Another chin acne thread!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a picture of Persi's and Alley's dining room. I use a metal tray that is large enough to allow them to eat together, which they always do.

Prior to this, I had lined the tray with this plastic liner:

I removed this liner after reading several threads here about plastic causing chin acne in cats. So now the thing I am worried about is that there is a painting on the metal tray which you can see under the food. Are my cats in danger because of this paint? Do I need to find a plain tray with no paint? The tray is metal, not plastic. Thanks for any input.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not feed them out of that tray. I don't think that is meant for food stuffs. I would put down either a straw or cloth table setting and use ceramic, or glass dishes. If you want all the food in one dish as big as the tray, use an oblong baking dish that you make lasagne in. You can buy very inexpensive glass bakeware at a yard sale or a thrift shop. I think the paint and the metal could have residual toxins, I wouldn't take the chance.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'd go with a big glass pyrex or something if you really prefer to feed them that way

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I would not feed them out of that tray. I don't think that is meant for food stuffs. I would put down either a straw or cloth table setting and use ceramic, or glass dishes. If you want all the food in one dish as big as the tray, use an oblong baking dish that you make lasagne in. You can buy very inexpensive glass bakeware at a yard sale or a thrift shop. I think the paint and the metal could have residual toxins, I wouldn't take the chance.
I will take your suggestion and use a lasagne dish as you suggest. Yes, I really do want to feed them this way because they are just so darned cute when they are in that little alcove that I call their dining room eating together. And they do always eat together so that is why I have been using a tray. But no more. Here is what I mean:

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
if you're having acne problems, it was probably the plastic liner... but i agree with the previous posts. i buy 'people' dishes for my kitties, just to be on the safe side. you could probably find a dish with a similar shape in ceramic - i found some really cute square 'bowls' this past week at Target that all 4 of mine got. you can see something kind of like them here. just look around at places like Target & Walmart. if you can't find anything, get a pyrex or metal loaf pan. but i think the lower edges can help prevent the acne, too, especially if you don't wash or change the dish daily.
look at these that i found online at Target...
white oval retro bowl
khaki platter

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I love the chintz swirl sushi serving

say that 4 times after a scotch
that would be hard! i couldn't find pix of the ones i actually got, but they were shaped like those, but all white.