Semi-Feral Small Fry lost kittens

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yea. She miscarried. When I went down a few days ago to feed she was really skinny. I had the chance to nose around today and I found them. I'm not going into details as to what they looked like, let's just say deformed doesn't come close. I never ever want to see that again for the rest of my life but it's going to haunt me. I buried them. I couldn't think of what else to do and called the vet. SF was on some of the recalled foods.
Vet thinks it damaged the babies but without a necropsy (sp) we won't know for sure. I'm still trying to trap her so I can get her checked. Her 2 children have been caught, tested, shoted, wormed and released pending spueter. They tested fine and SF acts perfectly fine, too. It's a precaution for her now. I'm not too worried since she hasn't had the food in awhile but I am kinda worried, too. Poor girl has been through enough in her short life as it is.

linda_of_pgff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Chrissy, and All,

Originally Posted by ChrissyR

Yea. She miscarried.
I am so sorry, I am sure it has been a harrowing experience in MANY ways for you and for Small Fry, too. (BTW I'm in Maryland, too -- so, nice to know someone else is out there, caring!!)

I couldn't think of what else to do and called the vet. SF was on some of the recalled foods.
Vet thinks it damaged the babies but without a necropsy (sp) we won't know for sure. I'm still trying to trap her so I can get her checked. Her 2 children have been caught, tested, shoted, wormed and released pending spueter. They tested fine and SF acts perfectly fine, too. It's a precaution for her now. I'm not too worried since she hasn't had the food in awhile but I am kinda worried, too. Poor girl has been through enough in her short life as it is.
You did the right thing by instinct, then. So, you are feeding some non-Menu foods now? If you aren't can you just get a package of fresh chicken parts now and then, and either offer them as is, or if you prefer, lightly cook them, and feed some of that, just to supplement? I know that the commercial food situation has many people terribly upset, and I sympathize.

Can you plan on having SF TNR'd, as well as retrapping the two children and getting them spayed or neutered? Do I guess right that you know how to use a trap, and have access to one?

Sorry, I know that I sort of wink in and out of TCS, and if I've missed a whole heckuva lot, I apologize, just wanted to let you know someone's thinking of you and SF!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Linda,
Thanks for thinking of us. SF is doing fine. She doesn't seem to notice anything different. As soon as the recall hit (Thank you TCS!) we pulled all the recall food from the house and nobody is getting it anymore.

We have 2 traps up where the 3 kits live. We seem to trap the boy and girl almost everyday. Mom and a stray Tom aren't cooperating with us. Punk (boy) and his sis Sweetheart are both due for altering next week. Now all I have to worry about is Mom and Tom. We've been baiting the traps with the KFC (Thank you Katie) and that's how we got the sibilings. LOL

I'm also glad to see someone else helping out in Maryland!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We have 2 traps up where the 3 kits live. We seem to trap the boy and girl almost everyday. Mom and a stray Tom aren't cooperating with us. Punk (boy) and his sis Sweetheart are both due for altering next week. Now all I have to worry about is Mom and Tom. We've been baiting the traps with the KFC (Thank you Katie) and that's how we got the sibilings.
KFC works everytime!!

If it comes down to it, I've resorted to trapping the already speutered ones and will lock them up in a garage or somewhere away from where I am trapping so that they don't interfere with catching the unaltered cats. Once I caught the ones that I was after, I put the altered ones back into their environment.

I know they say that once trapped, cats will not approach a trap again, but I had a spayed female that would prance into any trap with food in it, then wait patiently for me to release her. The trap would spring and she would just calmly eat the food in the trap without even flinching. I probably trapped her 50 times. She was the first cat I TNR'd and it took me 5 years to catch her sister cause I was too dumb to separate the 2 when I tried to trap. Tan Foot would wander in, Blackie would witness it and realize she didn't want to go there. The size of my household is a testament to this.