Litter Tracking

java

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a covered litter box and use Fresh Step Scoopable litter with odor eliminating carbon. I thought the covered litter box would reduce the amount of litter that escapes the box, but I'm having to mop my floor daily! Is there any way to reduce tracking? I'm not sure if this type of litter is sticking to my cat, but not only is it all over my kitchen floor (where Java demands to have the litter box) but it is all over the kitchen counter where he jumps up constantly, which grosses me out.
I was looking into litter mats. Are there any particular brands or types that have worked well for you?

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the same type of kitty litter that you use and my cat LOVES IT! He doesn't necessarily track all over the house, but only in the bathroom where the kitty litter box is. I put a towl down under his box to sort of eliminate the mess, but I see he keeps pushing it up and out of his way. Guess he doesn't like that? I am also looking into just getting him a mat to put down- that he will like- so i'm going to keep watching this thread for new ideas!

cessena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a plastic litter mat, it was like strips of white plastic right next to eachother with a little space in between (sortof like what a lawn chair might be made out of but smaller) I forget the brand. It helped a little in collecting the litter that fell and keeping it from getting everywhere. My cats wont use most of the plastic mats they jump over them which makes an even BIGGER mess.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Java

I have a covered litter box and use Fresh Step Scoopable litter with odor eliminating carbon. I thought the covered litter box would reduce the amount of litter that escapes the box, but I'm having to mop my floor daily! Is there any way to reduce tracking? I'm not sure if this type of litter is sticking to my cat, but not only is it all over my kitchen floor (where Java demands to have the litter box) but it is all over the kitchen counter where he jumps up constantly, which grosses me out.
I was looking into litter mats. Are there any particular brands or types that have worked well for you?
Hello PLANO PERSON. Here is a picture of what works for me in Plano. I keep a carpeted scratching post right at the exit of the litter box. (that is their blue litter box on the right.) When the cats use the litter box, the scratching post is right there so they always use it. This wipes their feet clear of litter. Even their back feet because of the carpet base of the scratching post.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry no suggestions here. I sweep the bathrooms and vacuum the carpets every single day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

java

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't even thought of placing a scratching post near there. I'll have to brainstorm a little bit more from that perspective. My apartment's kitchen is pretty small and his litter box already makes it pretty inconvenient to navigate.

Are notes the same thing as private messages? If so, it's odd that nothing is in my inbox. If not, how do I check it?

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Java

I haven't even thought of placing a scratching post near there. I'll have to brainstorm a little bit more from that perspective. My apartment's kitchen is pretty small and his litter box already makes it pretty inconvenient to navigate.

Are notes the same thing as private messages? If so, it's odd that nothing is in my inbox. If not, how do I check it?
Sorry I don't know what notes are. You will get a pop-up message on your screen if you've received a private message. You can get to your inbox by clicking on the link "Private Messages" near the top right corner of the screen.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

I love Persi in that picture.
That little ball of fluff is attacking that post for all he's worth, isn't he?! Great idea though- if I had a spot for a scratching post in my bathroom I'd definitely try it out.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also use Fresh Step scoopable. It does track like crazy. My solution was to move the litterpan to the bottom of basement stairs. The pan is on newspaper and a carpet remnent -- plus the stairs of our unfinished basement are carpeting -- so by the time he makes it back up, his feet are pretty clean. The solution to me is to put the box in a place where the cat has to walk on as much carpet as possible before getting to the main area of your home. I have never heard of a scoopable litter that doesn't track so I wouldn't bother changing. I surely don't miss litter on my beautiful hardwood floors and was really concerned about scratching and wearing on my floors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

java

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish I had the luxury of all that space you seem to be enjoying!
I live in a small studio apartment, so pretty much every space is my main living space.
I don't know what the difference is, but he seems to be better about not tracking as much. Perhaps after all that crazy digging he's been doing, he realized there's really nothing -that- interesting at the bottom of the litter pan. I'm still going to buy a mat the next time I stop by the pet store to take care of the little he still manages to track.