lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know where they got the idea of peppers from - that is not traditional at all! And turkey sausages would be far too dry - they need to be made from juicy pork sausages. Prick the sausages with a fork to stop them exploding in the pan ( that is why they are called 'bangers') and fry them with some sliced onions very slowly so the onions caramelise. When the sausages are done, remove them from the pan and make some onion gravy with some thickening and some stock. Serve with home made, slightly lumpy mashed potatoes, with the gravy on top. I am not sure about using andouille - I don't like it personally as it is made from tripe, but it too might be a bit dry.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

I don't know where they got the idea of peppers from - that is not traditional at all! And turkey sausages would be far too dry - they need to be made from juicy pork sausages. Prick the sausages with a fork to stop them exploding in the pan ( that is why they are called 'bangers') and fry them with some sliced onions very slowly so the onions caramelise. When the sausages are done, remove them from the pan and make some onion gravy with some thickening and some stock. Serve with home made, slightly lumpy mashed potatoes, with the gravy on top. I am not sure about using andouille - I don't like it personally as it is made from tripe, but it too might be a bit dry.
this is what i call bangers and mash
i to havnt heard of the peppers and nothing beats a pork sausage
. and iv never heard of andouille lol

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
peppers - eek - no, sorry you dont have peppers with bangers 'n' mash
and what was that alternative they came up with, no wonder they said it tasted awful, you see, you cant mess with traditional dishes
whatever country they are from

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

and what was that alternative they came up with, no wonder they said it tasted awful, you see, you cant mess with traditional dishes
I agree 200%. If it ain't broke - don't fix it! I come back to my old argument when it comes to all these calorie reduced, "healthier" versions of foods, that if we eat regular, REAL food (not from pre-packaged pouches) in moderation and a variety of food groups, we don't need to be as concerned about changing all those wonderful tried and true old recipes.

If it isn't pork then to me it's not a sausage.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

Originally Posted by Yosemite

I agree 200%. If it ain't broke - don't fix it! I come back to my old argument when it comes to all these calorie reduced, "healthier" versions of foods, that if we eat regular, REAL food (not from pre-packaged pouches) in moderation and a variety of food groups, we don't need to be as concerned about changing all those wonderful tried and true old recipes.

If it isn't pork then to me it's not a sausage.
Absolutely!

More helpful than cutting out certain foods is cutting down the quantity we eat, and not wolfing it. The more slowly we eat, the more likely that the body will know it is full before we have over-eaten.

Gimme the real stuff, thanks!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

they need to be made from juicy pork sausages. Prick the sausages with a fork to stop them exploding in the pan ( that is why they are called 'bangers') and fry them with some sliced onions very slowly so the onions caramelise. When the sausages are done, remove them from the pan and make some onion gravy with some thickening and some stock. Serve with home made, slightly lumpy mashed potatoes, with the gravy on top. .
Done just like i do mine Jenny!
Oh remember the bangers and mash i had when we had the UK meetup?, those sausages were lovely and fat

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peppers in bangers and mash! Hahahahahahahahahahaha

And turkey sausages - oh my!

Bangers and mash is very simple. Pork sausages, whatever type you prefer (Lincolnshire, Cumberland etc.). And mashed potato. It is good with onion gravy. But trust me on this I do not see how peppers manage to sneak their way into bangers and mash.

Now Sausage casserole is fine with peppers in if that is your preference, I used to make one with red and green peppers, onion, and tomatoes, but that isn't bangers and mash.