Thermostats at work

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many of you work in a place where there is a lock box on the thermostat to control the heat/air?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

How many of you work in a place where there is a lock box on the thermostat to control the heat/air?
No lock box, but we do have the ability to turn it from hot to cold. The only issue with that is that 12 people can't agree on anything when it comes to temperature so I either sweat or freeze.

I've learned to pick my battles and dress accordingly.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't have them here, but we probably should. It's funny - in an office with mechanical engineers who design large, complex heating and air conditioning systems, those same guys have no clue how to work a basic programmable thermostat (that they specify on jobs all the time)! They can manage to freeze up the AC unit more than anyone else in the building.

At the last place where I worked, the tenant downstairs had a nasty habit of messing with the thermostat depending on how they felt at the moment. The HVAC repair man actually suggested putting in a fake box just so they could feel better pushing buttons.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even know where the T-stat is located where I work, but I work in the office that dispatches the service technicians, so I know who to talk to if I get too cold or hot!

At home, the tenant downstairs has control over the T-stat, but it really makes no difference what temperature she sets it at: it's always freezing in our upstairs apartment. I have learned to cope and now own two electric blankets, a small space heater, and a variety of very warm clothing. In the summer, it's not an issue as we don't have air conditioning (but I do have a window-mounted AC unit). Our house is not the least bit environmentally friendly. *sigh*

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have a lock box on ours, but it is always a battle at work..When you have 6-7 middle aged menapausal nurses working, and 1 secretary who sits at the desk the entire time complaining it is too cold for her to work, so she turns it up to 85 degrees everytime she is there, and if you try to change it because you are sweating buckets, she just turns it right back..It got soo bad that our boss had to get involved and told her to bring jackets etc..to keep herself warm and leave the thermostat alone...we keep it about 68-70 degrees in the unit...Then the secretary just got pissed off and spoke some foul words to all of us nurses
.....My theory is that I can't remove my clothing to cool off, but she can add more to keep her warm...
OK, enough of my soapbox on this matter...

4badcats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The air con is the BIGGEST source of argument in our office!!!! There are 38 of us in a huge open plan area, and nobody is EVER satisfied with the temperature!!! Being one of the Team Leaders I am usually in first - and as the office gets all hot and stuffy overnight I always open a couple of windows to let some fresh air in. After about an hour, there are usually a handful of folks complaining it is too draughty, so we shut the windows.

Then it gets too hot. So the air con goes on. It needs servicing desperately, and all it does is blow a gale through the office, regardless of the setting we put it on. So then it gets too cold, and we turn it off...............and after about half an hour it is too stuffy again..........so we open a window................

and the whole saga begins again...............

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that sounds like tons of fun!!

Originally Posted by 4BadCats

The air con is the BIGGEST source of argument in our office!!!! There are 38 of us in a huge open plan area, and nobody is EVER satisfied with the temperature!!! Being one of the Team Leaders I am usually in first - and as the office gets all hot and stuffy overnight I always open a couple of windows to let some fresh air in. After about an hour, there are usually a handful of folks complaining it is too draughty, so we shut the windows.

Then it gets too hot. So the air con goes on. It needs servicing desperately, and all it does is blow a gale through the office, regardless of the setting we put it on. So then it gets too cold, and we turn it off...............and after about half an hour it is too stuffy again..........so we open a window................

and the whole saga begins again...............

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Have no control over it whatsoever. It is a large corporate building that is kept at 70F year round. Which wouldn't be so bad but the drafts can be chilly. I ended up bringing in a space heater which isn't allowed, but until they take it away or fire me, I'm going to use. it.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are four of us at work. Me and one other guy are always hot and like to have it a nice cool temp. The other guy and girl are always freezing even when its hot and stuffy in there, so we go back and forth all day
They should just wear a sweater!

sprocket

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Commercial buildings are my husband's specialty. (HVAC Service) Especially air balancing, and keeping temperatures constant. There have been so many times when the engineer's/designer's of systems do NOT know what the fork they are doing, when designing commercial systems; it's like a joke to my husband. Time and time again my husband has had to modify/add to installed systems after the fact, because they just don't cool spaces like the engineers thought they would. The customer gets a low bid, and they go with that...and all types of corners are cut to get them that price. Often the system(s) installed are too small for the space they are trying to cool. In other words, the tonage of the system needs to be increased, or more AC's need to be installed. The engineers often don't take into account the heat generated by computer equipment into their calculations.

Someone mentioned icing up. If a system is consistenly icing up, and people who are servicing that system can not resolve the problem, believe you me, they don't know what they're doing lol!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I work outside most of the day and I have no control over the temp! Can do occasionally ask the man above if he'll hold off on the rain till I'm done.