It's too early in the morning for a nervous breakdown...

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like I'm going to lose it this morning. First off, I get up and I have a splitting headache/migrane/neck strain thing all rolled into one that I get from time to time. I was up too late last night. Then I remember, Yay, it's Thursday, I get paid. Because I've been on disability from work I've been having some issues with my pay, and thought I got it straightened out but was anxious to just make sure. Last week was fine, hopefully this week was.

Needless to say I got shorted HALF my paycheck. I called work and talked to the clerk, who I'm really getting sick of because she makes me feel like I'm an idiot lately and I say "They screwed up again". She replies with a "No they didn't, you're on half pay" in a tone of voice like I should automatically already know that.

Apparently, and I know I was told this is the case when you're on disability, but I forgot and they never told me WHEN it was going to happen, but eventually after you've been out for a certain amount of time, you no longer get full pay benefits, only half. I'm not mad at either my employer or MetLife or whoever decides that, because it makes sense if you've been out for a super long time like I have, I'm mad because no one told me that "Ok this is the week that you'll go to half pay".

I feel terrible, this is all my fault. Yes I'm out for a legitimate reason, and I have to get better, but it's still my fault. I feel like I should just go back to work full time on April 9th, that's when I'm currently approved up to for benefits, any longer and I have to get an extension, cut my O.T. down to one day a week instead of two, and just deal with any problems I still have.

My only other option is I can go back to work part time, but get full pay through disability, but that has to be approved, and as far as I know it's a really short time period. After that I'd be back to half pay again.

So I don't know what to do. I'm tired of the problems I'm having and I want to get a reasonable amount of relief before I go back to normal but at the same time, I can't do this financially or mentally. We can pay our bills, but our savings each week wouldn't really exist because my half pay is really low and mentally I just can't take knowing I'm doing anything to put our finances in any sort of trouble. Plus, I just can't take my job anyway, and this just adds to the stress.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my, I dont know what to say
think you need to blow some raspberries at the
system
might make you feel a little better
Hang on in there bud !

forever_urs8019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
was i correct in hearing that you work at metlife? like the insurance place? if so i feel very sorry for you
metlife has some pretty messed up people.

my best of luck to you, i know how it is to be on the lowest of low.. sucks.. but something will happen if u keep ur head high and strong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by forever_urs8019

was i correct in hearing that you work at metlife? like the insurance place? if so i feel very sorry for you
metlife has some pretty messed up people.

my best of luck to you, i know how it is to be on the lowest of low.. sucks.. but something will happen if u keep ur head high and strong.
No, MetLife is the insurance company authorizing my pay benefits...actually the name will probably be blocked by a mod.

forever_urs8019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ah i see. well i hear you EVEN MORE when they stress you out. we used to have all their insurance untill father got a job and got new insurance, then we still had them for our cars.. so so stupid.. but eh.. you live with what you got... *sigh*

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry man, its never easy dealing with stuff like that.
do you feel like you are able to go back yet? at leats giving it a shot?

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. Maybe you could look into going back to work part-time and see how long you could get your full pay through disability? Then maybe when the time is up for getting full pay you can see if you're ready to work full-time? Just an idea. I hope you can figure something out that works for you.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by forever_urs8019

ah i see. well i hear you EVEN MORE when they stress you out. we used to have all their insurance untill father got a job and got new insurance, then we still had them for our cars.. so so stupid.. but eh.. you live with what you got... *sigh*
Well it's my job that's only giving me half pay and I believe will ultimately decide if I go back part time, how long I get paid for full.

I'd love to do graphic design but I have no training in it and all I have experience with is my website and TCS sigs *lol*

theimp98 - I don't know if I'm able to go back yet. I still have pain in my hands every day which is slow healing because of my crutch use. The volume of work I have to do when I go back might be too much for me right now because even if I go back part time, I still have to type constantly for about 2 hours before my break. Our call volume is so high I don't even have 3 seconds to rest my hands between calls. So I feel like I need to have a really good feeling that I'm getting better or else going back isn't going to do me any good.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you seem to be having such a hard time- I'm going through my own financial problems so whilst I can empathise I'm sure they are nothing compared to what you must be going through. The important thing is to stay focused and be realistic about when you are ready to go back to work.
Am sending good vibes- hang in there buddy

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

Sorry you seem to be having such a hard time- I'm going through my own financial problems so whilst I can empathise I'm sure they are nothing compared to what you must be going through. The important thing is to stay focused and be realistic about when you are ready to go back to work.
Am sending good vibes- hang in there buddy
Thanks man

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really feel for you. My husband has been out of work since January when a fire closed down his cooking school. The insurance company denied an advance to keep things going and things are getting a little desparate for him They haven't even started construction yet so he doesn't know what to do. I watched him break down a little the other night. I myself had to shut my office door for a bit of a cry this morning when a $600 car repair bill was announced to me. I can understand the stress and the uncertainty of what to do. Lots of vibes coming your way that everything will turn out alright.

Tricia

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

Well it's my job that's only giving me half pay and I believe will ultimately decide if I go back part time, how long I get paid for full.

I'd love to do graphic design but I have no training in it and all I have experience with is my website and TCS sigs *lol*

theimp98 - I don't know if I'm able to go back yet. I still have pain in my hands every day which is slow healing because of my crutch use. The volume of work I have to do when I go back might be too much for me right now because even if I go back part time, I still have to type constantly for about 2 hours before my break. Our call volume is so high I don't even have 3 seconds to rest my hands between calls. So I feel like I need to have a really good feeling that I'm getting better or else going back isn't going to do me any good.
You really are in a tough place. Sounds like if you go back to your job you will do more harm than good. What about looking for a Part time job elsewhere?

I agree with you about graphic design. I was really into it a few years back. Now I get migraines when I do detail work. Why wasn't that IN when I was at college! I wish you luck.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazyforinfo

You really are in a tough place. Sounds like if you go back to your job you will do more harm than good. What about looking for a Part time job elsewhere?

I agree with you about graphic design. I was really into it a few years back. Now I get migraines when I do detail work. Why wasn't that IN when I was at college! I wish you luck.
Well the problem is that I can't afford to make half of what I'm making now, so a part time job wouldn't do me any good...I'd actually make less because I get paid so much at my current job. Atleast if I went back to my current job part time, I could go back part time but get paid for full.

I'm meeting with my doctor today and see what he says. I talked to my manager and she said once I do that, they'll work up a plan for how long I can come back part time but get paid full. That in itself doesn't bother me..work for half a day and get paid for a full? Sign me up! But I'm worried that it will do more harm to ME in the long run.

Of course I feel like some who don't understand will read this and say "Wait...aren't you on here for like 12 hours a day?" *lol* Yes, yes I am, but I'm not typing constantly for hours. I can get up, relax, stretch, do whatever I have to do. At work because of our call volume, I can't. For atleast 2 hours I'm taking calls, about one every 2 seconds after one hangs up, so my hands almost never leave the keyboard for more than 3 seconds, and it's a real strain.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I went to the doctor and he said whether I stay out longer or go back part time it won't affect me in the long run, so he's recommending I go back part time (but I'll get paid full) for 4 weeks.

Now I just have to wait for the insurance company and my work to get the records about this from my doctor and for them to approve it.

I should be back to work April 9th. I just wonder what shifts I'll be scheduled. I usually do split shifts, like work 8-12, 4:30 - 8 that sort of thing. I wonder if I'll get the earlier half or the later half...probably the later.