Why do stores...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have 30 cash registers, and only employ three people to work on them at a time?

Lookingglass has another thread going about the post office that made me think about another pet peeve of mine.

Why go to all the expense of putting in all those counters with all those registers when the company never, ever, not even at Christmastime, staffs them so that there aren't more than, oh, say five people in any one given line waiting to check out?

Instead, we see wasted resources that could have paid for additional staff, and less than 30 percent of the registers are utilized. And there are long, long lines of grumpy customers waiting, standing and waiting to finally get to the front where a cashier with an attitude refuses to look you in the eye as they scan your items and take your money.

I just don't understand the thinking behind this.

Once upon a time there was a store chain, that has since gone out of business, I think it was Zayre's, and they had a slogan that stated that if there were more than three people in line they would open up a new register. And they did! Gosh, I miss that kind of customer service!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
me too! I hate that! I don't mind waiting a bit.... but jeez! Another thing, why put new people to start & train on a Sat or Sun, the busiest shopping days of the week? Only to annoy customers trying to cram a week worth of stuff into a 2 day weekend.....

My grocery store is slammed every weekend.....they have the best prices around, so people drive 20 minutes to get to it....and they put brand new cashiers on a Saturday, the lines are 10 ppl deep, and this girl doesn't know how to ring the coupon.... I feel like saying "move over, lemme do it"

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel the same way about handicapped parking spots, which is ironic seeing as I utilize them. But I mean c'mon, our local walmart has about 20. It's not like we're all traveling in a convoy to get there at once

One of my favorites jokes goes:

Why are there so many handicapped parking spaces at Home Depot? If you could lay down flooring and hang drywall, you can walk the extra 30 feet to the door.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Lowe's in my area has the 3 customer and they open a new line. The are pretty good about doing it too. Kmart in my area is the worlds worst. I hate it too!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One big pet peeve of mine is when the cashier rings you up and starts ringing the next person before giving you a chance to put yoru change/credit card etc back into your wallet, gather your purchases etc! I mean, for cryin out loud, GIVE ME A SECOND, WILL YA??????????

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One grocery store I frequent has parking for expectant moms-who about for people who are on their lunch??? On the other hand this store is really good about opening more checkout lanes.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you sound like you were at walmart.
our walmart is really bad about that.

i worked at target for about a year. their policy is no more than 3 people waiting. but it also kind of depends on the store manager too. the store i worked at was repeatedly ranked best in the district. our super target here isn't always as good. but generally has more cashiers than walmart on any day.

One big pet peeve of mine is when the cashier rings you up and starts ringing the next person before giving you a chance to put yoru change/credit card etc back into your wallet, gather your purchases etc! I mean, for cryin out loud, GIVE ME A SECOND, WILL YA??????????
me too!

another peeve: at target they always want me to run my card while they are ringing everything up. but 99% of the time i do that, they forget to enter my coupons! one weekend the girl voided, rerang & added my coupons. she swore i wouldn't get double charged. but there it was in my account. luckily things are not tight like they were 5 yrs ago, so i could wait until the credit was put back in. but i wondered about the people less fortunate than me.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Oh man, that gets me every time!!!!!!!!!!!

But I think what's worse is the second part of this...when you're the next person in line and the cashier is ALREADY checking your stuff and you're not at the register yet! I like being able to see what they're ringing up and check the prices on their display thingy...this is annoying! especially since we have to load our groceries onto the conveyer belt thingy...they should wait for the customer to be done with their 'job' before they start checking stuff.

Hilda>^..^<

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those other 27 registers are for the holiday season, Christmas and that is about it.

That is why I like to shop late at night where there is almost no one especially Costco. I hate waiting....

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I refuse to shop at a store that makes me wait. The Target near us is wonderful, but Walmart FOR GET IT! Whole Foods gets us in and out. I'm willing to pay more money for something if you can respect my time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Yeah, what's UP with that?!? I waited 20 minutes to GET here, give me a freaking second to stow my receipt before you shove me out the door!

I'm always apologizing at the grocery store as I'm fumbling to stow my receipt and meanwhile the next person's items are literally rolling into the bags holding MY stuff! And there I am apologizing, like it's MY fault I'm in the way!

Oooo, now I'm even more ticked, LOL!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by watchcaddy

Those other 27 registers are for the holiday season, Christmas and that is about it.
Then why don't they USE them? At Xmas, I was in line at several stores that again, had HUGE lines of customers backed up and less than 50% of the registers were open!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I shop in K-Mart quite a bit(litter, toys, food, etc). This is going to sound awful, but they're emmployees aren't the smartest. The one man is the nicest person, I always go to his check-out line. But, he cannot for the life of him ring up a coupon correctly!
He has to call the manager or someone every time to ring up a coupon because he can't seem to.

I was in Hy-Vee today & I wrote a check. They needed my DL # & then needed another form of ID. There were people lining up behind me, so someone opened up another register right next to the one I was in ASAP after they saw me slowing everyone down.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to shop at Meijers, but they never seem to open enough registers either. Then, when the lines are long, some store manager will suggest using the U-Scan, where you scan your own merchandise, bag your own stuff, put your money in a machine, and get your receipt. :censor::censor::censor:!!! Part of the obscenely high price I pay for my groceries goes to pay the cashier to do that job! Sorry, but if I have to use a U-Scan...then I want a discount on my purchases, cuz I'm doing their job. Sorry....end of rant!

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, you guys are gonna hate me, but I hardly ever have to wait, especially at grocery stores. I kind of wish it would take a little longer so I could check out Brad's latest antics in one of the trashy magazines at the checkout counter.

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Then why don't they USE them? At Xmas, I was in line at several stores that again, had HUGE lines of customers backed up and less than 50% of the registers were open!
haha, now they are just being cheap and don't want to hire people. Or just want to piss people off.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Yeah, what's UP with that?!? I waited 20 minutes to GET here, give me a freaking second to stow my receipt before you shove me out the door!

I'm always apologizing at the grocery store as I'm fumbling to stow my receipt and meanwhile the next person's items are literally rolling into the bags holding MY stuff! And there I am apologizing, like it's MY fault I'm in the way!

Oooo, now I'm even more ticked, LOL!
Calm down Betsy...........

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snuzy

Ok, you guys are gonna hate me, but I hardly ever have to wait, especially at grocery stores. I kind of wish it would take a little longer so I could check out Brad's latest antics in one of the trashy magazines at the checkout counter.

Take THAT!