Movies: What have you seen that you recommend?

sprocket

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just saw an India film today called THE NAMESAKE. It's not subtitled, but there is occasional dialog that is subtitled in english. It's based on a pulitzer prize winning book of the same name.

It was absolutely a wonderful film. It follows an couple over 30 years of their lives, from an arranged marriage to the bride relocating with her husband to New York.

Very thought provoking and touching film.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a big fan of most regular movie theatre movies, I tend to lean towards the foreign or indie films. But I haven't seen any of those lately. I did however see Because I Said So, Surrender Dorothy and The Family Stone. I LOVE Diane Keaton and I really recommend those movies. If you aren't a fan of hers, just see Because I Said So if you like a good chick flick. The Family Stone was also hilarious.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVED The Guardian,Nell,Flight Plan,Ladder 49 to name a few.We watch DVDS quite alot here.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Diane Keaton, too, and Something's Gotta Give is wonderful!

And I agree on The Prestige, too... saw it in the theater and was blown away. And it's always a pleasure to see Michael Caine.

Also watched As Good As It Gets again recently (I've been on a Nicholson binge), and it's easily in my top ten of all time.

Of current movies in the theater, I really liked Music & Lyrics! Very sweet, silly little picture, lightweight but lots of fun.

On the down side... I wish I hadn't wasted two hours of my life on Premonition. Very poor script, I thought... one of those where, in order to make it all tie up neatly at the end, the heroine had to suddenly turn into an idiot and do something incredibly stupid.

Back up again: Breach is just excellent! It's based on the true story of the most destructive spy in American history, an FBI agent who spied for the Soviets for 22 years. The agent is played by Chris Cooper, who is always mesmerizing to me. It's a very, very fine picture.

I hear there's another Die Hard sequel coming out soon! Can't wait!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you talking about movies to rent?? If so....I wont be of much help.

But as far as theater movies, I recently saw Wild Hogs and it was EXCELLENT!!
Also Norbit was funny as well.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Are you talking about movies to rent?? If so....I wont be of much help.

But as far as theater movies, I recently saw Wild Hogs and it was EXCELLENT!!
Also Norbit was funny as well.
Ok, in order from the last movie I've seen.....

Night at the Museum was alright. It was funny in parts and was generally interesting.

Rocky Balboa(sp??) ...Ah I love Rocky...what can I say...doesn't beat my fav...#4.

Wild Hogs is a MUST SEE!!!!!!! It was soooooo funny. I love it and will be buying it when it comes to dvd.

The Pursuit of Happiness- An amazing film. I love Will Smith...just what a story *sigh*

Charlottes Web - was a really great kids movie...I prefer the book

Blood Diamond - It was good. I really enjoyed it. I never new much about this topic, so it was really interesting.

The Illusionist - Is by far, my most favorite movie right now! It was soooo good. I fell in love with the story immediately.

The Prestige- HELLO -- Christian Bale is in this movie...what isn't to love

The Messenger- was ok, but wasn't as scarey as I thought it would be *shrugs*

Freedom Writers- I love this movie. It makes me cry everytime I see it (up to 4 times now) and worth the money!

Gridiron Gang I am a huge fan of "The Rock" and I really enjoyed this movie.

Step Up- One of my guilty pleasures

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh and Little Children! I highly recommend that one!

The Wicker Man
is EXCELLENT too! the newer one with Nicholas Cage

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ladder 49 is excellent,Interview with the Vampire, Flika, Cowboy up, 8 seconds, Bride and Prejudice,Sahara are all movies i would reccomend.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw Little Children and it was very good. I highly recommend it. I'd also recommend The Lives of Others and Pan's Labyrinth

As far as buying/renting, rent Jesus Camp, but it'll make you think or Shortbus, but that is REALLY NOT for the faint of heart, or those that have any possibility of young kids sneaking a peak. You can google it and read al about the scandals, but honestly, you get past that and the film is so intense and has so much heart and such a thought-provoking (and necessary!) message that I recommend it to anyone who can deal with how graphic it is. Like I said, though, not for those with children. It was made by the same guy who made Hedwig and the Angry Inch, which is also a great movie, but not as serious or risky/intense.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw Reign Over Me and that was really good. We also saw Premonition which was pretty good... on DVD I recommend the Persuit of Happyness which just came out, Ladder 49, I, Robot...just to name a few..

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sprocket

I just saw an India film today called THE NAMESAKE. It's not subtitled, but there is occasional dialog that is subtitled in english. It's based on a pulitzer prize winning book of the same name.

It was absolutely a wonderful film. It follows an couple over 30 years of their lives, from an arranged marriage to the bride relocating with her husband to New York.

Sounds like a great film. I'll Zip it so to speak. We belong to a mail delivery site for rentals called Zip.ca. I love this site as it has tons of foreign films and independants. You can read about the member reviews, etc. before you Zip it. I think this site is Canadian based. But they may have (or something similiar) in the US.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sprocket

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any movie. It doesn't have to be on DVD.

I also saw BREACH recently. Excellent.

Here is a review of the film, THE NAMESAKE, that started me thinking about a thread on movies.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just rented one a few nights ago (an oldie) called Young Abe Lincoln that was actually really good. John Ford directed and Henry Fonda was the star. If you're into old movies.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sprocket

I just read that book and loved it!!!

We just saw Shooter. I normally don't like action movies but this one was great!!!