Another pet food manufacturer bought the wheat gluten and they make wet & dry food!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to the FDA news conference this morning another pet food manufacturer, who makes both wet and dry food, purchased the poisoned wheat gluten from China. The FDA won't name the company, however, because they do not, at this time, have proof the wheat gluten was actually used in the food.

What!!!??? WHAT??!!!! A pet food company bought the wheat gluten months ago and the FDA doesn't think they used it for food? What do they think the company did with it then!!!!

And, much more importantly, why, WHY take the chance on yet more animals dying because the public has been told over and over that dry food products are safe??? Pull the stupid product!!

I am beside myself with upset!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree pull it ... I have never been so happy to have wheat allergies at home...

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need to make a change in dry food but I'm sticking with the stuff I have for now! A few more weeks of kitten food isn't going to make a difference at this point.

Hopefully the unnamed company will come forward shortly with details.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my god....

What in the heck are we supposed to feed our pets????? Are we just supposed to wait and see how many pets die from this other product before it's pulled too?

This whole situation is just beyond infuriating because they really don't seem to be taking it seriously!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's it. My kids are getting burgers and fries from now on!

OK, I'm totally kidding. I refuse to panic, I am staying status quo, and meanwhile my babies are still very healthy.

I am glad that they are starting to get to the bottom of things, and look forward to this being resolved soon.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's my big question...what do I feed my cats. I mean how can I trust any company at this point. This unnamed company should have been voluntarily coming forward when it realized that it had purchased potentially contaminated wheat gluten too!!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I guess the simple answer is look for foods with no wheat gluten at all, because that's the source of the problem, right? This is going to be a time for us to pay extra special attention to the ingredients list in our babies' foods. So maybe the productive thing for us to do is share the names of those foods that we use that have no wheat gluten in them at all.

For starters, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul does not contain wheat (or corn). You can find dealers in your area here. http://www.chickensoupforthepetlover...ealer_locator/

I know there are lots of other users who feed wheat/corn free foods, so please share!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a great idea, Sandtigress (and a wicked cool monicker, as well).

Anyone else have any wheat gluten-free foods to suggest?

lyric

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read that PETA reported that dogs and cats were becoming ill from dry food too and that the FDA discounted PETA's concerns.

Now I read that the FDA says that dry food possibly has been contaminated but we don't get anymore info than that.

I have also read from The Catsite postings that Natural Balance doesn't get any of their ingredients from China. I plan to contact them to verify.

I've always felt that the pet food industry needs to be regulated a lot more stringently especially after I read what all winds up in the boiled slop used for pet food at rendering plants.

lyric

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is veru allergic to wheat gluten so I have to feed her wheat free and wheat gluten free products. I do know that Wysong Vitalty Dry food (some of the other Wysong products list wheat or wheat gluten)doesn't use wheat gluten, at least it's not on the list of ingredients. Also, I feed her Natural Balance which I don't see wheat gluten or wheat in the list of ingredients.

Another dry food that doesn't list wheat or wheat gluten is Promise sold at Whole Foods.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

That's a great idea, Sandtigress (and a wicked cool monicker, as well).

Anyone else have any wheat gluten-free foods to suggest?
Natural balence ( though barley is used in the dog and is a relative of wheat( NOT gluten free but )

Solid gold ( see above

Chicken soup ( see above)

Wellness ( see above

Innova ( see above)

EVO

Natural instict

Core

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are many pet foods that do not contain wheat gluten. I feel confident that the Innova dry and the various canned foods I'm feeding are safe. Besides I don't care to feed plant based proteins to my cats anyway.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not surprised at this - I could not believe it was a one-off event. And I am sure other countries/manufacturers have bought it. For the moment I am sticking with Purina and Royal Canin, as made in Europe, but who knows?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Natural balence ( though barley is used in the dog and is a relative of wheat( NOT gluten free but )

Solid gold ( see above

Chicken soup ( see above)

Wellness ( see above

Innova ( see above)

EVO

Natural instict

Core
I just came back from the pet store with some new dry for Abby and found this. It looks like none that we have bought have wheat

California Natural chicken and brown rice
California natural herring and sweet potato (has barley)
Serengeti roast chicken with herbs

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't see wheat gluten on Felidae cat food either so it should not be that.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wheat is a potential allergen. It seems to me we should avoid it even if it's not being recalled. That's why I like Merrick canned. It's a meat and gravy food and they don't even use wheat gluten and they are not produced by Menu Foods.