What is the first thing you do when you get you paycheck?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go online and pay my bills. Not a dime of it gets to be spent on myself until I have paid everything else off. Am I the only one? Some girls at work go shopping right away.

How about you?

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH pays the bills, so I don't worry about it (not that I can't, just that I prefer not to have to deal with that), but he'll go over things with me, show me where money went in the budget, and THEN we go shopping.

And before anyone goes there, I am ALWAYS aware of our financial situation. I just don't deal with the bills.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep what money is needed for any direct debits that are to be paid such as my monthly subscription to the cats protection etc..., then whats left i go shopping with and put any remaining in my other account so it gets some interest on it

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My paycheck is automatically direct deposited from work, some in checking, some in savings. All I get is my pay stub in the mail. I write out checks/make online payments as I get them and shop as I need to without really paying much attention to when my paycheck comes. I check my checking account balance a couple of times a week and transfer funds in or out as needed. I like to keep a fairly good chunk in savings for emergencies. Unfortunately, next week I'm getting a dental implant, so it's going to make a huge dent in my savings account (still about $1500 after insurance.) Not looking forward to taking that much out, lol!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I schedule my online payments ahead of time so that they are usually taken out the day I get paid, so the money needed for bills is automatically gone, after that there's not much left for shopping

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Day I get paid I go to the bank and pay my bills and then get a little extra to go drinking as well as some money from Epona

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I go online and pay my bills. Not a dime of it gets to be spent on myself until I have paid everything else off. Am I the only one? Some girls at work go shopping right away.

How about you?
I'm exactly the same way - responsible!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, I let out a great big

Then I put it in the bank.

Then that night I go online and pay all my bills.

Then I cry myself to sleep over how little I have left.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

I know exactly what is needed for bills and I have automatic payments set and I spend some and save some!
I don't use automatic payments - I must be in control at all times, LOL.

But I do try to save at least a little bit: I pay into my savings twice a month like it is a regular bill. I have an ING account and so far it has worked really well in helping me to save something, plus the interest rate s great!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have direct deposit, too. On payday mornings, I check my bank balance. Most of my bills are paid online and I schedule any necessary payments ahead of time.

My widow's pension will hit the bank at midnight tonight and half of my car payment is already scheduled to go out on Monday. Tomorrow morning, I'll drop off my rent check.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be desperate for payday and when I got paid I'd go out and buy food, petrol, cat stuff etc. but I'm not so bad now. I have a separate bank account for all my bills so as soon as my salary goes into my main account a big chunk of it is immediately transferred into my bills account and all my bills go out from there as direct debits or standing orders. So I know that what I have left in my main account is for food, petrol and non essential living expenses. I used to go to pets at home once a month after payday to get cat food, litter etc. for the month but I now buy litter with my groceries, food when it's on offer at pets at home or online etc so don't do it in one shop. I do tend to do a big food shop online once a month when I get paid for bulky items, cleaning stuff etc.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

The first thing I do when I get my paycheque?

Cry
That's what I do just after paying all the bills -- so sad to see what's left from my paycheque (Hey Boss, I need a raise!!!!)

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

That's what I do just after paying all the bills -- so sad to see what's left from my paycheque (Hey Boss, I need a raise!!!!)
I just got a nice raise recently, and boy was I bummed out to discover that it only netted me an extra $7 in my check per week! Yeah...that'll help me get ahead in the world.

Lunch, anyone?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
errr, not much, sometimes work has to call me and yell at me to cash them so they can close there books.

I kinda lived for long time with just getting by, Now i just kinda refuse to live pay day to pay day, i live below what i could buy i guess you could say.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am really organized when it comes to our bills. I have an excel spreadsheet for 5 months at a time. I plan out which pay the bills come out of & then anything left over goes to our savings (which isn't anything right now).
I set-up online payments myself but I do this after I see the Direct Deposit hit the account. Since I worked in the banking industry I have seen too many direct deposits not making it in or the bank's system was down. I like the control of going to each site than bill pay that does it all in one. I sweep all the bill money to our joint account & anything to pay at a later date goes into a separate savings account. When the bills clear I highlight the amount in red, blue is unpaid, & orange is pending. I also add the payment confirmation # in as a comment.