Nettles Hurt!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbour offered to take me round her garden and give me some roots and cuttings of some of her plants as I am getting to the stage of thinking about planting at least something in part of my garden and she wanted to thin things out. We were forking up a shrub (cotoneaster for the horticulturally minded) and she said to me to grasp it from the other side and pull gently. I did so, but couldn't see what I was holding and there was a large nettle right by the plant, which I had firmly in my grip! My hand really hurts now - the nettle got me on the palm and every finger, and it is very swollen. I have tried all the usual remedies, including dock leaves and have taken some antihistamine, but I guess it was just too much. At least I have a whole wheelbarrow of good things to plant tomorrow.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oooo, nettle stings are awful
years ago we used to use calamine (sp?) lotion, that seemed to do the trick, but not so sure if its still on sale ?

Hope it goes soon !

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we use calamine loction for a lot of things including nettle stings. we also use something called pryitin ( not spelt right sorry) thats for reactions of things.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ouch, nettles taste great but really hurt.
I'll always remember my mom's aunt, whose palms were so hardened she could just pull nettles off the ground without feeling a thing.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, I have only ever read about nettles in books. Do we have them in the USA?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any mullein leaves to rub on them?? I think rubbing makes it worse though. I have a big patch of them growing by my compost bins-I leave them though as they are a good nectar source for butterflies. (Yes they grow in US)
Have fun planting (wear gloves!!)

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, we have nettles in the US

I used to be immune to them as a kid, so much running around playing, my bare legs probably brushed against every nettle in the area

I remember getting whacked across the face with one though, OW.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

My neighbour offered to take me round her garden and give me some roots and cuttings of some of her plants as I am getting to the stage of thinking about planting at least something in part of my garden and she wanted to thin things out. We were forking up a shrub (cotoneaster for the horticulturally minded) and she said to me to grasp it from the other side and pull gently. I did so, but couldn't see what I was holding and there was a large nettle right by the plant, which I had firmly in my grip! My hand really hurts now - the nettle got me on the palm and every finger, and it is very swollen. I have tried all the usual remedies, including dock leaves and have taken some antihistamine, but I guess it was just too much. At least I have a whole wheelbarrow of good things to plant tomorrow.
Awww....I know how you feel. I walked into one with pants on and I could feel it through my pants. It hurt like heck. I could imagine how much more it would hurt against bare skin. Hope it heals soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It feels much better this morning. But I can't do my planting today as we have two inches of snow.