U.S. test: Recalled pet food probe found chemical used to make plastics

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another chemical Melamime, which is commonly used to make plastics and fertilizers has been found in samples of the recalled pet foods. Here's a link to the article. This whole situation is getting more and more disturbing and scary to me. How do we ever feel confident with what we feed our most precious babies again!!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't find any info on side effects, I wish they would give a better explanation as to why this is important (besides just the fact that it's not supposed be there).

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know melamine as something used to make countertops, Ikea furniture and even mixing bowls. It's probably pretty common in many homes these days.

From the sounds of the early reports, it sounds like they're not sure melamine ingestion would cause these problems... maybe its presence there is coincidental.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now the FDA is stating that there were NO traces of rat poison found, just his "new" chemical.

WTH?!?!?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

I know melamine as something used to make countertops, Ikea furniture and even mixing bowls. It's probably pretty common in many homes these days.

From the sounds of the early reports, it sounds like they're not sure melamine ingestion would cause these problems... maybe its presence there is coincidental.
Also, plates/dinnerware, etc. It was very popular in the 50's, 60's and 70's; I believe (correct me if I'm wrong here) the plastic dishes nowadays may be melamine, also. Not sure if it's another type of plastic nowadays. (Can you believe my Mom STILL has a set of dishes from the late 60's made of it--complete with knife scratches, and stains. She won't throw them out! Thank God she made us use paper plates while growing up--the dishes are NASTY!)

MargeCat