Researching dry food again...

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, I'm another one that wants to change food because of the recall. However, I haven't had to do this in a long time so I need suggestions. Right now Baylee gets Nutro Natural Choice, the indoor weight management formula. I need something for her that will manage her weight...

I can't remember how much protein she should be getting and how much is too much (the last time I researched foods, she was just a kitten), how much ash is too much and what else I should pay attention.

Can anyone refresh my memory of what she needs/doesn't need in her food? And give me suggestions - off the top of my head I was thinking Petguard, since we used to use that and I conveniently live near the health food store I used to buy that... but I'm open to other ideas.

Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One DRY FOOD IS not in the RECALL and is MADE AT a COMPANY OWNED and MONITORED PLANT

Petguards dry food leaves me

how old is she >?? how much does she weigh and what should she weigh...???

if she is looking for a good low fat food with good protein try solid gold it is 34% protein and 12 fat

right now she is getting 33 and 10-13

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

One DRY FOOD IS not in the RECALL and is MADE AT a COMPANY OWNED and MONITORED PLANT

Petguards dry food leaves me

how old is she >?? how much does she weigh and what should she weigh...???

if she is looking for a good low fat food with good protein try solid gold it is 34% protein and 12 fat

right now she is getting 33 and 10-13
Why does Petguards dry food leave you "
" ? And which dry food are you referring to?

Baylee is almost 3 years old... I don't remember he exact weight but I think she's around 12 and she's maybe a pound or two over. She's barely overweight.

Where is Solid Gold available, btw?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PetGuard Premium Cat & Kitten Dry Food
INGREDIENTS:
Fresh Chicken, Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Ground Corn, Brown Rice, Sunflower Oil, Ground Whole Wheat, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Fish Oil, Dried Whole Eggs, Dried Kelp, Dried Whey, Brewer's Yeast, Calcium Ascorbate (Source of Vitamin C), Apple Fiber, Alfalfa Meal, Sea Salt, DL-Methionine, Lecithin, Taurine, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Supplement, Ergocalciferol (Source of Viatmin D2), Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of B2), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine (Source of Vitamin B1), Biotin, Niacin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein………………………..30% Min
Crude Fat…………………………….15% Min
Crude Fiber……………………………3% Max
Moisture………………………………12% Max
Ash.…………………………………….5% Max
Calcium….……………………………..1% Min
Phosphorus…………………………0.08% Min
Magnesium………………………….0.10% Max
Taurine………………………………0.12% Min
Vitamin E……………………..…250 IU/Kg Min
*Vitamin C………………………100 Mg/Kg Min
*Fatty Acids (Omega 3)……………1.80% Min
*Fatty Acids (Omega 6)……………7.20% Min

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient in the AAFCO Nutrient Profile
http://www.petguard.com/cat-products...itten-dry-food

one meat and four grains.... her current is 1 meat to one grain

two of the grains are corn and wheat ... corn not real digestable and wheat is a high allergen

SG at petco and small stores

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I didn't notice that. However, there's only one meat in SG, right? Lamb?

What about Chicken Soup?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

which one? am i understanding you correctly - that there's one that probably should be recalled but hasn't been?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

Hmmm, I didn't notice that. However, there's only one meat in SG, right? Lamb?

What about Chicken Soup?
Nope .. SG has lamb chicken and fish

Chicken soup is30 protein 20 fat in the reg there light is 33 and 9 I think

NO DRY foods have been RECALLED and I DOUBT any will since NUTRO and many of the others in the WET recall are made by the company in a company owned plant .... Meaning the ingrediants and production are done and overseen by the company whose name is on the Bag...
I just received a note from Nutro ... saying to tell people to STOP using the recalled products regardless of the date...

On a more comforting note .. 90% of Nutros products are made at the Nutro plants

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried California Natural dry and Natural Balance dry and liked both...