My cat is a bad boy. Help!

hahahaeutorindo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi ,
my other kitten Mio (Mia's brother - I found both lost and took them home, but unfortunately she died) is becoming a very stressed boy. He is 2 weeks old and already bit the vet and snarls when I touch him if he's eating or playing with one of his fovourite toys! He also runs away if you try to get him for doing something wrong. I just wonder if he is going to behave badly when he is older.

Thanks!

This is just like him
:

helga06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you play with him when he's in this type of mood?

Also, do you encourage this by any chance by perhaps playing "rough" with him?

I'm not an expert at the way cats behave, but I have a cat who used to be like that; he was pretty wild and I didn't realize it at first, but I was encouraging his behavior by accepting it (meaning, not trying to calm him down), and by even encouraging it (by playing rough with him).

When your cat gets into this mood, try petting him softly. At first he will think you want to play and probably bite you. However, take your hand away before he has a chance to bite you or even touch you. Then, pet him again when he is not looking. Do this until he starts to purr. It is at this stage when my cat would put down his guard and then I could almost "push" him down gently and make him lie down. Then, I'd continue petting him until he was completely relaxed. I did this for a couple of weeks and slowly, my cat started being more passive. Also, I stopped playing rough with him, even though I always think cats looks SO cute when they are being aggressive.

Nowadays, this cat is stil VERY energetic but he's not at all aggressive; he's quite gentle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hahahaeutorindo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I don't get a lot of chances of making him lay down. He is VERY energetic lol. He has super-powered batteries and won't stop for a second. He usualy is agressive only when he is eating, sometimes when playing. I always think he is going to tear the toy-mouse apart.

bruce&sheila

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hahahaeutorindo

He is 2 weeks old... He also runs away if you try to get him for doing something wrong.
I'm not sure if I misread your post, but what do you mean about trying to 'get him for doing something wrong'?

I'm not surprised he runs away - I would think you'd have to think carefully before punishing a 2 week old kitten!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there, just read your intro - Mio looks a little sweetheart - but as I mentioned he is very young - at 2 wks to be away from is moma - did the vet say he was 2 wks old ? and what advice did they give you about his care, injections, nuetering, feeding, using a litter-box etc ?

Kitties are very lively as they are learning all the behaviours they will need when they are older, so Mio will look to you for guidance, but you have to be gentle with him
If he is naughty, just pick him up gently say 'no' and move him to another place.

Playtime is very important, so you will be busy, but it is great fun

Let us know how things are working out for you & your new fella Mio

kura

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you sure he's 2 weeks and not 2 months?
Oh and no they don't settle down. Mine youngest is now 9 months, I got her spayed when she was 3 months. She hasn't calmed down once. She bounces off the walls, climbs the windows and walls (don't ask how as not even I know how all I know is I see her on them) is trying to take Creeps place as the top cat and has the biggest mouth in the world.
I let her play with my foot as I have taught her how to play gently and nicely.

hahahaeutorindo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

Kitties are very lively as they are learning all the behaviours they will need when they are older, so Mio will look to you for guidance, but you have to be gentle with him
If he is naughty, just pick him up gently say 'no' and move him to another place.

Playtime is very important, so you will be busy, but it is great fun
I don't punish him, I just pick him up and put him somewhere else. I don't want him to go the the kitchen (because of the oven) but he is always tryng to go in there
and when I go to pick him up he runs back to the living room or to under the fridge
(gives me some work to get him out
). I play with him a lot of times during the day.

Ah, an other thing, his routine is: sleep, wake up, eat A LOT, play, sleep, ...
Is this healthy?

Thanks everyone!

claire1973

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is he 2 weeks old???

This is extremely young and I agree with the above posts, I think if he is only 2 weeks old he is craving his mother.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hahahaeutorindo

Ah, an other thing, his routine is: sleep, wake up, eat A LOT, play, sleep, ...
Is this healthy?
Yes that's normal kitten behaviour, but is he 2 weeks old or 2 months old?, because if he's only 2 weeks he needs special food because he should still be with his mum

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cant be 2 weeks old as they are only just trying to walk at this age , i think its safe to say his more 2 months old. and yes it sounds normal behaiver

hahahaeutorindo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found out he is a bit more or a bit less than one month old. I believe he is still very young. I feed him with Royal Canin - Baby Cat 34 and Whiskas. I believe it is healthy.
Now I addopted and other girl cat to play with him. She is 2 months old and twice his size lol, but they are very happy together!
The only problem is that they fould out that they can fit INSIDE the couch
and gives me a lot of work to put them back outside. ahaha

Cya!