~9 month old cat size of a kitten??~

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We took in a 8-9 month old cat that is the size of a 3 month old kitten. She is of good weight, healthy, no problems etc other than she is just sooooo short for her age. There are a few smaller cats roaming the neighborhood as well so is it possible she may be a Munchkin mixed cat? She eats fine and gains weight but hasnt grown an inch since Ive had her. She is about 7-8 inches tall. Is there any rare disease etc that could make her growth stunted?

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she been checked out at the vets. I guess as long as she's healthy, eats well & active there's no problem.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
when we took in Cricket, she was over a year and only four pounds, and had just finished weaning a litter of kittens.
She is now a fine 8 pounds, still built smaller than my other cat, but healthy.

Since you took this one in, you don't know what kind of nutrition she was getting before, maybe she is just a late bloomer and now with regular meals and love, she will grow.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
she could just be a little cat (hopefully that's all it is) I have a kitty that is very tiny too!

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine has an adult female cat who is the same size as a three month old kitten. She didn't grow, was diagnosed with giardia (parasite), treated with Panacur, stopped eating and actually losing weight, she still had giardia, they treated her with metrazol and subsequent tests showed she was clear. Everyone (including the vet) thought she didn't grow as she should because of the Giardia she had, but when that was treated she still didn't grow. They vet went back over her file and spotted something in her bloodwork, they tested her and it turned out her pancreas isn't really working (EPI).

shiraz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My friend has a female cat, approx 2 yrs old who's the size of a 3-4 month old kit as well. She rescued her baby from the outside when she was quite young, and they bottle fed her for quite a few weeks before she became interested in solid food, but she never did grow. My friend also lives out in the country and there are (unfortunately
) quite a few older farmers around who won't speuter their barn cats, who have all inbred over the generations, so they're pretty sure her kitten is just the result of lack of nutrition when she was quite young and maybe a few too many mother/son/brother/sister encounters. She was perfectly healthy for over a year, but now she's begun loosing her teeth and she's also come up + for f.leuk
But perhaps your cat just didn't get quite what she needed when she needed it most, and that's what stunted her growth?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom_2_3

We took in a 8-9 month old cat that is the size of a 3 month old kitten. She is of good weight, healthy, no problems etc other than she is just sooooo short for her age. There are a few smaller cats roaming the neighborhood as well so is it possible she may be a Munchkin mixed cat? She eats fine and gains weight but hasnt grown an inch since Ive had her. She is about 7-8 inches tall. Is there any rare disease etc that could make her growth stunted?
You say she is of good weight but never say what her weight is.