My cat has something wrong with his eye!!!!

helga06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

One of my cats has this "opaque" cloudy matter in his right eye. Online, I was researching this kind of symptom and I found an article talking about "feline Uveitis"...I wanted to know if anyone has experience with this.

Also, what is the cause? Could I have done this to my cat? I ask because a couple of days ago, I was cleaning his eyes. I usually do that, but maybe I rubbed too hard or infected him with my hands, is that possible???

Can someone please tell me I didn't do this to my cat??

I feel sick.

My brother's going to take him to the vet later today but I want to know what's wrong with him NOW.

I hope he's alright.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my I am sorry, it is a worry when things arent normal as they should be. Please dont blame yourself, I am sure its nothing you have done

The best thing is to let the vet see it - they will now for sure what it is
it wont be long before your brother can get the answers you are looking for

Sending positive healthy vibes - keep us posted

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mooficat is right...call the vet.

I haven't read up on feline uveitis, but in humans the cause is often unknown. It is painful, though...so do get kitty checked out.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad your getting the kitty to the vet. I had a kitty this happened too. We don't know how it happened, but he was fine in the morning and when I got home from work his eye was cloudy. The emergency vet thought he most likely ran into something while playing, like the corner of the chair or cat tree. He thought it was a blunt hit to the face, not an actual "poke" in the eye.

The good news is, that it is easily treatable, ( well maybe not getting the medicine int he eye is easy
) but nothing drastic. My kitty recouperated within a couple days with no permanent problems.

Let us know how the vet visti went, will be sending good vibes your way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helga06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymonsters

I am glad your getting the kitty to the vet. I had a kitty this happened too. We don't know how it happened, but he was fine in the morning and when I got home from work his eye was cloudy. The emergency vet thought he most likely ran into something while playing, like the corner of the chair or cat tree. He thought it was a blunt hit to the face, not an actual "poke" in the eye.

The good news is, that it is easily treatable, ( well maybe not getting the medicine int he eye is easy
) but nothing drastic. My kitty recouperated within a couple days with no permanent problems.

Really?? Well, I'm still stuck at work but my brother took him to the vet a while ago; he'd taken him sooner but he was at college. We'll see what happens with the little guy. Hopefully, he'll be alright.

I hope this is something treatable like it was with your cat.

I
that kitty too much to have anything happen to him...

helga06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, my kitty was on his way back to the house from the vet when I called my brother a few minutes ago. Basically, the results of his exams were inconclusive. This is why I hate the vets. In my mind, I always think of the doctors that work there as these all-knowing, all-seeing people, but really, a lot of the times, they have no clue about what is going on. Or, the best they offer you are guesses.

What they said was that it was "probably" a side-effect of the flu, because a lot of my cats had the flu. Problem is that THIS particular cat NEVER had the flu, so how can that be a side-effect of the flu? Of course, my brother didn't remember this important fact and didn't bring it up to the vet. So, it was like a waste of time going to the vet.

I'm so pissed, and venting right now so excuse my tone.... I hate taking my cats to the vet because they hate it so much. Right now, you could hear my cat on the other side of the cell phone howling. He HATES being in the car. Urghhhhhhhhhh.... I feel worse now, like I put him through torture for nothing.

helga06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my I am sorry, it is a worry when things arent normal as they should be. Please dont blame yourself, I am sure its nothing you have done

The best thing is to let the vet see it - they will now for sure what it is it wont be long before your brother can get the answers you are looking for

Sending positive healthy vibes - keep us posted
Mooficat is right...call the vet.

I haven't read up on feline uveitis, but in humans the cause is often unknown. It is painful, though...so do get kitty checked out.
Originally Posted by Sicycat

I'm sure he'll be ok
Thank you all.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand how you feel. I hate when there is something wrong with my cats and the vet cant figure it out. It's incredibly frustrating. I went through this with Saki last year who was vomiting for almost 3 months for no apparent reason. He's fine now but they still dont know why, and had to go through all kinds of tests and trial and errors. It wasnt fun.

Maybe you can call the vet and speak to them about it and mention what you wanted to mention. Did they give you antibiotics or eye cream or anything like that?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

Maybe you can call the vet and speak to them about it and mention what you wanted to mention. Did they give you antibiotics or eye cream or anything like that?
just checking back in on this..........I think the above is a good idea, have a chat with the vet , I am sure they'll understand, and ask what will happen, will it heal by itself, or what, why no meds ? You might feel better about it just to get the clarification from the vet

helga06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We did get meds, three of them. Two to be administered orally and one for the eye. I'm a little bit worried about the eye solution because it had a very strange and noticeable side effect on my cat; it made her immediately start to salivate!

Anyways, I'm been pampering the love of my life since he returned from the vet. I may be giving him TOO much love in fact since I'm feeding him his favorite foods every chance I get. My sister is already teasing him saying he's turning into a fat cat! lol.

He's been inside the home since yesterday, taking over the master bed in my room. lol. I'm treating him completely like a king, feeding him great meals, being with him almost all day, making sure the house is quiet when he's asleep, dimming the lights after we give him his eye solution, and petting him like crazy!!!

I hope he gets better. I really do. I can't stand the pain in my heart when he's sick. It *really* hurts; he's all I've been thinking about for the past 2 days...

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well hopefully those meds will sort the problem out

sounds like your baby is getting lots of TLC and I am sure that will make him feel extra special

give him some tummy rubs from me

dolphingrrl23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you sure your cat doesn't have cataracts? My cat had major cataracts and her eyes were super cloudy but it didn't seem to bother her much. She still got around fine even though practically her entire eye was cloudy.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oh... my baby girl is sick right now too and I pamper her ridiculously...

call the vet about those eyedrops, that sounds like a scary side effect and not normal I wouldn't think. if it were me I wouldn't give them to my kitty anymore... see if the vet has a comparable drug you could give in its place.

minesbarbara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
did u take your cat to the vet about the catorah cause all of a sudden my cat whom isnt even a year old yet has her left eye cloudy and really bulging but it doesnt seem to b bothering her at all. so im not sure if i should spend the $ at the vet whos probally just gonna take a guess 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
did u take your cat to the vet about the catorah cause all of a sudden my cat whom isnt even a year old yet has her left eye cloudy and really bulging but it doesnt seem to b bothering her at all. so im not sure if i should spend the $ at the vet whos probally just gonna take a guess 
This thread is 5 years old, so I doubt you will get any answer from previous posters. It sounds to me as if your cat needs a vet as it does not sound normal and cats hide pain really well.

nazo3515

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Same thing happened to my kitty. But when we went to the vet they didn't know anything! All that money for nothing. So how did you treat the eye?

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Nazo.

It is good that you quoted me as I have not been active on this board for a good many years.

If your kitty suddenly developed a cloudy eye it is an emergency.   blunt trauma to the eye causes swelling which causes protein build up  which makes the eye cloudy.    Your kitty can lose his eye if this swelling is not treated ASAP.    My kitty had this many many years ago,  the early 1990s  and he is long gone to the rainbow bridge now.    So,  what they use to treat now may be very different than what they used then.

At the time I was going to the university of Minnesota vet school hospital for my kitties   and they treated his eye with opthamalic antibiotic ointment to prevent infection   and steroid drops to get the selling down.   the steroid drops are the most important.

There are many other causes of cloudy eyes,  but this was the treatment for blunt force uveitis.     You need to make sure he does not have a herptic ulcer because the treatment is different.

Uveitis is not painful.  His eye was not watering and it was not bothering him.   Herpes eye ulcers are very painful and the kitty will squint and have lots of tearing.

I am pretty disturbed by the fact that anyone who has graduated vet school did not know what was wrong with your kitty.   You need to get him to another vet ASAP.

good luck and I hope your furbaby is on the mend soon.