can relax a little now...try to enjoy your lunch.

Hugs...
Hilda>^..^<

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The woman should have thanked you for being so incredibly thoughtful and responsible. (If she was engaged in conversation with the sample woman, then it's pretty safe to say that she speaks English.)

So, on behalf of the common-senseless woman - thank you for protecting (her) child when (she) chose not to do so.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betsy, I understand completely...the ignorance of some people astounds me
This is a different world we live in today, a very scary world. It only takes a second for something bad to happen
You did the right thing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

The woman should have thanked you for being so incredibly thoughtful and responsible. (If she was engaged in conversation with the sample woman, then it's pretty safe to say that she speaks English.)

So, on behalf of the common-senseless woman - thank you for protecting (her) child when (she) chose not to do so.
Actually, in thinking about it, she has to have spoken English, as she spent quite a while conversing with the sample lady who was clearly an English speaker. This is a major chain grocery store.

I'm slowly calming down, now. I really do hope that what I said may make a difference in the way this woman watches her child in the future.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whether she does it or not, you did her a big favor! I think some people just don't think!

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Regardless of what she does in the future, take great pride in knowing that you are a very responsible adult who watches out for those who can't do it themselves. Bravo for you!!!!!!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious, was her purse in the cart too? If she had it on her, it would indicate that she thought her purse needed more protecting than her son. I hope she learned something today.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

Just curious, was her purse in the cart too? If she had it on her, it would indicate that she thought her purse needed more protecting than her son. I hope she learned something today.
I was thinking the same thing...its awful how sometimes people/we place more importance on 'things' rather than on 'people'...or 'kitties' for that matter...

Hilda>^..^<

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betsy, I yelled at a guy once because he was holding his baby in the front seat while his wife was driving and the window was open...not that it matters, but it made it easy for me to yell at him and tell him to put the baby in the car seat where he belongs
I was shaking and called my DH crying, how can someone just treat a child like that, they are a gift from God...they would take more time making sure their groceries were just right in the car and their bread didn't get squished

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

There weren't even any groceries in the cart, just the child sitting in the front part of it. She carried her pocketbook on her shoulder. Priorities, I guess.
Grrrrrrr!

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few months ago there was a news story about a couple who left their children alone in the car while they went Christmas shopping. Someone saw the kids and immediately called the authorities, because it wasn't in a parking lot (not that that would be okay, but it's more common) -- it was on a busy street in downtown Toronto, in what wasn't the safest of neighbourhoods. The parents, when they were tracked down, were incredibly offended that their parenting skills were called into question, because it was perfectly normal to do that in (whatever country they were from -- I can't remember, but I think it was eastern European). It's shocking in a country like the US or Canada, where child abductions happen all the time and it seems like second nature to most of us to keep an eye on our kids (and our other valuables), but I guess if you come from a country where crime is less prevalent (or less hyped in the media), it can be easy to forget how dangerous it can be to leave your children unattended.

On the other hand, this woman could just be incredibly stupid. I'm not ruling that out. I would've said something, too. (And J did say something to the woman who left her child lying in the middle of the grocery store aisle having a temper tantrum -- anyone could've walked away with that kid, and because he was already having a hissy-fit, nobody would've noticed he wasn't with his parents.)

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I was shaking and called my DH crying, how can someone just treat a child like that, they are a gift from God...
Awww, honey...you're such a sweet person
God bless ya sweets

Hilda>^..^<

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you spoke your mind and told this woman what you thought and what could have happened. With all the things going on today and all the missing and abducted children, that someone could just wander away for that long is insane.

I do hope she took your words to heart and will be more careful in the future.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mirinae, I recall something similar to that story a few years back. A Dutch couple left their baby in a stroller out on the sidewalk in front of a New York cafe, and the same thing happened. They were reported, arrested, and they were shocked because this kind of thing is done all the time where they are from and no one ever steals children there, supposedly.

I forget what the end result was, but they'll never make that kind of an error in the USA again, that's for sure!

I mean, I can understand cultural differences, but please - these are CHILDREN we are talking about. Are they not valuable and deserve our FULL protection?

Oh my head... I'll get over this someday, LOL.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Seeing that sort of thing makes me angry, too. I occasionally see a parent walking several steps ahead of their child on a busy city street. It only takes a few seconds for a child to be snatched! Walking away from your child for five MINUTES is not right.

I'm really glad you said something!

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Mirinae, I recall something similar to that story a few years back. A Dutch couple left their baby in a stroller out on the sidewalk in front of a New York cafe, and the same thing happened. They were reported, arrested, and they were shocked because this kind of thing is done all the time where they are from and no one ever steals children there, supposedly.
Maybe this was the story I was thinking of, although I could've sworn it happened in Toronto and that it only just happened a few months ago ... *shrug* Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if it happened more than once, and in more than one major city ...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You were GREAT! What you said was PERFECT! I've done the same thing myself, except that I never have the nerve to speak up quite that clearly and forcefully. You're my hero!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it only takes a few seconds for something bad to happen.

About 15 years ago or so I stopped at a small restaurant grill for something to eat prior to a doctors appointment. There was a young girl, couldn't have been more than 19 at the most sitting at a booth with a very small infant.

I sat at a nearby table and was eating and reading when the baby started to fuss. I asked about him and how old he was and she said 3 weeks or something like that.

About 15 or 20 minutes later she approached me and asked if I would watch her baby for her while she went to the washroom.

I told her that it's not a good idea to ask a stranger, no matter how nice that person is to watch her baby because that person could run off with him. Then I told her that I would watch him for her, but to be careful asking people that in the future.

She was only gone less than 5 minutes and obviously I didn't run off with her baby, but I was horrified that she was so trusting with her baby.