Is there any food for cats that vomit?

ginava

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My little white cat Blanca has always vomited pretty often, sometimes hairballs and sometimes not. Is there any food that would minimize this? She is really healthy, as soon as she does it she wants more food!

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can try giving her the hairball solution cat food. Maybe that is what is causing her to vomit, even if it isn't always hairballs- this may help eliminate it some. Maybe you should see a vet about this and see what they have to say. I hope everything gets better. Good Luck!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are hairball foods out there, of a wide variety of brands. You can also get hairball treats & hairball paste. It also helps to brush regularly(daily or weekly). My tortie DSH gets brushed daily & get hairball meds daily to keep her hairballs down to a minimum.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Blanca continues to vomit even after you give her hairball remedies and comb her regularly, you should get her checked by the vet.

Vomiting is dehydrating, which you want to avoid. Frequent vomiting can also be an indication of serious health conditions.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KTLynn

If Blanca continues to vomit even after you give her hairball remedies and comb her regularly, you should get her checked by the vet.

Vomiting is dehydrating, which you want to avoid. Frequent vomiting can also be an indication of serious health conditions.

vomitting isnt always a hairball

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if she has a food allergy, even a mild one could make her vomit.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she eat really fast? Is the stuff she vomits up whole or digested? If it's mostly whole, she may be just eating too quickly. Sometimes placing the bowl on a phone book will help. Spreading the food out on a flat surface or putting a golf or tennis ball in the bowl will also force her to slow down.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Does she eat really fast? Is the stuff she vomits up whole or digested? If it's mostly whole, she may be just eating too quickly. Sometimes placing the bowl on a phone book will help. Spreading the food out on a flat surface or putting a golf or tennis ball in the bowl will also force her to slow down.

Sometimes it's not the food, it's that they're eating too fast. I've found that I have to give smaller portions more often and keep Bella's bowl elevated or else she will vomit minutes after she eats. Then she immediately wants to eat again. Now, I'm getting really gross here, but sometimes there's hair in it, but most of the time it comes out exactly as it went in.

Slowing her down is the only thing that's worked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ginava

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thats exactly what happens! It comes up whole! (She also does vomit up big hairballs, and she wont take the laxatone at all, even tho my other cat loves it. She sheds like crazee, and she isnt even a long haired cat.) I will try spreading it out, they already have elevated bowls now.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A good hairball remedy to try is Vetbasis. It's healthier than Laxatone because it doesn't contain petroleum.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KTLynn

A good hairball remedy to try is Vetbasis. It's healthier than Laxatone because it doesn't contain petroleum.
it must also be gentlier since my 18 yr old can use it