Iams???

cosmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Due to the recent rat poison scare, I found out that IAMS is made by Menu Foods. Turns out that Menu Foods makes cat food for other brands too. Is it the same food? If so, why is IAMS more expensive? I feel like I've been paying for marketing.

Are the expensive brands any better than the cheaper brands?

What is the best food to feed my cats?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The ingrediants for every maker are different in this horrible case all the companies had a COMMON ingrediant as it looks to be Wheat gluten a thickening agent( it is NOT a Filler )for the gravey

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cosmo

I've been researching these issues to death....there is no definitive answer it appears.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cosmo

Due to the recent rat poison scare, I found out that IAMS is made by Menu Foods. Turns out that Menu Foods makes cat food for other brands too. Is it the same food? If so, why is IAMS more expensive? I feel like I've been paying for marketing.

IAMS is a pretty yucky food. There are much better ones to feed. But, I guess I can't give much of an opinion because I pay almost $30 for a 15 lb bag of food. I don't buy foods from Petco or Petsmart, because for the most p art they are crap. If your only option is one of the above, go with Natural Balance. No fillers or by products, and no wheat gluten. I buy from a local pet supply store who only sells super premium foods, nothing that you can fin din a grocery store, and only a few that you can find at petco/petsmart.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

IAMS is a pretty yucky food. There are much better ones to feed. But, I guess I can't give much of an opinion because I pay almost $30 for a 15 lb bag of food. I don't buy foods from Petco or Petsmart, because for the most p art they are crap. If your only option is one of the above, go with Natural Balance. No fillers or by products, and no wheat gluten. I buy from a local pet supply store who only sells super premium foods, nothing that you can fin din a grocery store, and only a few that you can find at petco/petsmart.
Petsmart DOESNt carry NB...

Good foods Avail at The Big P stores

nutro
natural balence
solid gold
royal canin
organix
by nature( like the wet )
blue spa

Are any perfect NO but all are good to very good IMHO
MOST foods dont have filler as that would be an indigestable ingrediant ...

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

Petco does carry Natural Balance, but sometimes the local stores have it for less.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have a petsmart nearby, but the only food I would feed to my animals that is available at our petco is NB or Nutro Ultra. I know petco has Solid Gold on their website and a few others, but my petco doesn't carry it. I do like NB though, and I would feed it if I didn't have other options.